More Snow Graces South Island Ski Areas

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Tue 12/May/09 8:33am

Yet more snow has graced New Zealand’s southern ski areas in an excellent build up to next month’s season opening.

Mountain crew at Mt Hutt in Canterbury and Coronet Peak and The Remarkables in Queenstown are celebrating the arrival of even more white stuff over the weekend.

Mt Hutt now has a base of 110cm after receiving 50cm of snow at the weekend. The high country ski resort has enjoyed more than 170cm of snowfall over the last 10 days.

Dave Wilson, Ski Area Manager for Mt Hutt, said it was the best early snow the ski area had had in decades.

“I’ve been working at Mt Hutt for eight years and I’ve never witnessed falls like this so early in the season,” he said. “Methven is buzzing and it’s great news for local business. There’s nothing like getting great early snow to get the phones ringing hot with enquiries.”

Further south in Queenstown, the weekend snowfall delivered 25cm of new snow to the top of Coronet Peak.

Coronet Peak has enjoyed up to 50cm of snow over the past seven days providing good base conditions prior to a scheduled season opening on 6 June, according to Hamish McCrostie, Ski Area Manager.

“We’re well and truly gearing up to open in less than four weeks and we’re thrilled with current conditions,” he said. “We’ll be keeping a close eye on the forecast with a view to start snowmaking around the 25th of May.”

Across the valley at The Remarkables, 20cm of snow fell over the weekend. The ski area has received 55cm of snow over the past week.

Ross Lawrence, Ski Area Manager for The Remarkables, said the snow had formed a good base and was doing a great job in cooling down the ground surface.

“We had a few keen local freestyle skiers up here over the weekend hitting the rails in the fresh snow which was great to see,” he said.

Coronet Peak and The Remarkables are scheduled to open on Saturday 6 June and Saturday 20 June respectively. Mt Hutt is scheduled to open on Saturday 13 June.
Mt Hutt 110509 med.jpg
Mt Hutt is buried in snow after receiving another 50cm at the weekend
Coronet Peak 110509 med.jpg
The M1 (lower M1) at Coronet Peak glistens with new snow
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: More Snow Graces South Island Ski Areas

Postby Trail on Tue 12/May/09 8:38am

Wasn't it only a couple of years back that we got a huge dump about this early in the season and it turned out to be an awful ski season... :paranoid:

I hope that there is good snow this season!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 12/May/09 8:41am

Trail wrote:Wasn't it only a couple of years back that we got a huge dump about this early in the season and it turned out to be an awful ski season... :paranoid:

I hope that there is good snow this season!!

Yea, I think it snowed hard, then the wind blew it all away right after.

This year feels colder tho, so I recon it'll be a white winter.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Tue 12/May/09 8:45am

Trail wrote:Wasn't it only a couple of years back that we got a huge dump about this early in the season and it turned out to be an awful ski season... :paranoid:

Gargh! You've jinxed it - now it will be your fault if the ski season is bad!

Trail wrote:I hope that there is good snow this season!!

Gargh! You've jinxed it again - now it will really be your fault if the ski season is bad!
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Tue 12/May/09 8:46am

As I remember it snowed hard, and then there were warm Nor-westers that melted it all very quickly.

Have you seen the forecast for thursday/friday :sneaky:
Trail

Postby crazychris on Tue 12/May/09 8:59am

Trail wrote:As I remember it snowed hard, and then there were warm Nor-westers that melted it all very quickly.

deja vu!
Thu 14 Fine with variable cloud. Northwesterlies freshening.
Fri 15 Mainly fine, but brief rain possible. Strong northwesterlies developing.
Sat 16 Fine. Strong and gusty northwesterlies.
Sun 17 Showers. Northwesterlies.

:(
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby radiusq on Tue 12/May/09 12:24pm

There's always so much hype about the upcoming snow season. Every year it's the same - that the resorts are expecting the upcoming season to be the best on record. It's always setting out to disappoint. The Ministry of Propaganda had nothing on the PR people at these skifelds.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 12/May/09 12:31pm

Trail wrote:As I remember it snowed hard, and then there were warm Nor-westers that melted it all very quickly.

If you mean the biggish one in 06 then as I recall June, July and up to mid August were fantastic, and then it just went to poo and was almost unskiiable in September. I was a bit bummed that there was no spring skiing but since I'd gotten in about 35 days before it went to crap it was still a good season overall.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Tue 12/May/09 12:35pm

j2hyde wrote:

If you mean the biggish one in 06 then as I recall June, July and up to mid August were fantastic, and then it just went to poo and was almost unskiiable in September. I was a bit bummed that there was no spring skiing but since I'd gotten in about 35 days before it went to crap it was still a good season overall.

Yep that one. There might have been snow on the hills, but the snow conditions were not what i would call fantastic unless you really like skiing on ice. From my memory the first few weeks of the season were great, but conditions changed to bollocks pretty quick.
Trail

Canterbury | Coronet Peak | Lower South Island | Middle South Island | Mount Hutt | New Zealand | News | Otago | Queenstown | Regions | Remarkables | Skiing | Snow | Snowboarding - Latest Posts