Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby mahawauki on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:30am

I got stopped by the police this morning at 08:40 for riding through Wellington bus depot (from Thorndon Quay to Lambton Quay) and was issued a $150 infringement notice for 'Failing to comply with a no entry sign'!!

It seems the police were stopping all cyclists going in both directions and issuing fines, in the 5 minutes I was there at least 5 other cyclist got stopped.......someone is making some serious cash!

The cr*p the policeman gave me was that it is a buses only area and it is clearly signposted buses only. Apparently the council are clamping down and there is no leniency......I thought it was up to the police to use their own discretion about whether to issue a warning.....not be dictated to by the council.

It is not a very cycle friendly policy - issuing a $150 fine with no warnings for a minor offence. How to get cyclists off the roads and back into their cars!

I'm tempted to challenge in infringement notice but I'm not sure what grounds this would be on. Would it help to get as many people together as possible and mount a joint challenge?

Thoughts people.........
mahawauki
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Police Issuing Fines At Wellington Bus Depot This Morning

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:33am

So you broke the rules (that are clear) and got caught? What is the problem, you must know it's a risk you run everyday, just like those that run red lights.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby ants06 on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:35am

I saw those porkies , wondered what they were doing ( about 8:15am) challange it even just for the hell of it.

They should go stand on lampton and fine every bus driver for breaking the 30km/hr limit , it would be more help full how many people get take out there ?? :angry:

** they were on foot ---you should have just carried on riding**

I was driving and even im tempted to complain , and yes i know you broke the law BUT there are worse things that they choose not to see than what you did
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby mahawauki on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:39am

ants06 wrote:** they were on foot ---you should have just carried on riding**

I did consider it but figured I was only going to get a warning anyway!

I'm not disputing the fact that I was in the wrong, more the attitude of the council and police in dealing with it.
mahawauki
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby thelivo on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:41am

way_downsouth wrote:So you broke the rules (that are clear) and got caught? What is the problem, you must know it's a risk you run everyday, just like those that run red lights.

Bingo.

if you don't like it, dont break the rules.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby phunk on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:41am

I think you shouldnt break the law in front of a policeman, its not very smart.
phunk
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Oli on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:44am

That's pretty petty and lame of them. I'd like to see the same focus put on old people who can't drive in their own lane. :angry:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:44am

Its easy to feel pissed off if something like this happens esp when your stung $150 and they could have given you a warning first - esp after no enforcement for yonks, but I guess in the end the rule is there for a reason. Its a potentially hazardous area and they want to reserve it for buses turning and manouvering. They must've had a complaint from the council.
Next will probably be a crack down on running reds..
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby sifter on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:44am

mahawauki wrote:
ants06 wrote:** they were on foot ---you should have just carried on riding**

I did consider it but figured I was only going to get a warning anyway!

I'm not disputing the fact that I was in the wrong, more the attitude of the council and police in dealing with it.

Do you think it is unreasonable that cyclists be excluded from that area? If so, you might consider taking it up with WCC and/or Cycle Aware Wellington. I don't think anyone's going to be very sympathetic to "I should have been issued with a warning, not fined immediately". I mean, where would that stop?!
sifter
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby ants06 on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:44am

I agree , it would have been better for them to spend a morning or two stopping people and warning them ,THEN start fining people .I mean come on there trying to get people out of cars and on bikes ? If i was you i would have said "sweet as of tomorrow im driving again , that way you will have more issues".
ants06
"Google first muppet"

Postby rackerrack on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:46am

Ha ha! $150 less for bike parts. :D
rackerrack
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby way_downsouth on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:46am

ants06 wrote:yes i know you broke the law BUT there are worse things that they choose not to see than what you did

Isn't that the argument for every traffic related offence? Go out and catch the thieves/rapists/murderers?

I have my opinions, but also do not have enough knowledge to work out how the police should spend their time. Bottom line. Rule broken, do the time (or pay the fine).
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby thelivo on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:47am

ants06 wrote:I agree , it would have been better for them to spend a morning or two stopping people and warning them ,THEN start fining people .I mean come on there trying to get people out of cars and on bikes ? If i was you i would have said "sweet as of tomorrow im driving again , that way you will have more issues".

Because talking back to cops is ALWAYS a good idea. :crazy:
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby danose on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:48am

mahawauki wrote:I did consider it but figured I was only going to get a warning anyway!

and you gave them your REAL name and address? Or even more stupidly actually produced a drivers licence? :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby ants06 on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:49am

nostromo wrote:Its a potentially hazardous area and they want to reserve it for buses turning and manouvering. They must've had a complaint from the council.

Any thing were there is one of there toss pot bus drivers is a hazzard! speeding , cutting lanes , no indicators . Ive complain about them heaps to the council and got no action !
ants06
"Google first muppet"

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts