Rodney Hide - King Of Auckland?

Postby Tama on Thu 14/May/09 8:46am

Can someone please explain to me why the leader of a political party which got a whole 3.65% votes in the last election and is only in Parliament because 21,102 voted for said leader in his electorate now seems to have been given massive power over the country's biggest city which is home to a third of the population?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10571944 wrote:The Local Government (Auckland Reorganisation) Bill being passed under urgency today also sets up the "Auckland Transition Agency", whose job will be to restructure the eight councils into a single entity by October 31 next year. It will also have the power to constrain the decision-making powers of the existing councils and their subsidiaries.

The only people the chief executive will be accountable to are the members of the transition agency, who in turn, will report to Mr Hide. The agency must obtain the approval of Mr Hide and Finance Minister Bill English for spending. The transition has not been costed. The royal commission put a rough cost of between $120 million and $240 million on its simpler model of a super council and six councils under it.

I must admit this wouldn't bother me as much if ACT was the "Liberal Party" (social and economic libertarians) they purported themselves to be, rather than a "tough on law and order" populist party with a failed economic ideology from 20 years ago.

Mmmm... democracy...
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Rodney Hide - King Of Auckland?

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 14/May/09 9:01am

it sucks. he sucks. the whole deal of them weilding so much power sucks.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby bugle on Thu 14/May/09 9:03am

Hope all you Aucklanders who voted for MMP all those years ago are happy now...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 14/May/09 9:27am

just like i hope all the people who voted for Nazional BECAUSE of the tax cuts are gonna be happy now that they're not getting any!!!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Thu 14/May/09 9:29am

swtchbckr wrote:just like i hope all the people who voted for Nazional BECAUSE of the tax cuts are gonna be happy now that they're not getting any!!!

Yeah, but at least they're employing that silly bint with the big ear rings. BEST GOVERNMENT EVA.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 14/May/09 9:43am

Umm, I'm not seeing the problem. Somebody has to structure the amalagation. And the group that does so should be accountable to a Minister, like every other piece of the bureaucracy is.

And if that particular minister is competent and ensures the bureaucracy does a half decent job then it should all work fine. If however that minister is a micromanaging cockfag, who has been allowed to bully and wrange his way into a position of undue infulence then punters got who they voted for.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Thu 14/May/09 10:31am

thats politics
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 11:02am

Granted the whole super-shitty thing being a crock but what is your objection here? Local authorities only have powers that are granted to them by central govt, they have no autonomy to make their own decisions, well, they didnt untill some doucebag decided to give them the power of general competence, an oxymoron if ever i saw one.

You would think that removing competition between councils wouldnt be the aim of a 'liberal' party.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Joel on Thu 14/May/09 11:41am

there is no compeition between councils, only duplication of beurocracy (sp?)
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 11:48am

Joel wrote:there is no compeition between councils, only duplication of beurocracy (sp?)

Well actually there is a small level of competition that helps keep councils honest, ie if North Shore raises rates to very high levels then residents can move to Auckland or Waitakere (yes I realise there are limitations to this) but it is still a factor when the counter is now there is no place to go if the new council decides to do somethign you do not agree with.
phunk

Postby Joel on Thu 14/May/09 11:53am

phunk wrote:
Joel wrote:there is no compeition between councils, only duplication of beurocracy (sp?)

Well actually there is a small level of competition that helps keep councils honest, ie if North Shore raises rates to very high levels then residents can move to Auckland or Waitakere (yes I realise there are limitations to this) but it is still a factor when the counter is now there is no place to go if the new council decides to do somethign you do not agree with.

fair point, but i do not believe councils actually think like that. rate rises are fought by the residents within council disitrict.. with councilors looking after their own arse of getting voted back in..
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Purple_Helmet on Thu 14/May/09 1:00pm

It was quite surprising that National chose to take actions quite far removed from the royal commission's recommendations, thereby tieing their political fate to the outcome of the restructuring. Labour set up the commission in the first place to deflect any damage from the resulting crapstorm by saying they were only following guidance from an independent body. They well understood the potential destruction that could be visited on any party that tried to mess with local body politics in Auckland.

So why did National do it? I reckon it's because the Jonkey knew that Rodney Hide is a psycho, a liability and would be a perfectly willing scapegoat right from the get go. There is no end to the amount of rope that man will accept to hang himself. Local government portfolio Rodney? Thanks. Primary responsibility for an impending debacle? Sure. He is an idiot and is quickly going to find himself swinging from the very tip of the longest limb, as far away from the National party as they can get him. All the while the Jonkey will be smirking his own innocence gleefully.
Purple_Helmet
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 1:03pm

Purple_Helmet wrote:It was quite surprising that National chose to take actions quite far removed from the royal commission's recommendations

Why it was a sop set up by Labour to produce the result they wanted.
phunk

Postby Purple_Helmet on Thu 14/May/09 1:20pm

phunk wrote:
Purple_Helmet wrote:It was quite surprising that National chose to take actions quite far removed from the royal commission's recommendations

Why? It was a sop set up by Labour to produce the result they wanted.

Because the inevitable, heinously over-budget mess that this restructuring will create before the next election is now National's fault - unless Rodney can be made to wear it. Pissing off a third of the country's voters is a big risk if you want to be re-elected.
Purple_Helmet
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby phunk on Thu 14/May/09 1:38pm

Purple_Helmet wrote:
phunk wrote:

Why? It was a sop set up by Labour to produce the result they wanted.

Because the inevitable, heinously over-budget mess that this restructuring will create before the next election is now National's fault - unless Rodney can be made to wear it. Pissing off a third of the country's voters is a big risk if you want to be re-elected.

Thats why they are doing it now, in three years time people will have already forgotten all about it, plus noone really cares about local body politics as long as rates dont go up by alot each year.
phunk

Auckland | Auckland Region | Local Politics | New Zealand | Politics | Regions | Sifting | Upper North Island - Latest Posts