Polar Heart Rate Monitor Q?

Postby VERT on Fri 15/May/09 6:15pm

I have just got a Polar CS100 HRM, I was trying it out for the 1st time today. I wet the preasure points on the belt with a decent amount of water. Problem I am having is I can only get a heart beat if I hold the computer right next to the belt, as soon as I put it on my bike (or 30cm away) I get nothing.

The belt is strapped on me in the posisition as mentioned in the instructions

What am I doing wrong? or is it faulty?
VERT
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Polar Heart Rate Monitor Q?

Postby Fergie on Fri 15/May/09 6:21pm

Is it new?
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby VERT on Fri 15/May/09 6:27pm

Fergie wrote:Is it new?

yes, brand spanking
VERT
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 15/May/09 6:32pm

Hmmmm, may have to take it back to the store you got it from. Check on the Polar site but you should get better performance than that.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Jono on Fri 15/May/09 6:39pm

Fergie wrote:Hmmmm, may have to take it back to the store you got it from. Check on the Polar site but you should get better performance than that.

Yeah - I've had polar HRM's on my bikes for years, and they definitely get more than 30cm of range. I find it's usually the battery in the chest strap that goes first.

I would recommend using a bunch of water (I use a big gob of spit myself) on both of the strap sensors and see if it makes any difference. For some reason spit always works better for me...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby wgtngrl on Fri 15/May/09 6:50pm

If it's working when it's close but not when it's where it needs to be it sounds to me like it's faulty (ie, not battery and not not working altogether). I'd take it back and ask for a replacement and hopefully they'll play nice and just give you one there and then. If not, I'd try going direct to polar as I've heard they're pretty good with stuff like that.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby DaveAldred on Fri 15/May/09 7:15pm

Sounds like the batteries.

But as above do try flobbing on the strap. Water is weak. Flob on it, then flob on some other stuff, like your stem, bars, mobile phone and shoes. I don't think I have anything that doesn't work better after being flobbed on. If returning it, make sure you flob on the strap in front of the shop counter to give a demo.

Flobbing on your monitor transmitter was de rigeur back in the days when I was a hardout, shaved my legs and actually completed races.

Sounds like you are getting bit serious there Pete ;-)
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby BiteMe on Fri 15/May/09 8:21pm

Flobbing=
"F&*king while bouncing around on a bed"
That doesn't fit Davo...?

Even if it is the batteries Vert you have a leg to stand on taking it back straight away and getting them to replace the batteries, some of these things sit in storage or on a shelf for months. Consumers right to return anything that does not work :thumbsup:
BiteMe
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 15/May/09 8:46pm

:thumbsup: Hockle was the go on my Polar units too.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Spokes on Fri 15/May/09 8:54pm

My guess is your heart is faulty, take it back for a warranty.

"Charging!!".

"Clear!!!".
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Cycling | Health | Mountain Biking | Sifting - Latest Posts