How Much Of The National Cycleway Is Already There?

Postby Tama on Thu 30/Apr/09 3:58pm

A few things have surfaced over the past weeks suggesting we're a lot closer to a "National Cycleway" than originally thought.

Venture Southland has been working on a Bluff to Lake Wakatipu riding trail - the Otago Central Rail Trail is already fully functional - and we've recently discovered the Christchurch to Dunedin cycling route that Peter and Linda Seed have mapped out.

I suppose my first question is are there any online collaborative route mapping tools we could use to start piecing things together? With the combined knowledge of the Vorbii I'm sure we can add some more possible routes.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: How Much Of The National Cycleway Is Already There?

Postby pinkmaggit on Thu 30/Apr/09 6:09pm

7, to answer your question.
pinkmaggit
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Jesus-Scotland on Sun 3/May/09 10:00am

Its pretty much all there - much cheaper for the gov't than funding real new routes :thumbsup:
Jesus-Scotland
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby RJM on Tue 28/Jul/09 7:07am

Sadly perhaps none of this is going to generate the expected tourism income. These cycleways are based around the minority sport of mountain biking rather than opening them up to all cyclists. If these were paved (in whatever surface) then you would get the roadies from Australia, you would get the older America tourists, would would even get locals who can only afford the warehouse bikes that are not designed for off road use. You could then have turn offs on the routes for the serious MTBers where need be. You could even get those sentenced to Community Service to maintain the cycleways. If you got DOC to plant some trees next to the routes and set up conservation islands around them you could even reduce our issues with the Kyoto Accord. Sorry but I can't help feeling we are missing a great opportunity here ? :(
RJM
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 28/Jul/09 8:13am

Jesus-Scotland wrote:Its pretty much all there - much cheaper for the gov't than funding real new routes :thumbsup:

agreed, I think its called state highway one. maybe some shoulder widening and some attitude adjustments among its users and we're done :thumbsup:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"

Postby Whoops on Tue 28/Jul/09 9:32am

Tama wrote:
I suppose my first question is are there any online collaborative route mapping tools we could use to start piecing things together? With the combined knowledge of the Vorbii I'm sure we can add some more possible routes.

Gotta be something google flavoured that will do this...
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby nagem on Tue 28/Jul/09 10:06am

Tama wrote:I suppose my first question is are there any online collaborative route mapping tools we could use to start piecing things together? With the combined knowledge of the Vorbii I'm sure we can add some more possible routes.

Will mapymyride.com work? Maybe there could be a vorb login where people can save routes.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby thorg on Tue 28/Jul/09 11:10am

RJM wrote:Sadly perhaps none of this is going to generate the expected tourism income. These cycleways are based around the minority sport of mountain biking rather than opening them up to all cyclists. If these were paved (in whatever surface) then you would get the roadies from Australia, you would get the older America tourists, would would even get locals who can only afford the warehouse bikes that are not designed for off road use. You could then have turn offs on the routes for the serious MTBers where need be. You could even get those sentenced to Community Service to maintain the cycleways. If you got DOC to plant some trees next to the routes and set up conservation islands around them you could even reduce our issues with the Kyoto Accord. Sorry but I can't help feeling we are missing a great opportunity here ? :(
you seem to be suggesting the cycleways be bsaed around the minority sport of road cycling :eh:

I thought they (they being the 7 so far identified) were based around things like the rail trail - where mountain bikes, tourers, commuters, kids, and even roadies (perhaps with a bit of tread on their tyres) were the target market?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Scotty on Tue 28/Jul/09 11:14am

RJM wrote:Sadly perhaps none of this is going to generate the expected tourism income. These cycleways are based around the minority sport of mountain biking rather than opening them up to all cyclists. If these were paved (in whatever surface) then you would get the roadies from Australia, you would get the older America tourists, would would even get locals who can only afford the warehouse bikes that are not designed for off road use.

Dude, have you ever even ridden that rail trail and seen the crappers and the sort of people that happily mosey along it?

Wait that was a rheotrical question: NO. I know you haven't.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Tue 28/Jul/09 11:18am

I can't believe the negativity around about this - surely the fact that any of this is happening is better than none of it? If the foothold these seven sectors give us prove beneficial then we've got the perfect leverage to expand on it. Unfortunately it can't be all things to all people, but it looks like a bloody good thing to me!

Talking about the negativity, I had to laugh watching the news last night - when Key first mooted the whole plan the media were up in arms saying it won't work, it will cost too much, blah, blah, blah and now they're saying that it's too small, it won't generate the jobs promised, blah, blah, blah. Would it kill them to be cautiously optimistic once in a while? :D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby RJD on Tue 28/Jul/09 11:20am

Some bits of NZ are just not going to make easy cruisy tourist rides for fat Americans, and there's no point tarmacking over huge paths to make it easier for them either.

Look at the St James one announced yesterday, its just not going to be an easy ride out from Hanmer up Jacks (assuming it goes that way) and no way is that all going to be metalled.

I also dont see this as being an end to end country ride for a long time, there will be lots of funky sections poping up over the years but you'll probably have to roadie it between parts even when complete.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 28/Jul/09 11:23am

I presume you're talking about politicians Oli?

these people have only two modes of operation, being a liar when in government, and a hypocrite when in opposition. :hmmm:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"

Postby Oli on Tue 28/Jul/09 11:24am

Politicians, reporters, cyclists - you name it.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Tue 28/Jul/09 11:25am

but not civil servants?

they are the worst!
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts