$50m For National Cycleway Says Key

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Thu 14/May/09 11:39am

The Government will spend $50 million over three years for the national cycleway project, Prime Minister John Key said today.

Mr Key told a tourism conference in Auckland the money will be spent on series of regional bike tracks.

"I propose to create a series of 'Great Rides' of New Zealand, with a long term aim of creating a network throughout the country," Mr Key said.

"Some promising routes have already been identified and I expect to have announcement on them in the next couple of months."

The idea of a cycleway to create jobs and increase tourist numbers came out of the jobs summit earlier this year.

Finance Minister Bill English had appeared to pour cold water about spending large amounts on the project earlier, but yesterday he told Parliament that an announcement today would show who was boss.

- NZPA

From http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... y-says-Key
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: $50m For National Cycleway Says Key

Postby johnb on Thu 14/May/09 2:54pm

Good on John Keys, he is the man
johnb
"Cannondale Synapse 2009, the real deal"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Thermo on Thu 14/May/09 8:21pm

John Key. It says it up there in the article. How could you miss that? :crazy:
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 14/May/09 8:24pm

it won't take long before the walkers get to use it too, and then start complaining about the cyclists...
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 14/May/09 8:24pm

Thermo wrote:John Key. It says it up there in the article. How could you miss that? :crazy:

He saw that, he was implying there are two of them
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 14/May/09 8:29pm

the one in the article is good key, bad key is in the lair.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Eion on Thu 14/May/09 11:54pm

Cycleway to the top of Mt Cook would be good
Eion
"Serial Scrapist"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby J1 on Fri 15/May/09 6:49am

This is good news and shows some creative insight into future tourism trends.
I do have concern that without careful research into what cycling experiences overseas tourists really want when they do come here, that this pot of gold will be snaffled up and put into well meaning but extravagant commuting type cycleways or similar ill founded initiatives. My experience with the Oz MTBers that are already coming over and cruising the SI for 10 days in a crowded Campervan, to get to realise some of the Classic MTB Rides of the Kennetts Bros book. This book has done more for promoting MTBing in NZ than any government sponsored promo could ever achieve. Part of this initiative should be to fund and send out the latest edition of "Classic MTB Rides" to all MTB clubs and interest groups to our trans Tasman cousins!
The rest should be used to prise open "our" DOC controlled "assets" and enable domestic and international recreational cycling tourists to experience and enjoy these totally NZ areas.
J1
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby thorg on Fri 15/May/09 7:55am

J1 wrote:This is good news and shows some creative insight into future tourism trends.
I do have concern that without careful research into what cycling experiences overseas tourists really want when they do come here, that this pot of gold will be snaffled up and put into well meaning but extravagant commuting type cycleways or similar ill founded initiatives. My experience with the Oz MTBers that are already coming over and cruising the SI for 10 days in a crowded Campervan, to get to realise some of the Classic MTB Rides of the Kennetts Bros book. This book has done more for promoting MTBing in NZ than any government sponsored promo could ever achieve. Part of this initiative should be to fund and send out the latest edition of "Classic MTB Rides" to all MTB clubs and interest groups to our trans Tasman cousins!
The rest should be used to prise open "our" DOC controlled "assets" and enable domestic and international recreational cycling tourists to experience and enjoy these totally NZ areas.
Funnily enough you are likely to be about 100% WRONG if we are after international tourists. International and national trends are for ageing tourists who want more by way of services and standards, not FIT who go mountainbiking. This would tend to a well groomed (if not sealed) path with lots of accomodation of 3star or more along its length (think the rail trail, only different). this trail may (some would say should) link up to a lot of cycling areas where people could enjoy an MTB experience, but if it is the international tourist we are after, it would be better to link up the known day stop tourist spots, not mountainbike destination settings.

Seeing as the whole shebang will be hijacked by political interests and grandstanding individuals wanting a slice of the action, I fear it will turn into a mish mash of nothing that will epic fail.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Fri 15/May/09 9:18am

Or...it might be sometimes great and sometimes average. Better this massive commitment to cycling than nothing, is my feeling.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Fri 15/May/09 9:29am

Oli wrote:Or...it might be sometimes great and sometimes average. Better this massive commitment to cycling than nothing, is my feeling.
thats cause you're an optimist and I'm a cynic realist :-D
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby Oli on Fri 15/May/09 9:41am

So $50 million injected into cycling can be a bad thing? You're a hard man to please! :crazy:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Fri 15/May/09 9:58am

Oli wrote:So $50 million injected into cycling can be a bad thing? You're a hard man to please! :crazy:
Not a bad thing - it's just 50 mill could be FANTASTIC, and I fear it will be less so :huh:
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 15/May/09 10:00am

Thorg's so edgy and cynical. :rolleyes:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby thorg on Fri 15/May/09 10:01am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:Thorg's so edgy and cynical. :rolleyes:
:D
thorg
"what blog?"

Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | National Politics | News | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts