Cycle Touring Insurance

Postby vanman on Wed 6/May/09 3:18pm

'ey up

Kaf and I are off on a big mission that will include 5 months of cycle touring in Europe.

The problem is finding good travel insurance that doesn't have silly clauses like nothing is covered if you are riding your bikes and the bike are only covered against theft when you are with them!

Anyone come across a good travel insurance plan for NZ residents when away overseas?

Cheers.
vanman
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Cycle Touring Insurance

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 6/May/09 3:48pm

I've been told that Marsh Insurance (in Dunedin). Don't know if its the best option but it is an option.... and is the one used by Bike NZ and Triathlon NZ

Apparently Downunder insurance offer some adventurer/backpacker type cover that allows for the "extreme" activities most travel insurance won't cover (ie Racing)
friends of mine in canada are using Marsh insurance
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby vanman on Wed 6/May/09 4:07pm

Cheers for that Bob, I'm trying Marsh right now.

I talked to Mike Henry insurance and the woman there said I wouldn't find any company in NZ that would give me 'sensible' cover for our trip.

If we were resident in the UK really good cycle touring insuarance would set us back about 150 quid. Here mediocre travel insurance will cost us $1000!!! :crazy:
vanman
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby TheTrickster on Wed 6/May/09 7:28pm

I'm doing a little cycle touring (4 days) and because of this post I checked my policy, and it appears I'm covered by Southern Cross, at least for personal injury anyway.

The only part that they could perhaps deny me on would be "Intentionally and recklessly" placing yourself in circumstances, or undertaking activities which pose a risk to personal safety (except in an attempt to save a human life).
TheTrickster
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 6/May/09 8:50pm

Glad I could help You out Vanman,
have a great trip, Take lots of photos, and make us all jealous :thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Diana Parr on Thu 22/May/14 7:43pm

Hi vanman
Did you find some cycle touring travel insurance? It's 5 years since your post and I'm in the same situation that you were back then. If anyone knows of travel insurance that will cover a NZ resident with a locked bicycle in a public place in Europe, let me know,
Thanks
Diana Parr
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Europe | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts