Quince Recipes

Postby Eion on Wed 22/Apr/09 5:20pm

So Tama has kindly donated me a quince but I've got no idea what do do with it since I've never seen one before in my life.
Picture 001.jpg
This is the Quince

Anyone out there have any quince recipes
Eion
"Serial Scrapist"
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Quince Recipes

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 22/Apr/09 5:32pm

errrrr. there is quince jelly (great with a nice sharp cheddar cheese), but I'm guessing you'd need more than one....
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 22/Apr/09 5:33pm

Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 22/Apr/09 5:51pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:http://www.sustain.canterbury.ac.nz/documents/a_few_quince_recipes.pdf

Those all call for more than one quince... Peel and roast that sucker with your roast veges (ala roast pears).
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Muz on Wed 22/Apr/09 7:06pm

Quince sandwhich :D ???
Muz
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Owen on Wed 22/Apr/09 7:43pm

I JUST went and grabbed a bunch of these which had fallen off a neighbors tree, bout to make a crumble.
Owen
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Eion on Thu 23/Apr/09 3:17pm

happybaboon wrote:(ala roast pears).

You can roast pears?

What's this world coming to!
Eion
"Serial Scrapist"
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby scatter on Thu 23/Apr/09 3:28pm

Owen wrote:I JUST went and grabbed a bunch of these which had fallen off a neighbors tree, bout to make a crumble.

Quince and apple crumble FTW
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby lubie on Thu 23/Apr/09 9:09pm

yeah, stewed quince and pear is real good with a few cloves and a bit of cinnamon stick. But quince takes longer to cook, so make sure you put that in first.
lubie

Postby Vege on Wed 29/Apr/09 9:26am

THE DA QUINCEI CODE

THE QUINCE…… HARMLESS FRUIT OR INSTRUMENT OF SATAN ?
YOU BE THE JUDGE

THE QUINCE IN HISTORY

• Garden Of Eden: It can now be revealed that in fact, the forbidden fruit that tempted Adam, wasn’t an apple…. It was a quince.

• Eruption of Mt Vesuvius 76 AD: Was it mere coincidence that Mount Vesuvius erupted , destroyed Pompeii and killed thousands only 2 days after the Annual Festival of the Quince was celebrated in Rome ?

• The Black Death 1347 AD. The great plague swept over Europe and killed one third of the population. The primary culprits were thought to be oriental rat fleas carried on the backs of black rats. We know better know don’t we? You guessed it… the quince. A batch of rotten quince jam was thrown out of the kitchen window at the Heidleburg Castle and into the Rhine. Only a short trip from there into the local water supply and Europe is being woken up to “ Bring out your dead” at 6.00 am in the fucking morning.

• Battle of Trafalgar. Death of Lord Horatio Nelson. 21 Oct. 1805. It’s been widely thought that as Lord Nelson was lying dying on the deck of the HMS Victory, supposedly struck down by a French bullet; that he whispered to his loyal second in command Hardy.

“ Kiss me Hardy”. Fairly unlikely..because whatever our old mate Horatio was, he was no nancy boy. No… indeed. What he actually said was “ It was that fucking quince we had for brekkie dudes. It’s really given me the collywobbles” Then he snuffed it.

• World War 1. 1914-18. The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife in Sarajevo on 28 June 1914 precipitated The Great War. What is little known is that the Archduke and his entourage had dined the previous evening at the Serbian Royal Palace. Guess what was on the menu ? Yep…your right….. Gerp Fowl livers with a rich quince sauce. Say no more !!

• Bombing of Hiroshima. August 6. 1945. The dropping of the worlds first atomic bomb by the US Air Forces, B29, Enola Gay and her crew, killed 140,000 civilians and lead to the surrender of Japan shortly thereafter. In a little known coincidence, only a day before, the Emperor of Japan had gone on national radio and exhorted the civilian population, in the face of growing food shortages “ Ko naji majakimas o sekkai bun quince e rice doko ne taji o karamas “ widely translated as “ go into your gardens and plant quince and rice to help us ward off the foreign devils” That really fucking worked, didn’t it, as, first Hiroshima and then Nagasaki sucked the big kumara?

• Assasination of John F Kennedy. Nov 22. 1963. The assassination of Americas most popular post war president in Dallas by Lee Harvey Oswald, heralded in the quagmire that became Vietnam, the birth of a counter culture in the USA and the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.
With him in the presidential vehicle on that fateful day as the drove past the Texas Book Depository Building in Dealey Plaza was his wife Jackie Kennedy. In her testimony to the FBI, Jackie Kennedy told investigators, that her and her husband were discussing the beautiful fruit laden quince tree that had been planted on the now famous grassy knoll. On inspecting the scene after the shooting, no quince tree was found………….. is that fucking spooky or what?

• Fall of Saigon. April 30.1975. The end of the Vietnam War and Americas first post war military defeat as North Vietnamese army troops surged into South Vietnams capital. As later explained in the diary of North Vietnamese Army Intelligence colonel Van Tro Nuc “ The Americans left in such a hurry from the roof via helicopter, that the office of the US Ambassador in the Embassy building still had a bowl full of fine fresh ( you guessed it) quince sitting in the reception area.

• Space Shuttle Columbia. Feb 1.2003. The space shuttle exploded and disintegrated over Texas during re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, with the loss of all seven crew members, shortly before it was scheduled to conclude its 28th mission. A NASA search of the area where most of the debris fell revealed a 2kg bag of fresh quince among the wreckage of the crew cabin. Coincidence….. ? I fucking doubt it my friends.

From death of Cleopatra, the Fall of the Roman Empire to the Great Fire of London, Jack the Ripper, the death of Diana Prince of Wales, the quince connection is a common thread, linking all these pivotal events.

THE QUINCE. TASTY ADDITION TO A CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST OR
SATANIC HARBINGER OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION ?

YOU TELL US
Vege
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby scatter on Wed 29/Apr/09 9:41am

WTF :ib: :blink:

:lol:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"

Postby Owen on Wed 29/Apr/09 10:51am

Vege wrote:

THE QUINCE. TASTY ADDITION TO A CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST OR
SATANIC HARBINGER OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION ?

YOU TELL US

:alien:
Owen
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Gardening | Sifting - Latest Posts