Levi Sherwood Wins X-fighters!!

Postby rip_banshee on Mon 6/Apr/09 1:27pm

Epic....... LEVI SHERWOOD WINS X-FIGHTERS!!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport ... e-MX-world\

Source: stuff.co.nz

Palmerston North teenager Levi Sherwood has shocked the freestyle motocross (FMX) world in winning the opening round of the Red Bull X-Fighters in Mexico.

Sherwood, 17, was competing in his first professional event and clinically beat the best riders in the world in front of 42,000 screaming fans.

Sherwood, who only found a week ago he was in the field, made FMX history, as the youngest rider to win a Red Bull X-Fighters event

Website freeridermx.com.au said Sherwood, riding a KX450F – the only four-stroke that has ever been seen in at the huge competition – qualified fourth for and had arguably the hardest run to the finals.

In the quarterfinals he beat Norwegian legend Andre Villa, then shocked the world when he closed out 2008 defending champion Mat Rebeaud in the semifinals.

"Levi then met Japan's Eigo Sato in the finals, but Sato was simply no match for the smooth skills, incredible flexibility and crazy extension that Levi has rapidly become known for," the website said.

In an interview on the website, Sherwood, who has earned the nicknames "Rubber Kid" and "Killer Kiwi" for his ridiculous extensions, said the victory was "pretty sweet".

"It's only just starting to sink in that I won one of the biggest FMX comps in the world.

"I definitely didn't expect to win. I honestly thought that when I went up against Mat Rebeaud in the semis, that that would be the end of my night.

"I definitely didn't expect to beat him and I just went out there and treated it like a final. When the results came in from the judges I was like, 'whoa!'"

Sherwood described his first international competition against the best riders in the world before 42,000 people as "crazy".

"In Mexico the bikes run weird because of the high altitude. My bike was running like rubbish, and the ramps were really small, so I just put all my expectations behind me and just decided to go out and have fun.

"I didn't really feel like I had any pressure because I didn't have anything to lose. The crowds were pretty nuts though - you couldn't see them when you were riding because of the light show, but when I looked up when I finished my run and saw everyone screaming and waving those white bandannas it shocked me."

Sherwood is in the US for two weeks before flying back to Australia on April 18.
rip_banshee
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Levi Sherwood Wins X-fighters!!

Postby Conners on Mon 6/Apr/09 5:11pm

That's awesome - thought X-fighters might have had B-Grade cast or something, but knocking out Mat Rebeaud is the semis proves it wasn't! :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Thu 30/Apr/09 10:06pm

This is on Sky Sport 1 right now...
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby White-Lightning on Thu 30/Apr/09 10:23pm

that was mint! but to be honest, the course looked shite!
White-Lightning
Member for: 11 years 5 months

pinkmaggit
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Conners on Fri 1/May/09 9:06am

White-Lightning wrote:that was mint! but to be honest, the course looked shite!

There's not a whole lot of room inside a bull fighting stadium!!!
That venue is amazing - soooo many people around such a small ring. The helicpoter flybys were awesome :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby White-Lightning on Fri 1/May/09 4:29pm

Conners wrote:
White-Lightning wrote:that was mint! but to be honest, the course looked shite!

There's not a whole lot of room inside a bull fighting stadium!!!
That venue is amazing - soooo many people around such a small ring. The helicpoter flybys were awesome :thumbsup:

True true. Yeah the crowds were going absolutely nuts!! Levi certainly had some pretty mint tricks going on as well.
White-Lightning
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby dented on Fri 1/May/09 9:41pm

I watched this last night, it was awesome.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Motorcycles | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts