Interesting Scientific Study On Beer Drinking

Postby Tama on Mon 30/Mar/09 2:10pm

Comparison of Weight, Cognitive Ability + Motor Skills In Moderate vs. Heavy Beer Drinkers.

Abstract?
No, the results were pretty straightforward.

Methods
We assigned one random husband to two groups of beer drinkers on random afternoons when the NCAA playoffs were on television. The first group, defined as the moderate-drinking group, consumed 1.0 bottles of Bud Light during the afternoon games. The second group, defined as the heavy-drinking group, consumed 2.0 bottles of Bud Light during the afternoon games. Both groups consumed the allotted bottles of beer well before half-time.

Both groups also consumed exactly 10 pepperoni Slim Jims during the games, and both groups participated in equal amounts of exercise, defined for the purposes of the study as 1) running to the bathroom during commercials and 2) occasionally jumping up from the couch and yelling, “What’s the matter, ref, are you BLIND?!!”

Measurements
Weight was measured by bathroom scale. Additionally, abdominal fat was recorded by employing a carpenter’s tape measure, which was extended and bent carefully around the waist.

Cognitive ability was determined by the participant’s ability to read the final scores displayed on the television screen and calculate which team’s score was higher. (In layman’s terms: who “won” the game.) Each participant’s conclusion as to the highest score was later compared to ESPN news reports to assess accuracy.

Motor skills were determined by recording each participant’s average highest score in three rounds of “Grand Theft Auto,” played on an Xbox 360 immediately following the game.

Results
Weight gain was remarkably consistent among both the moderate-drinking and heavy-drinking groups (0.5 pounds vs. 0.7 pounds respectively, P=0.05). Abdominal circumference was identical in both groups, although the participant in the heavy-drinking group suffered a minor laceration due to a belching incident that occurred as the tape measure was being cinched around his waist.

Cognitive ability was also remarkably similar. Both groups correctly identified which team scored the most points in every instance (1.0 vs. 1.0, P=0.01). The participant in the heavy-drinking group was noticeably unsatisfied with the scores, despite correctly calculating which was higher, and indicated verbally that the referee was afflicted with near-sightedness.

Motor skills were similar, but not identical. The average Grand Theft Auto score was slightly higher among the moderate-drinking group than the heavy-drinking group (523 vs. 489, P=0.11) but was not a desired outcome and therefore classified as statistically insignificant. The Grand Theft Auto score was also impacted by the heavy-drinking subject’s need to urinate more often (Pee=2.5/hour vs. Pee=3.5/hour, P=0.22) which could be considered a distraction.

Conclusions
The commonly-held belief among many researchers and most wives that heavy beer-drinking will lead to obesity, stupidity, and an increased risk of traffic accidents and DUI arrests is not supported, but may require further research in other research environments, preferably during baseball season.

Thanks to crazychris for this enlightening link: Create Your Very Own Biased Study :D
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Interesting Scientific Study On Beer Drinking

Postby j2hyde on Mon 30/Mar/09 3:53pm

How does 2 bud lights = heavy drinking? Herbal tea is stronger than that stuff.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Mon 30/Mar/09 8:51pm

HELLLOOOOOOO!? :D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby crazychris on Mon 30/Mar/09 9:30pm

:)

the doco is well worth a watch too. Was on over the weekend (doco channel on sky) but all over now. Recomended watching for anyone who was wowed by the Supersize Me movie.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby avantibill on Mon 30/Mar/09 9:59pm

Funny, I got an email today that had a video clip on how beer can make you lose weight. Here is a link for the vid on youTube. My problem is, I am NOT consuming enough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3deQmyRHw
avantibill
"Dunedin - It's highly rated!"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Mon 30/Mar/09 11:14pm

Mmmmm, sign me up! :thumbsup:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby crazychris on Tue 31/Mar/09 7:20am