Gareth Varley Bike Park In Porirua

Postby cruiser on Mon 20/Apr/09 9:55pm

There's a bike park in Porirua called the Gareth Varley park. It's on Warspite Ave.

It's overgrown single track and a few jumps etc at the moment but there's huge potential for pump tracks and skills area.

I've rang the council, Linz and DTZ but no luck so far.

Anyone got any info that can get me onto the land owners?
I'd be keen to start with digging a Pump Track there...
Last edited by cruiser on Tue 21/Apr/09 6:05am, edited 1 time in total.
cruiser
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Who Owns The Tom Ehlen Bike Park In Porirua

Postby DaveAldred on Mon 20/Apr/09 10:07pm

Hi

I live close by. I think you mean this place with the orange bike...

http://www.pcc.govt.nz/pages/Home/Leisure/Outdoor-Recreation/Cycleways

Gareth Varley Memorial Mountainbike Skills Track
This track is a free community project for youth developed in memory of Gareth Varley, a young mountain biker run over and killed while crossing the road in Canada. Gareth was representing New Zealand at the 1998 World Mountainbike Championships.

The track is 1.25 kilometres long and involves straights, hills, forest, skills and bridges. It can be accessed either off Warspite Avenue (Ascot Park), next to Waitangirua Intermediate, or from the Ascot Park Reserve carpark on Conclusion Street.

For more information contact John Poppleton on 025 540 722.

It is definitely old and unmaintained. I doubt anyone has ridden it for years. Obvious potential though as a facility as it already has the designation for mtb use, so all that is missing is the ideas and elbow grease.

Tom Ehlen was a multisporter. I didn't think he had bike park named after him. Unless you are right and I am talking about a different place?

Davo
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 21/Apr/09 6:02am

awesome, cheers for that Davo. I'm wrong with the name.
I'll try John and see whats up. I think it'd make an awesome site for a pump track etc.
cruiser

Postby benw on Tue 21/Apr/09 1:02pm

DaveAldred wrote:Tom Ehlen was a multisporter. I didn't think he had bike park named after him. Unless you are right and I am talking about a different place?

No but there is a (short) MTB track at Makara named after Tom Ehlen unless I am mistaken...Big Tom's Wheelie.
benw
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby way_downsouth on Tue 21/Apr/09 1:17pm

benw wrote:
DaveAldred wrote:Tom Ehlen was a multisporter. I didn't think he had bike park named after him. Unless you are right and I am talking about a different place?

No but there is a (short) MTB track at Makara named after Tom Ehlen unless I am mistaken...Big Tom's Wheelie.

Yep. (I might have been fiddling with the sign on Sunday) and a multi sport race.

But then, I am guessing this is where Varley's track comes from as well...
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Gareth Varley Bike Park In Porirua

Postby iodi on Tue 21/Apr/09 1:37pm

Coincidentially, I added the Gareth Varley Memorial track to http://tracks.org.nz last week.

The grass had been recently mown, but the skills features have fallen into a state of disrepair - which is rather unfortunate.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Tue 21/Apr/09 2:02pm

way_downsouth wrote:
benw wrote:

Yep. (I might have been fiddling with the sign on Sunday) and a multi sport race.

But then, I am guessing this is where Varley's track comes from as well...

J'Ville Cycles built Varley's Track at Makara Peak. Folk from the Victoria University Club built Big Tom's Wheelie.
sifter
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby tombomb600 on Tue 21/Apr/09 5:03pm

I ride along this track occasionally (normally on my way somewhere else) and it really could do with some repair. It would be great to get this area up and running again. If you could coordinate what needs to be done I would be willing to help out :)
tombomb600
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 21/Apr/09 8:56pm

I was thinking a cool pump track with interchanges and options to go big or small on some of the rollers etc. Towards the back in the flat area to start with. Could try and get some loads of clean fill dumped there and just get into it.

Done track digging, but never built a pump track before so a bit of learning needed

Firstly tho I need to talk to the landowners, just to make sure it's not been designated for something else and maybe they (or council) could chuck some funds at it for gear etc
cruiser

Postby Thermo on Wed 22/Apr/09 9:59am

Perhaps put a post up on http://torrcinc.ning.com

There may be some bods keen to help out since the Kiwi Cres track got neutered.
Thermo
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 23/Apr/09 5:18pm

looks like this is a go. I'm having a meeting with John Poppleton and City council in next few days or so.
Now it just needs a plan. I think it could easy fit a few pump tracks on it. Maybe do a simple one for kids and basics, and a full on ripper track!

Anyone got a digger they can bring along :D :D
cruiser

Postby jpoppleton on Mon 30/Aug/10 5:51pm

Hey Cruiser, still very keen to get the pump Track going, have done some recent track maintenance and hooked up with a group called MCG driven by Angus, if anyone is keen to help at Warspite please track me down on info@nzgreenbikes.co.nz John :p
jpoppleton
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby B4216 on Tue 19/Mar/13 7:34pm

I would bt intrested in hearing about how this progressed?
B4216
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Porirua | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts