2 Mountain Biking Opportunities In Abel Tasman Park

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Wed 1/Apr/09 12:43pm

We've just had a heads-up from the Nelson/Marlborough Conservancy Office of the Department of Conservation about information on two opportunities for mountain biking in Abel Tasman National Park.

There are two places where you can mountain bike in Abel Tasman National Park. The first is on a section of the Moa Park Track, from the Rameka Track turnoff to the Wainui Track turnoff (see attached map). This track is accessed from the Canaan Downs carpark and can be used year-round, it links with a mountain bike track that is being developed in the adjacent Canaan Downs Scenic Reserve, providing a round-trip. This track is mostly complete though further work is being carried out to improve it. Please note that the Rameka Track can also be used by mountain bikers as it is on unformed legal road, outside of the park.

The second place where you can mountain bike is on the Gibbs Hill Track. However, this is currently being run as a trial for two years (2009 -2010) and is only available to mountain bikers between 1 May and 1 October. The track is accessed from Totaranui, climbs up to Gibbs Hill and then down to Wainui Bay (see attached map). You will need to limit group sizes to 8 people and adhere to the mountain bikers care code.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... ctivities/
mountainbike-map.pdf
Mountain Biking in Abel Tasman National Park Map
Downloaded 179 times
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: 2 Mountain Biking Opportunities In Abel Tasman Park

Postby Trail on Wed 1/Apr/09 12:52pm

Maybe they saw my rantings in that Manawatu post and felt compelled to reply :paranoid:

I am very pleased that mountain bike access in National Parks in NZ is being trialed!! :thumbsup:

I hope to see more purpose built mountain bike single track built in National Parks, like what they have done at Whirinaki! http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... ike-track/
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby gordster on Wed 1/Apr/09 12:53pm

the moa park track. it is a pretty short section of 4WD track. Nice of DOC to spare MTB folks a thought.....
gordster
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby gordster on Wed 1/Apr/09 12:56pm

Trail wrote:Maybe they saw my rantings in that Manawatu post and felt compelled to reply :paranoid: /

I guess DOC feel it is really important to reply to your comment zane. I suppose DOC has a whole department of folk tasked with checking user websites like this one checking user feedback......
gordster
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Wed 1/Apr/09 12:59pm

gordster wrote:
Trail wrote:Maybe they saw my rantings in that Manawatu post and felt compelled to reply :paranoid: /

I guess DOC feel it is really important to reply to your comment zane. I suppose DOC has a whole department of folk tasked with checking user websites like this one checking user feedback......

Oh, I am sure they do :p
Trail

Postby richardg on Wed 1/Apr/09 3:25pm

I don't like the way DOC seem to have jumped onto this winter only date thing, that seems to be the current nonsence. Have they just chosen winter for trials hoping that people will appear in otherwise completely empty areas to ride when the tracks are wet and maybe then bikes might leave noticable marks, and therefore can fail the trial? Its all a conspiracy! There are actually 6 million people in NZ, only 2 million live secret lives, in an underground bunker in Wainuiamata, watching what Trail posts.

Aside from conspiracies I do find all these cop out trial areas of road riding (eg Poulter, Moa park) to be rather dissapointing steps, especially when these areas are surrounded by mint riding, in places where almost noone goes. But they are some sought of step I guess.

One of the problems are perceptions of MTB tracks. We had a big talk with a (forest park) ranger a few years ago who said that to allow MTB's requires tracks to be lame, to full wheelchair level. There has to be a better balance, ie this is a death march, but go ahead you might enjoy it (or you may claim it to be MTB at its worst). Damn this post is incomprehensble...sorry.
richardg
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Wed 1/Apr/09 3:32pm

gordster wrote:

You'd be surprised at actually who does keep an eye on Vorb ;)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Wed 1/Apr/09 3:51pm

richardg wrote:. Damn this post is incomprehensble...sorry.

Bits of it kind of make sense :eh:

Yep, That is what my original rant over in the Manawatu thread was... From the mountain bike tracks DOC are providing around the country it seems like DOC think that bikers want boring 4wd tracks when what many of us actually like are the lovely single tracks through the trees... which are the same tracks that they spent much money on for walkers...
Trail

Postby phunk on Wed 1/Apr/09 4:00pm

richardg wrote:One of the problems are perceptions of MTB tracks. We had a big talk with a (forest park) ranger a few years ago who said that to allow MTB's requires tracks to be lame, to full wheelchair level. There has to be a better balance, ie this is a death march, but go ahead you might enjoy it (or you may claim it to be MTB at its worst). Damn this post is incomprehensble...sorry.

I completely agree, I think there is a large majority that believe that the only sort of mtbing is wide easy gradients with loads of gravel and no obstacles and obviously this is costly to implement and maintain for DOC, however, the type of riding that I like is the sort where a good chunk is hike-a-bike jungle missions on old walking tracks.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 1/Apr/09 4:27pm

i was in Totaranui a few weeks ago, and i cant for the life of me work out why that Gibbs Hill track couldnt be open all year round. NO BODY WALKS IT, they all walk the coast track. would be interesting tho... had my bike up there too, but was too honest to ride past the 'no bikes' sign for the 200m of High Tide detour track to the start of it. i believe its a 'legal' road, in which case its not REALLY a matter of DOC saying you're allowed to do it, its more a case of them finally informing you that you're allowed to do it. (if that makes sence... :blink: ) which also leads me to ask, if you rode it on October the 18th, would it really matter?

its silly making it winter only too, what do they want to do, get bikers to wreck the tracks completely, not that Gibbs hill could get any more wrecked. think Firebreak, eroded like mad.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Simonk on Wed 1/Apr/09 4:43pm

DOC is a big organisation with a wide range of views. There are loads of great single tracks open to bikes on DOC land from Whirinaki south (north of there it's a different story :( ).

As far as National Parks go, I think we just need to be patient. Opening up the Poulter and Gibbs Hill and Bridge to Nowhere are all moves in the right direction - they're all good rides on the right day - and bit by bit we'll prove ourselves as responsible users of tracks like the Heaphy (or places like Gibbs Hill for longer periods of the year - I was there in March and it was very, very quiet, and the track was dry and durable). By 'prove ourselves', I mean break down the stereotype of mountain bikers being rude, testosterone-loaded males with no care for the environment or other track users.

BTW, I rode the Moa Track a couple of weeks ago. It leads on to a bunch of newer single track (which is still a work in progress). While not as sweet as the Rameka, it's got real potential. DOC is spending a bit of money to keep the Canaan Downs track development ticking along, so with the help of volunteers it should be well worth a visit in a year or so.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 1/Apr/09 4:50pm

scatter wrote:You'd be surprised at actually who does keep an eye on Vorb ;)

only the CIA, SIS, FSB and NSA as far as I'm aware.

C4!!! Semtex. Kalashnikov

revolution. revolucione!!

AK47

proletariat, control means of supply.

www.cheguevuara.org
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby thorg on Wed 1/Apr/09 4:58pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
scatter wrote:You'd be surprised at actually who does keep an eye on Vorb ;)

only the CIA, SIS, FSB and NSA as far as I'm aware.

C4!!! Semtex. Kalashnikov

revolution. revolucione!!

AK47

proletariat, control means of supply.

http://www.cheguevuara.org
No-one from DOC would survive here, flaming and mocking would cause instant implosion.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby jnumbaz on Wed 1/Apr/09 5:00pm

You're gonna have CTTAG knocking on your door soon HDC. Time to head for your survivalist bunker in the hills and set your man traps.
jnumbaz
"high-powered mass-cannon throwing tessellated plasma forward in an orgy of death and destruction"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 2/Apr/09 9:55am

thorg wrote:No-one from DOC would survive here, flaming and mocking would cause instant implosion.

i think you'd be surprised...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | News | Regions | Trail Riding | Upper South Island - Latest Posts