Jobie Dajka Found Dead In His Home

Postby istepinyards on Wed 8/Apr/09 12:31pm

Australian cyclist Jobie Dajka has been found dead at his Adelaide home, it has been reported.

The body of Dajka, a world and Commonwealth Games champion, was discovered late Tuesday, the Nine Network reported.

A cause of death has not been released, Nine said.

Dajka, 27, was dumped from Australia's team for the 2004 Athens Olympics just weeks before the Games for lying to a doping inquiry.

In 2005, he was given a three-month suspended jail term for assaulting Australia's head track coach, Martin Barras - an offence that also led to a three-year ban from professional cycling.

Following the suspension, which was lifted in late 2006, Dajka admitted having alcohol related problems and to have suffered depression.

Dajka won a Commonwealth Games gold medal at the Manchester Games in 2002 in the teams sprint, and was the 2003 world championships kierin winner.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Jobie Dajka Found Dead In His Home

Postby Tama on Wed 8/Apr/09 12:33pm

Another one - how sad :(

Did you know him personally?
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby istepinyards on Wed 8/Apr/09 12:37pm

Yeh although not all that well :( met him 2 or 3 times over the years
Always a loose cannon but the world is a poorer place from him exiting it.

Another one that the demons of depression and mental health captured.
istepinyards

Postby musket on Wed 8/Apr/09 1:16pm

That's sad to hear - by all accounts he was an honourable, good natured guy who went through some shit times. He gave some good advice to Nick D'Arcy after he was dropped from the Olympic Swimming Team last year - sadly something he learnt too late.
musket
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby istepinyards on Wed 8/Apr/09 2:01pm

From the reports over here they are saying its from a drug overdose.
Also he had been there for several days before being found sitting up in a lounge chair.
Very sad for not only Australian Cycling but cycling in general.
istepinyards

Postby Tugboat on Wed 8/Apr/09 5:50pm

Sad news... although he was a loose cannon he had buckets of talent. Shame it couldn't be properly harnessed. The sport has still lost someone who added character though. :(
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Spokes on Wed 8/Apr/09 5:53pm

istepinyards wrote:
Another one that the demons of depression and mental health captured.

:(

Guess we all have our demons, trick is not to let them win.

Very sad.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Wed 8/Apr/09 7:54pm

Shit, that's sad. :(
Oli
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby istepinyards on Wed 8/Apr/09 8:57pm

More information has come through :(

Stunned cycling officials believed former world champion Jobie Dajka, found dead in his Adelaide house, was winning his battle with depression and was close to a comeback.

The body of Dajka, a former world and Commonwealth Games champion who had long battled alcoholism and depression, was discovered late on Tuesday.

South Australian police have not released a cause of Dajka's death but are not treating it as suspicious.

Cycling officials say the gifted yet troubled 27-year-old never got over being axed from Australia's 2004 Olympic team for lying to a doping inquiry.

"We've been pretty much aware for a number of years that Jobie went through some pretty dark times," Cycling Australia chief executive Graham Fredericks told reporters in Sydney on Wednesday.

"I guess they stemmed from the fact that he was removed from the Australian Olympic team that went to Athens in 2004.

"It's apparent now, it's obvious that he's never really recovered from that.

"Jobie fought many a battle on the bike and won many of them, but that was one battle he never really overcame."

Fredericks was shocked at the death of Dajka, who in 2006 was convicted and placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond by an Adelaide court for assaulting Australia's head track cycling coach Martin Barras.

The court also gave Dajka a suspended three-year jail sentence after he pleaded guilty to three counts of driving while disqualified and nine other charges including theft and breaching a bail agreement.

The June 2005 assault on Barras led Cycling Australia to impose a three-year ban on Dajka, which was lifted after 18 months.

"Irrespective of what he did in his final years, they were very troubled, no one ever wants to see this happen to any individual," Fredericks said.

"The cycling community are pretty shocked, and very saddened - no one wants to see a young man end his life this way.

"Everyone had hoped that he was back on his feet as an individual."

Dajka was "fairly buoyant" and appeared on the verge of a comeback late last year, Fredericks said.

"I was saying `gee, I think this guy might be on the way back'," he said.

"He was talking in terms of coming back to the sport and asking what hoops he had to jump through."

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates defended the treatment of Dajka, saying there were adequate psychological services available through the nation's sporting bodies.

"There is a network through the AIS, and all the Australian institutes of sports, that look after athletes on our Olympic team or on scholarship, who have disappointments," Coates told reporters in Melbourne on Wednesday.

"I would be very certain that would have kicked in through the South Australian Institute of Sport, the AIS and cycling in respect to Jobie.

"It is a very, very sad occurrence obviously ... I don't think you can ever take unknown consequences such as that into account when you are determining how to deal with a situation."

Fredericks said Dajka, the 2002 world Kieren champion and 2002 Commonwealth Games teams sprint gold medallist, was provided psychological care and counselling following his omission from the Athens Olympics
istepinyards

Australia | Cycling | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | South Australia - Latest Posts