An Ethical Question About Peoples Insides

Postby DropKick on Mon 4/May/09 8:31pm

As you know, in this modern age we can do wonderous things like take organs from one person and transplant them into another person whose own ones arent doing so flash.

However theres many people dying every year because the supply is much less than demand. Infact only ~30 people donate their organs a year. Yet probably the majority of us have "organ donor" on our drivers license.

The reason behind this low conversion rate is because the organ procurement guys arent allowed to go near donor candidate until the donors family are around to consent (often by the time the family is available the organs are no good to use anyway), then theres the families who say no, usually cos they are emotionally stressed, and primarily cos the donor in question never took the time to discuss it with his family.

I was thinking about it today, why are we letting dozens (if not hundreds) of organs going to waste every year from people who said on their license they want to, when we could skip the extra formalities and just go ahead and take them?
To the individual/family it sounds like a massive violation of rights, however its somewhat like paying income tax - in the end its for the benefit of greater society.

Your thoughts? :eh:

(not talking about taking them from people who say no on drivers license here)...
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: An Ethical Question About Peoples Insides

Postby istepinyards on Mon 4/May/09 8:38pm

That question is a little close to my heart too Greg.
We could not donate any organs from my brother because he had forgotten to put it on his licence even though we as a family knew its what he would have wanted. Pretty hard to change ethical practices in the first place isn't it
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby isnowi on Mon 4/May/09 8:41pm

I reckon that having organ donor on your license is not enough, how about a medic aid type bracelet that states the same. You could quicken the donor process by making a prerequisite of having one of the bracelets that you next of kin is aware and has signed the application acknowledging that the medicine men can carve away should the worst happen.

I know there's a hell of a lot more to it than that, but it's an idea.

Cheers, Dan
isnowi
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby stuart_rv on Mon 4/May/09 8:42pm

If they have donor on their license then you would think that it would be all the consent required.
stuart_rv
"So you say."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby ants06 on Mon 4/May/09 8:42pm

To me if they have stated in writing (eg drivers L) then they should be able to take internal organs a.s.a.p as it was therewish and to me the family have no say in the matter.

** don't mean to upset any one **
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby wgtngrl on Mon 4/May/09 8:43pm

Wow - I thought putting it on your license was saying please take it if I won't be using it again :eh:

As long as I'm in NZ I'm sure they'd manage to contact my family in time, but what an absurd waste any time they can't.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 4/May/09 8:45pm

Why not do what me and Mr C. Montgomery Burns have done, and bought them on the black market?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Mon 4/May/09 8:46pm

I put it (that I am a donor) on my license specifically so my organs can be used without anyone else having a choice. How come that isn't enough? No one told me my word wasn't final on this! :angry:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby xcmtb on Mon 4/May/09 8:46pm

I think bracelets is a bit far... People with medic alert ones, it's for their safety, wearing a bracelet all your life because you want to be a donor, not so practical. However some form of record to show that your next of kin has agreed would be a good idea.
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby phunk on Mon 4/May/09 8:48pm

Oli wrote:I put it (that I am a donor) on my license specifically so my organs can be used without anyone else having a choice. How come that isn't enough? No one told me my word wasn't final on this! :angry:

Because once you are dead you then 'belong' to your next of kin and it is their decision.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby ants06 on Mon 4/May/09 8:49pm

There just not to touch my men , might need them in the next life :p
ants06
"Google first muppet"

Postby DropKick on Mon 4/May/09 8:49pm

isnowi wrote:I reckon that having organ donor on your license is not enough, how about a medic aid type bracelet that states the same.

I'm quite happy to donate my finest organs (except my junk, I'm not gonna give up him for all eternity), but would find wearing a bracelet a pain in the ass and/or a little Mr T like.

One of the reasons why its on your license primarily rather than other means is because often the people with desireable organs (ie - young, otherwise healthy) are usually made donor candidates via car accidents... (thus often have it nearby).

Stating it on your license isnt legally binding. They wouldnt even think about taking them without full consent from the family (probably over the phone wouldnt be enough i wouldnt think).
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby faux_name on Mon 4/May/09 8:51pm

:D
Last edited by faux_name on Thu 27/Mar/14 3:38am, edited 1 time in total.
faux_name
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Mon 4/May/09 8:52pm

phunk wrote:
Oli wrote:I put it (that I am a donor) on my license specifically so my organs can be used without anyone else having a choice. How come that isn't enough? No one told me my word wasn't final on this! :angry:

Because once you are dead you then 'belong' to your next of kin and it is their decision.

That's fucking ridiculous! What's the freaking point? I'm OUTRAGED AND FURIOUS! :angry:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby ants06 on Mon 4/May/09 8:54pm

Hmmm im thinking a tattoo right by the heart say " take my organs biarch"
ants06
"Google first muppet"

Health | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts