National Cycleway - Christchurch To Dunedin Touring Route

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Tue 28/Apr/09 11:38am

Last week John Blunden from Sefton Homestay Bed & Breakfast got in touch with an interesting story about the work his friends Peter and Linda did on mapping out a cycle touring route between Christchurch and Dunedin. This is the story:

John Blunden wrote:THE GREAT SOUTHERN CYCLE ROUTE

Christchurch to Dunedin via quiet country roads
Inspired and created by Peter and Linda Seed from the USA

Peter and Linda came to New Zealand a number of years ago to settle in Dunedin for a couple of months each year. They sought out opportunities for a cycling holiday and were told to take the "tourist route" from Christchurch to Queenstown. They checked it out and hated it: some mountainous climbs, vicious winds and, most important of all, having to fight for their space on the road with camper vans, tour buses, logging trucks and other crazy drivers. Used to riding on quiet country roads in the US and Europe they thought that sort of riding had to be available in New Zealand they just had to find it.

After spending a number of summers in New Zealand driving and cycling the back roads of Canterbury and Coastal Otago "The Great Southern Cycle Route" was born. The result is a series of 11 booklets each with a days ride averaging approx 50km, detailed map, written directions, points of interest along the way, accommodation options etc, absolutely everything that you would need.

We were fortunate to have Peter and Linda as guests at Sefton Homestay Bed and Breakfast during this time and as fellow cyclists Trish and I took an interest in their project and are pleased to be able to help Peter and Linda make their dream a reality

Peter and Linda were ahead of their time. They have already created a stage of the proposed National Cycleway. All that needs to be done is some good signage and publicity and John Key can stamp this section "done"

Be our guest and download the below pdf's, each one being a day in the Great Southern Cycle Route. If you require a better quality we have the sets of booklets for sale at a modest price.

Most of all we would like hear your comments about Peter and Linda's Great Southern Cycle Route so drop me an email on john@seftonhomestay.co.nz

I think you'll all agree that Peter had done an excellent job with his route guide. After discussion John and Peter decided that it would be best to get this valuable resource out to as many people as possible.

Thanks again to John from Sefton Homestay Bed & Breakfast: http://www.seftonhomestay.co.nz/

MAP 01 Chch to Methven 2009 A3.pdf
Christchurch to Methven
Downloaded 659 times
MAP 02 Methven to Geraldine 2009 A3.pdf
Methven to Geraldine
Downloaded 415 times
MAP 03 Geraldine to Timaru 2009 A3.pdf
Geraldine to Timaru
Downloaded 355 times
MAP 04 Timaru to St Andrews 2009 A3.pdf
Timaru to St Andrews
Downloaded 324 times
MAP 05 St Andrews to Waimate 2009 A3.pdf
St Andrews to Waimate
Downloaded 286 times
MAP 06 Waimate to Kurow 2009 A3.pdf
Waimate to Kurow
Downloaded 262 times
MAP 07 Kurow to Oamaru 2009 A3.pdf
Kurow to Oamaru
Downloaded 282 times
MAP 09 Oamaru to Moeraki 2009 A3.pdf
Oamaru to Moeraki
Downloaded 320 times
MAP 10 Moeraki to Waikouaiti 2009 A3.pdf
Moeraki to Waikouaiti
Downloaded 308 times
MAP 11 Waikouaiti to Dunedin 2009 A3.pdf
Waikouaiti to Dunedin
Downloaded 420 times
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: National Cycleway - Christchurch To Dunedin Touring Route

Postby Tinkerbell on Tue 28/Apr/09 11:48am

That is fantastic!! :thumbsup:
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby chchbob on Tue 28/Apr/09 12:51pm

Hey great stuff, I rode from Oamaru through to the base of Kilmog hill last Friday on SH1 although I didn't find it too bad, this would have been a much more senic route with it following the coast a bit more. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
chchbob

Postby philstar on Tue 28/Apr/09 1:51pm

that is pretty cool, thought 50km's a day is not that much, 100 is what I would work with :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Tue 28/Apr/09 1:55pm

As Venture Southland have already been working on a Bluff to Lake Wakatipu cycling route it's easy to imagine linking Queenstown and Dunedin via the Central Otago Rail Trail and bingo - Bluff to Christchurch - a decent chunk of the National Cycleway sorted.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby chchbob on Tue 28/Apr/09 2:04pm

philstar wrote:that is pretty cool, thought 50km's a day is not that much, 100 is what I would work with :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah true, i found the 80km I did was not really enough for me, but we were late getting away from Chch in the morning, so it was just a bit of afternoon riding while the wife stopped and chatted with a friend ..
chchbob

Postby johnb on Tue 28/Apr/09 8:43pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It is great to see people downloading the maps as well and a big thanks to Tama for putting it in his "news" column.

John Blunden
johnb
"Cannondale Synapse 2009, the real deal"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby tylersdad on Tue 28/Apr/09 9:00pm

Tama wrote:As Venture Southland have already been working on a Bluff to Lake Wakatipu cycling route it's easy to imagine linking Queenstown and Dunedin via the Central Otago Rail Trail and bingo - Bluff to Christchurch - a decent chunk of the National Cycleway sorted.

but but but..... you can't take the roadie on the OTR.

but i have a solution..........a cunning plan my dear baldrick......so cunning you could........

have a place rent knobblies to all those cruising on 26"wheels, and slip the slicks back on when you hand the knobblies back at the other end; and
someone either invent a knobblie tyre for roadies,(this might not work/damage the rims), so someone invent a wheel/knobblie that will fit a roadie, and when you get to the other end you slip the road tires/wheels back on.
i am sure it won't be too hard to cart the wheels with your other luggage.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby ThingOne on Tue 28/Apr/09 9:17pm

tylersdad wrote:
Tama wrote:As Venture Southland have already been working on a Bluff to Lake Wakatipu cycling route it's easy to imagine linking Queenstown and Dunedin via the Central Otago Rail Trail and bingo - Bluff to Christchurch - a decent chunk of the National Cycleway sorted.

but but but..... you can't take the roadie on the OTR.

but i have a solution..........a cunning plan my dear baldrick......so cunning you could........

have a place rent knobblies to all those cruising on 26"wheels, and slip the slicks back on when you hand the knobblies back at the other end; and
someone either invent a knobblie tyre for roadies,(this might not work/damage the rims), so someone invent a wheel/knobblie that will fit a roadie, and when you get to the other end you slip the road tires/wheels back on.
i am sure it won't be too hard to cart the wheels with your other luggage.

Pshylocross FTW.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby tylersdad on Wed 29/Apr/09 5:20pm

Or if my plans too hard, what Angry said........

the question is: what do most cycle tourists ride - a 26" mtb, or a roadie with skinny 700*23 ?
and then, who is more likely to ride - locals or tourists?
and then hence, the route surface should be the one to accomodate the most regular user.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"

Postby johnb on Wed 29/Apr/09 7:13pm

tylersdad wrote:Or if my plans too hard, what Angry said........

the question is: what do most cycle tourists ride - a 26" mtb, or a roadie with skinny 700*23 ?
and then, who is more likely to ride - locals or tourists?
and then hence, the route surface should be the one to accomodate the most regular user.

Relating Peter Seeds experience in both US and Europe it is not so much the bike they ride but the surface they ride on and in both cases it is sealed. If they use a 26" it will probably have slicks. What I have seen is pretty much the same, a hybrid bike seems to be very popular. Therefore the "spine" of the National Cycleway should be on sealed roads
I can see one day the Rail Trail could be sealed as it would open it up to more riders. At the moment if you had a roady you have to take the sealed road that cris crosses the trail. Same scenery, same pubs etc.

The National Cycleway should pass through the major population centres to encourage locals and provide infrastructure for tourists ie lots of coffee stops. Until it happens we will never know, we just have to make it happen.

John
johnb

Postby noel_whiteside on Wed 29/Apr/09 8:30pm

We did the first couple of Maps over summer then came back via Ashburton. Had a great time. I had to take the mountain bike with slicks on as my roadie doesn't have any eyelets for my panier rack. The wife took her rode bike so I ended up carrying all our gear for both of us. With the xtra weight I was glad I was on the mountain bike. Having a triple chainring was a good thing climbing out of Rakia Gorge. If I could afford another bike I think I'd go for a cyclocross bike with compact chainrings and put the rack on it. Does anyone use a tailer? Are they any good for touring?
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby johnb on Wed 29/Apr/09 8:49pm

noel_whiteside wrote:We did the first couple of Maps over summer then came back via Ashburton. Had a great time. I had to take the mountain bike with slicks on as my roadie doesn't have any eyelets for my panier rack. The wife took her rode bike so I ended up carrying all our gear for both of us. With the xtra weight I was glad I was on the mountain bike. Having a triple chainring was a good thing climbing out of Rakia Gorge. If I could afford another bike I think I'd go for a cyclocross bike with compact chainrings and put the rack on it. Does anyone use a tailer? Are they any good for touring?

You will have to come down and do the Timaru maps next summer Noel

John
johnb

Postby Hilary on Thu 30/Apr/09 12:33pm

Great looking maps and info - I'm already formulating a plan for next summer :)
I ride my mtb, 26 inch wheels, but with semi-slicks (Geax Evolution). They are bullet proof, low rolling resistance on seal, and fine for gravel. Proper road bikes are awful for touring - no where to put all the gear for one thing! Most NZ cycle tourists I've met ride mtbikes, and most cycle tourists I've met from overseas ride proper touring bikes (either road style or hybrid style), and mainly want to ride on seal but aren't adverse to a bit of gravel. The proper touring bikes have more gears and gruntier tyres than road bikes - bit like a cyclocross bike I guess. So I reckon that having the cycleway mainly on sealed roads, but with a few gravel options (like the rail trail), where there is a sealed option not far away - is a good combination.
Hilary
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby tylersdad on Thu 30/Apr/09 1:19pm

sorry, don't want to hijack the thread, but it is relevant,

can you ride the OTR on slicks? just thinking if i came down i could ride from Dunedin and wouldn't need to change the tyres.

or, what would be the best tyres to ride the OTR and the road from Dunners airport to the start ?

and has anyone done this?
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycle Touring | Cycling | Dunedin | Lower South Island | Middle South Island | National Cycleway | New Zealand | News | Otago | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts