New Clip-in Pedals

Postby radiusq on Sun 12/Apr/09 9:41pm

I've just discovered singlespeeding. Love it.

I've been riding flats for the last 2years on the trail bike, but for singlespeeding around Bottle Lake clips are the way forward - no question. So I found my old eggbeaters and shoes. Two rides around Bottle Lake and the pedals are destroyed. One side snapped. Those pedals had all of 6months riding! Style over content - crank brothers. Great packaging but shit product. I'll never buy Crank Bros again, every set I've had in the past has fallen apart.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new set of clips for singlespeeding only. I've only ever ridden crank bros - about 4 sets over 6years. I like a little bit of float. The crank brothers perhaps have a bit too much.

Recommendations pls? The time design looks good.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Re: New Clip-in Pedals

Postby Oli on Sun 12/Apr/09 9:57pm

Shimano. Preferably XT if you can afford them. They are utterly bombproof and virtually maintenance free. The only option.
Oli
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby musket on Sun 12/Apr/09 9:59pm

Word. Far and away the only option, unless you want xtr.
musket
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:15pm

if you want float, times are pretty good. haven't used a shimano spd in a long time but i remember them being very positive and easy to clip into.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:18pm

Bombproof, I say. More correctly, rock-proof. Shimano ftw.
Oli

Postby radiusq on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:18pm

What is the float like on the Shimanos - is there any?
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby Oli on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:30pm

Yes there is, but it's totally different to CBs.
Oli

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:33pm

you may as well get pd m540's only difference is they're 2 grams heavier and about $40 lighter
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Oli on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:37pm

A good choice also, although I think the XT bearing surfaces are better.
Oli

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:41pm

Hmmmmmm i miss the feeling of being clipped in good and proper, cb's are pretty vague. Went road spd's and loved the positive feel, maybe i should go back to spuds on teh sanction?
shmoodiver

Postby radiusq on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:42pm

Oli wrote:Yes there is, but it's totally different to CBs.

How do you mean? How much rotation is there before you activate the release mechanism, and is it 'free float' devoid of tension?

I'm a bit worried about my knees, but I guess I get zero float wearing flats anyway...
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:48pm

Isn't there two different cleats for shimano? One single release and a dual release?
shmoodiver

Postby Oli on Sun 12/Apr/09 10:50pm

Seriously, from the point of view of an experienced bike fitter, float is a misunderstood and often overrated feature. Sometimes float is BAD for dodgy knees.

But I think it's around 6 degrees of float? People do occasionally inadvertently release, but it's a much more positive feel than CB.
Oli

Postby radiusq on Sun 12/Apr/09 11:00pm

hubcycles (vorb sponsor I believe) do the XT at $150. Seems pretty reasonable. The MTBR reviews are solid too. Anyone have any experience with the Time system for comparison?
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby disoriented on Sun 12/Apr/09 11:08pm

Float in pedals is Horrible but you do need some float MTBing or you will be constantly cliping out, Shimano has got it right in my mind.
disoriented
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Cycling | Singlespeed - Latest Posts