Gareth Varley Memorial Track Building Project

Postby cruiser on Sun 3/May/09 11:59am

Hi all

Been given the go ahead to develop the Gareth Varley into a better MTB park.
The goal is to make it a worthy destination point to visit on its own for an hour or 2, or as a part of the bothamley, Dales Reserve, conclusion walkway/ cycleways and the cannons creek area of belmont etc

They're keen on a couple of Pump tracks. I'm thinking a beginner pump track like the fix and a more techy jump/pump track with transitions and options everywhere.

upgrading the existing 1.5km track to be a loop and add techy challenges and detours to it. I was thinking more pumpable, small jumps, drops, rough sections etc.

also they're keen on a straight out Freestyle jump section with a series of jumps for the DJ boys, dependant on if we can get the dirt in.

I'm putting the proposal to the council for a wishlist of materials, funds etc. That could take a few weeks to sort out. At present there's enough dirt to make a small pump track.

I'm going to spend the time on the Pump track, would be keen to get people out there to chip in, especially if you want a DJ section built. That's last on my list, but if someone else can do a good job building a quality DJ section, that be awesome.

even more cool would be someone to give us a few truckloads of cleanfill, more clay the better:)
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Gareth Varley Memorial Track Building Project

Postby cruiser on Wed 19/Aug/09 10:06am

bump...
meeting with the council 20th aug. I've been told they'd give more consideration to the project if there was a group of people involved rather than a lone ranger. If it developed into an incorporated society great!! but in reality just some names and a few volunteer hours a month would do.

I've managed to get the good old Dept of corrections on board. They'll provide some labour to move dirt around thru supervised community service workers.

anyone keen to put their name to a good cause?

the way I see it It's a free piece of land to mould into a great skills area. Jumps, pumpable tracks, bike control/ skill areas...the list goes on.

And it can bridge tracks together throughout porirua/ belmont in a fun way.
cruiser

Postby Thermo on Wed 19/Aug/09 10:36am

PM'ed you.
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby B4216 on Tue 19/Mar/13 7:46pm

How is theis progressing...

I would be very intrested to hear
B4216
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 19/Mar/13 11:24pm

Since PCC showed an interest in developing colonial knob, much of the current focus of local trail builders is on finalising strategic plan for Colonial knob.

Nothing spectacular got off the ground here. Not really any PCC funding available for it, and without alot of work the park holds too much water in wet periods, which allows the errant motorbike riders to rip it up.

PCC is still open to people who want to make improvements. The community service crew come through and clear the tracks. If you're keen get in touch with mana cycle group.
cruiser

Cycling | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Freeriding (MTB) | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Trail Building | Wellington Region - Latest Posts