Calendar Event: May 3, 2009

Pushbikes Yahoo Challenge

Postby miniGIANT on Tue 28/Apr/09 7:04pm

The Yahoo Challenge is one of Canterbury’s longest running and most popular MTB events starting in 1998 with 42 keen mountain bikers ready to take up the challenge. Since then the event has continually grown, and this year boasts as the final of the Canterbury XC Series. The course is situated on private high country farm land on Island Hills Station, Hurunui. This land is not open for public use, so this is the only opportunity to ride in this area. The updated course format from 2008 consists of a 16km lap containing 500m ascent, with the addition of an extra 4km of track and 132 ascent in and out of the laps. Don't worry you have the same amount of decent, all for your enjoyment - YAHOO. The track consists of a challenging purpose built downhill through forest terrain, double river crossings, numerous creek crossings, undulating 4WD farm/single tracks, and 4WD farm roads. This provides a great challenging ride to suit all abilities and levels of fitness. Don't delay, enter now for your Yahoo Challenge in 2009.

DISTANCES
Sport – 1 Lap, 20km. Average finishing time 1 hour 45 minutes.
Expert – 2 Laps, 36km. Average finishing time 3 hours.

Website: http://www.pushbikes.co.nz/wb//pages/th ... llenge.php

It doesn't look like there is many people entered in the Yahoo yet. It's one of the funnest courses around especially the singletrack through the pine forest. :D They've shortened the course a lap so it's not gonna be as brutal. It's the the last race for a while so it would be good if there was more people racing so we can all have some good competition. :)
miniGIANT
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Pushbikes Yahoo Challenge

Postby BjWill on Tue 28/Apr/09 7:15pm

I am guessing people are just slack like me and haven't got around to entering.

Raced their twice and love it, haven't raced the new course yet which I hear is much tougher. Hope we have some of this good weather.

Should be fun :D
BjWill
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 28/Apr/09 9:52pm

Less riders = more chance of winning a spot prize - hope its not a tube though :(
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby JUANGEAR on Tue 28/Apr/09 10:00pm

The Prizes from this race are rubbish. What is with the chocolate bars for place prizes. I will be there though cause it is an awesome race on a nice piece of land. So you just watch your arse minigiant ;)
JUANGEAR

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 28/Apr/09 10:03pm

He is a bit young for that! but if you must the forest is probably the safest place.
RHR_Rob

Postby aaron8205 on Wed 29/Apr/09 7:48am

Were is this race
aaron8205
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Wed 29/Apr/09 8:18am

Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Wed 29/Apr/09 8:51am

Deff one of the better 'mountain bike' races none of this wussy gravel rd and bike check crap.

When you have finished you and your bike will be (shock horror) muddy! and your body will will know it has done a real mtb race. but you have all winter to recover......
but dont forget night racing starts the week after :)
RHR_Rob

Postby pbikes on Thu 30/Apr/09 11:55am

The Prizes from this race are rubbish. What is with the chocolate bars for place prizes. I will be there though cause it is an awesome race on a nice piece of land. So you just watch your arse minigiant ;)

Find me an event anywhere in NZ that is only $40 odd dollars to enter, heaps of spotties, no bike check, no PC crap, and has chocolate fish! Last years event had a free T-Shirt too!

I have been at the entire South Island Cup, Nationals, Karapoti, Blue Dog Events, Moa, Grape Ride and don't think anybody has better prizes dollar value verses entry fee and entrant numbers.

This year we will be handing out prize money, I just hope your up amongst it with minigiant :)
pbikes
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby D2 on Thu 30/Apr/09 1:19pm

Thats a good challenge!! Counting on you minigiant but you must need a rest sometime soon!
Sorry can't be there to help - working.
All the best for a good competitive event pbikes.
D2
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 30/Apr/09 1:27pm

Cant knock $40 for an entry to a real MTB race when you pay $100 to ride on a gravel rd,
Personally i would rather save $60 on an entry than take the lottery that i MIGHT win something of value! i dont enter races based on what i might win for a spot prize.
Should be a bit damp under tyre this W/E so that will stuff the roadies :lol:
RHR_Rob

Postby LoganH on Thu 30/Apr/09 7:48pm

Cha, Cha YAHOOOOO!!!

Get your race face on boys and girls :crazy: its time to get F-in rooted!

I hope our work on the track (the XTC rock garden) wasn't taken out by all the rain.

seeya pinners there. that means ALL OF YOU!
LoganH

Postby XCguy on Thu 30/Apr/09 9:27pm

Gone done entered this evening I did. Time to get the mighty Ventana muddy! Yahoo :thumbsup:
XCguy
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby JUANGEAR on Fri 1/May/09 11:45am

pbikes wrote:

Find me an event anywhere in NZ that is only $40 odd dollars to enter, heaps of spotties, no bike check, no PC crap, and has chocolate fish! Last years event had a free T-Shirt too!

I have been at the entire South Island Cup, Nationals, Karapoti, Blue Dog Events, Moa, Grape Ride and don't think anybody has better prizes dollar value verses entry fee and entrant numbers.

This year we will be handing out prize money, I just hope your up amongst it with minigiant :)

Choice. good work PUSHBIKES. Prize Money + Challenging course = Excellent Event :thumbsup:

The Sherwood Enduro is an Excellent Event with low entry fees, a great meal afterwards, prize money and a table full of spot prizes.
JUANGEAR

Postby RHR_Rob on Fri 1/May/09 1:17pm

JUANGEAR wrote:
pbikes wrote:

Choice. good work PUSHBIKES. Prize Money + Challenging course = Excellent Event :thumbsup:

The Sherwood Enduro is an Excellent Event with low entry fees, a great meal afterwards, prize money and a table full of spot prizes.

Seem to remember the sherwood enduro as been a 30k? gravel rd race to the 'Hill' which in my case was a grunt cos the Rd race had done me. down the other side of the hill was good though :) if i did it again i think i would do the shorter course that headed straight for the hill.
Good prizes though.
RHR_Rob

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Events | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | North Canterbury | Regions - Latest Posts