Paris Roubaix

Postby rochie on Fri 3/Apr/09 12:09pm

Does anybody have any tips for seeing the start of the paris Roubaix. I'm in Paris on the 12th and thought I'd catch a train out to Compiengne. See who's starting, buy a t shirt etc. Don't think I'll follow the whole race tho. Looks almost as hard as the BM4(!).
rochie
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby bigmig on Fri 3/Apr/09 2:07pm

You're making us all jealous!!!
bigmig
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby businesstime on Fri 3/Apr/09 2:10pm

rochie wrote:Does anybody have any tips for seeing the start of the paris Roubaix. I'm in Paris on the 12th and thought I'd catch a train out to Compiengne. See who's starting, buy a t shirt etc. Don't think I'll follow the whole race tho. Looks almost as hard as the BM4(!).


Go that bit further and get into the velodrome for the finish ! Mate of mine did it a few years ago and said it was just awesome.

Hushovd for the win !
businesstime
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby TT Man on Fri 3/Apr/09 3:11pm

businesstime wrote:
rochie wrote:Does anybody have any tips for seeing the start of the paris Roubaix. I'm in Paris on the 12th and thought I'd catch a train out to Compiengne. See who's starting, buy a t shirt etc. Don't think I'll follow the whole race tho. Looks almost as hard as the BM4(!).


Go that bit further and get into the velodrome for the finish ! Mate of mine did it a few years ago and said it was just awesome.

Hushovd for the win !


Brilliant opportunity, but I agree with Businesstime that the finish would be best to watch, second bet would be to find a section of cobbles and watch them suffer - surely it would make BM4 seem like kids play!
TT Man
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby musket on Fri 3/Apr/09 4:07pm

Definitely a better experience at the finish or on one of the pavé sectors.

Start is always packed solid with thousands of people and the best thing you'll likely see will be sign on and a glimpse of the sedate / neutralised roll out. Hit a couple of sectors (maybe an early one) then go to the finish.

Worked well when I did Liege Bastogne Liege and the Giro a few years back.
musket
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby Oli on Fri 3/Apr/09 7:18pm

What's the point if you don't see them on the pavé? It could be any old race... :eh:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby taylormade on Fri 3/Apr/09 7:27pm

Have a look on the Cervelo Test Team site, they have a bit on there regarding tours to races such as this and they offer the chance to be a spare wheel service person in the Forset of Arenberg!!!!! You could hold the spare wheel for Roly!!!!!
taylormade
User avatar
"60% of the time it works everytime"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 3/Apr/09 7:30pm

o o o whats the forest they ride through? see them there, that sector is uber punishing and FAST!
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby Oli on Fri 3/Apr/09 7:42pm

ARENBERG
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 3/Apr/09 8:01pm

thats the one!
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 3/Apr/09 8:06pm

Ooooh - I get Sky installed this Tuesday. :) I bet it isn't on sky though right? :(
Al_Bushman
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby Oli on Fri 3/Apr/09 8:16pm

It was last year! :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby johnL on Fri 3/Apr/09 8:29pm

cant wait till the U23 P-R..... but I will

BTW the NZ boys are doing U23 Flanders in 2 weeks
johnL
User avatar
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby Oli on Fri 3/Apr/09 8:30pm

w00t!
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: Paris Roubaix

Postby taylormade on Fri 3/Apr/09 8:46pm

johnL wrote:cant wait till the U23 P-R..... but I will

BTW the NZ boys are doing U23 Flanders in 2 weeks


Yeah haa Mark Langlands (Ultimo Cycling Team) is in that there team.!!!! Woot Ultimo!!!!!! :)
taylormade
User avatar
"60% of the time it works everytime"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Cycling | Europe | France | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts

Who is online

52 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop