Indoor Velodrome = No Road

Postby DeathOfRoad on Mon 6/Apr/09 12:50pm

Hi all

Being from Invercargill and ridden both road and track for about 20 years, I have noticed since the indoor velodrome has been built, a weakened or should I say non existant road scene In Southland.

There are many factors influencing this.
The Centre/Club running Cycling Southland are focusing all their attention to the growth of Track. The previous regional coach never even stepped foot into road coaching and our present regional coach seems to be worse. We now unoffically call him the Junior Track Coach. We can learn a lot from the Otago Regional Coach!!!
The officals of Cycling southland only want to officiate on the track.
Junior riders are only training on the track causing a very soft bunch when they do ride the road. I often hear them say "oooh it's too windy to ride outside today, I will ride an hour on the track"

If it wasn't for the Tour of Southland, road woul'dt exist here at all. Mind you only half a dozen locals manage to ride it.

We do have a small number of elite road riders who don't ride the track. These guys are not even catered for down here. We don't even have a team in the Benchmark tour!

We will never see another powerful rider like Glenn McLeay or Doug Bath for a long time!!

If other centres are looking to building an indoor velodrome in the future, keep the roadies happy too.
Last edited by DeathOfRoad on Mon 6/Apr/09 6:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeathOfRoad
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Indoor Velodrome = No Road

Postby johnL on Mon 6/Apr/09 12:57pm

Thats the danger of a HP program that only has a track pathway also.
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 6/Apr/09 1:00pm

Here is a little tip for you.
Stop whinging on the internet and get proactive. Get off your arse and stop being another sheep following the pack :sly:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Alton on Mon 6/Apr/09 3:00pm

I hope we get an indoor velodrome here in Christchurch.
Dont think it will affect the road scene, it might even make us better riders.
I dont understand why there is so much support for cycling down there when here the council doesnt give a rats arse about us in Chch. Roads are Shit to say the least. Especially Centaurus Rd around the base of the hills where cyclists have always ridden. I reckon the council purposefully dont maintain roads where cyclist traffic is most dense.
Alton
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby johnL on Mon 6/Apr/09 3:04pm

istepinyards wrote:Here is a little tip for you.
Stop whinging on the internet and get proactive. Get off your arse and stop being another sheep following the pack :sly:

hey I run a Junior road tour!!!! and coach heaps of roadies is that enough? :angry:
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby istepinyards on Mon 6/Apr/09 3:08pm

You know full well I wasn't talking to you John :love:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby 1bikerider1 on Mon 6/Apr/09 3:21pm

im pretty sure New Zealands most successful road riders are form a track background. eg Rolly, Henderson, Dean. and a lot of the junior riders that are cleaning up on the road are trackies!

So not sure what you mean about trackies being a soft bunch on the road?
1bikerider1
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby DeathOfRoad on Mon 6/Apr/09 4:34pm

I mean young riders in Ingill are hothouse flowers ie too soft to go out on road. Riders like Rolly, Henderson, Dean and all other pro tour riders all done the hard yards on the road, and had excellent results when it came to the track because of it. The point I am making is young Southland riders are being left behind when it comes to raod cycling because they aren't taught to be tough like rolly and co and do the road miles. Of course there are exceptions ie the u17 rider Bulling, but even he isn't doing the miles like rolly and hendi did at the same age. Young riders in other centers such as Otago and Canterbury aren't obsessed with Track the same as Invercargill and the results show on the road.

As to 1stepinyards; yes I am whinging,BUt I have tried to help on the road but all local funding/help is angled to the track down here. Some others are tring too ie we had summer road racing this year because non trackies had no racing two years running but the club/center was too busy to help due to track track track
DeathOfRoad

Postby Fergie on Mon 6/Apr/09 4:51pm

Southlanders have medalled at road nats in u17s for last 4 years (King, Sculley, Tomlinson, Bulling) I have been back at club nats. Perhaps they have cottoned on to the fact that miles do not make champions. Racing fast does. I fully expect TeA Tour to be dominated by trackies this weekend in most grades. Canty juniors not obsessed with track? Did you not notice 1-2-3 in both mens and womans U19IP at track nats. There are far bigger concerns round the country like why don't we have more indoor tracks!!!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby DeathOfRoad on Mon 6/Apr/09 5:15pm

Yes we r good at producing juniors, but where r our road elite seniors. I agree hard racing is the key but we don't have any down here hence my whinging as such. Hopefully next year we have a team in the benchmark series. That is where the future of cycling is!!
DeathOfRoad

Postby Fergie on Mon 6/Apr/09 9:00pm

Most of the good roadies are overseas from any centre. That U19s won the two major events over the weekend is a good indication of this. A good thing. Having Hayden Roulston in the Benchmark series took a lot of fizz out of the racing as he would win at will 90% of the time. Speaking to some of the Southland riders it sounds like they will be doing more Benchmark events. It doesn't sound like they have turned their backs on road just realised that track offers more opportunities. Roulston, Bewley and Sergent all have Pro contracts on the back of their track success in Beijing!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby DeathOfRoad on Tue 7/Apr/09 7:45am

Fergie, you have made another good point reinforcing my point that Southland juniors are lagging behind other centers on the road. Juniors like Vink are going some hard racing, where as Southland juniors are where...? Riding around and around and around the sterile environment in the indoor velodrome doing minimal road km's. Maybe the Southland juniors will turn out to be top national elite road riders, but they will need to move away from Southland quick. Maybe do track training on Denton Park, or road race on Saturdays in Otago.
DeathOfRoad

Postby Fergie on Tue 7/Apr/09 8:07am

Southland juniors have been racing in Canterbury. TeA Tour and CRI Tour are the big selection events. I would be amazed if there are no Southland riders in the mix. Canterbury riders are at a disadvantage because they hardly race on sufficiently hilly courses.

Most riders gravitate to either Christchurch or Auckland to take advantage of racing in bigger groups and better training opportunities. The track in ILT is a bonus for Southland and riders with track goals are moving there. The depth of talent in Southland U17s at Track Nats was quite evident.
Fergie

Postby ManukauV on Thu 9/Apr/09 9:21pm

1, I know for sure that the Akl trackies are doing big miles on the road in all weathers-its Akl we get all weathers in 1/2 hour. They are instructed to get road miles into there legs by there coaches, this makes for better stamina-even the Sprinters.
2, U note the success of the Southland riders in age group but where are there Sprinters? Akl U19 Men 1-5 from nationals,+ Team Sprint and 1 made open Mens Kerien Final. U19 Women New 200 record and 2cnd Sprints-16 yrs old I believe..? Is this a coaching issue?
ManukauV

Postby Fergie on Thu 9/Apr/09 9:42pm

I think so. Justin is clearly doing some great things in Auckland.
Fergie

Cycling | Invercargill | Lower South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Southland | Track Cycling - Latest Posts