What do you think will happen when North Korea launch their next Taepo Dong?

It will blow up less than a minute into the flight - like the last one
32%
It will successful launch a satellite and North Koreans will be able to enjoy quality TV
11%
Japan will try to blow it out of the sky, and fail
No votes
Japan will try to blow it out of the sky, and succeed
11%
Japan will try to blow it out of the sky, and succeed, making North Korea declare war
No votes
It will successful launch a nuclear warhead at Alaska, sparking WW3
11%
It will unsuccessful launch a nuclear warhead somewhere, making some radiated fish
37%

Total voters : 19

North Korea Gets Out Dong

Postby Tama on Thu 26/Mar/09 1:59pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD97565BG1 wrote:U.S. officials have confirmed that North Korea is loading a Taepo Dong rocket on its east coast launch pad for the expected launch of a communications satellite early next month.

U.S. counterproliferation and intelligence officials confirmed Japanese news reports of the expected launch between April 4 and 8.

North Korea announced its intention to launch the satellite in February. Regional powers worry the claim is a cover for the launch of a long-range missile capable of reaching Alaska. National Intellgience Director Dennis Blair said earlier this month that all indications suggest North Korea will actually launch a satellite.

North Korea faked a satellite launch in 1998 to cloak a missile development test. In 2006, it launched a Taepo Dong-2 that blew up less than a minute into flight.

It's precursor was called NoDong :p

Any hoo - I heard on the radio last night that Japan is threatening to shoot down the Dong and have already parked some battleships in the Sea of Japan for such an event. Cue poll for most likely outcome of this wee drama.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: North Korea Gets Out Dong

Postby Jim on Thu 26/Mar/09 2:23pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB8KkwXz-E8

Trust the Yank news to blow it all out of proportion. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Thu 26/Mar/09 2:35pm

It will unsuccessful launch a nuclear warhead somewhere, making some radiated fish............. Leading to the mutation of a GODZILLA MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 GRAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHH!!
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby XCrazy on Thu 26/Mar/09 3:34pm

Jim wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB8KkwXz-E8

Trust the Yank news to blow it all out of proportion. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Muz on Thu 26/Mar/09 5:15pm

I say the Korean Dong just wont have the staying power to reach the climax of its ascent....it'll become a giant exploding Dong in the sky...just like the last one. Either that or maybe Kim Jong-Il will declare that North Korea is the new epi-centre for Dong manufacturing if it's successful (which I doubt).
Muz
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Sun 5/Apr/09 8:23pm

The release of the Dong was a bit of a let down in my books :huh:
Tama

Postby Tama on Mon 25/May/09 3:56pm

And North Korea just tested a nuke :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/2441058/No ... clear-test wrote:North Korea has successfully conducted a nuclear test today, raising the explosive power and level of control of its nuclear device to a new level, its state media said.

"We have successfully conducted another nuclear test on May 25 as part of the republic's measures to strengthen its nuclear deterrent,'' the North's official KCNA news agency said.

The confirmation followed South Korea's Yonhap news agency quoting a ruling party official as saying that the test had been carried out.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has called an emergency meeting of cabinet ministers over the test, Yonhap said.

YTN Television quoted the South Korean weather agency as saying it detected a tremor indicating a test at 1254 NZT.

North Korea had recently said it would again test a nuclear device - its first was in October 2006 - in reaction to tightened international sanctions after it fired a long-range rocket in April.

News of the test hit South Korean financial markets, sending the main KOSPI share index down four percent in late morning trade, while the won dropped more than 1 percent against the dollar.
Tama

Postby happybaboon on Mon 25/May/09 5:02pm

Uh oh. Does a tiny little unstable neighbour testing nukes piss China off at all? I'd have thought it might..........
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Fri 19/Jun/09 10:17pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/2 ... es-boosted Bloody nutters. I hope they don't fire their shit at Hawaii... Last time a far-eastern nation attacked Hawaii the US of A wasn't exactly happy about it :huh:

I guess I used to think the North Korea missile crisis was all just fun and games. But this week this quite cool South Korean guy I know told me he's decided to return home so that he can join the military and be close to his family because "North Korea are doing some crazy shit". So maybe it's getting more seriouser. I just hope it works out OK for him :(
happybaboon

Postby rory161192 on Fri 19/Jun/09 10:47pm

please, excuse my ignorance. But what the fuck does North Korea want? really? That fat little motherfucking reptilian swine of a hoe kim-jong-twat needs a huge bullet through his thick glasses. I dont get it.
rory161192
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby musket on Fri 19/Jun/09 10:51pm

Every time they've played the escalate / appease game, Korea has walked away with significant gains: financially mainly, but in the form of aid.

As a country, it's essentially highly fucked - little trade and a populace that's not doing that good.

This is either a let's push it a long way and see what we gain (bearing in mind there's a new US Pres to test) or a we've lost control a bit, so let's go to the end game.

I'd not be surprised to see a few TOW missiles landing in Korea in the next six months, but I'm guessing it'll be sorted diplomatically. Everyone knows the military solution is not a real good one.
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 19/Jun/09 11:07pm

musket wrote:I'd not be surprised to see a few TOW missiles landing in Korea in the next six months, but I'm guessing it'll be sorted diplomatically. Everyone knows the military solution is not a real good one.

I think it will have to wait until Kim Jong pisses China and Russia off to the point that they'll look the other way (or even move on Kim Jong-Ill themselves). But letting the US piss all over North Korea would put American troops right on the Russian and Chinese border... And I'm sure the Russians and Chinese won't like that idea.

It'll never get "solved" diplomatically. War will just be eternally offset, at least until Daddy Jong has another stroke and his kid ends up in power and proves to be less totally fucking nuts.
happybaboon

Postby musket on Fri 19/Jun/09 11:13pm

China was pretty clear about it's feelings regarding the last launch... I think there's only so far they can push, and China's feeling things (economically) as much as any one right now, so won't be offering huge incentives.
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts