Question About 'tomi-cogs'

Postby Owen on Thu 19/Mar/09 10:51am

Im going to order a couple, first of all is any one else interested in getting some? Im keen to split postage if possible.

Also, can they be used with a QR hub? Im going to be running horizontal drop outs, do you think it would be safe to use them with QR or would they just rip out of the drop outs as soon as I try and lock the back wheel up or lay down some power?

Cheers :)
Owen
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Question About 'tomi-cogs'

Postby Tama on Thu 19/Mar/09 11:08am

I wouldn't trusted horizontal dropouts + fixed + Q/R - though you could use allen key Q/Rs (can't find a link sorry)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby snr_merv on Thu 19/Mar/09 11:49am

How much are they bro? Could be keen maybe for doing something weird with my peace frame!
snr_merv
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby xcmtb on Thu 19/Mar/09 12:52pm

What are they and how much?
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Owen

Postby thorg on Thu 19/Mar/09 12:56pm

xcmtb wrote:What are they and how much?
they are the ultimate in fashion biking and dont cost much
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby danose on Thu 19/Mar/09 1:04pm

Tama wrote:I wouldn't trusted horizontal dropouts + fixed + Q/R - though you could use allen key Q/Rs (can't find a link sorry)

a decent steel axled qr should be fine - good solid shimano one would be my choice
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"

Postby xcmtb on Thu 19/Mar/09 1:04pm

Coolness. so not for the ss then, as I have no disc brake mounts.

must get my coaster brake back up and running, the ss race will be a mission and a half without the rear brake.
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Mel on Thu 19/Mar/09 2:08pm

I've got one, and found it to work very well. There's a bit of discussion on them here: cheap-fix-tomicogs-t77098.html?hilit=tomicog from when I was looking for people to buy one too.

I had to add spacers betwwen the tomicog and the rotor mount to adjust the chainline to be spot on, but other than that the setup was a breeze.

I had intended to use mine only occasionally, switching between fixed and free (and on/off road), but swapping the cog out for a disc rotor when running the freewheel. It was good in theory, but not in practice. It only took me half an hour to swap everything over (rotor for the tomicog, small chainring for a big chainring, and offroad tyres for onroad tyres), but it was a bit of a hassle. The one big drawback for me was that I didn't want to loctite the bolts on the tomicog for fear of them being too hard to get undone and this resulted in the bolts coming loose - I suspect from the back pressure from braking and attempting to engage reverse gear. Maybe I should have experimented with a lower grade of loctite? Instead, I bought a fixie. Now I don't have to faff about with changing one bike to suit two purposes. Off road bike has freewheel and a disc, onroad bike has fixed/free flip-flop hub. Sorted.

I recommend the tomicog as a cheap way to go fixed, or a cheap fix as it were. And no, mine's not for sale. I still think it's worth having in the parts box, so I will keep it. :)
Mel
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby JohnnyC on Thu 19/Mar/09 2:27pm

I sure as hell wouldn't run a QR rear hub on a fixie
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby danose on Thu 19/Mar/09 2:33pm

JohnnyC wrote:I sure as hell wouldn't run a QR rear hub on a fixie

most likely to pull the wheel out under power - just the same if it's non-fixed. Back when horizontal dropouts were the norm people only pulled the wheel when they were having weak wrist days when doing the qr up, or used crappy qrs

nice old chromed steel shimano one ftw :thumbsup:
danose

Postby Mel on Thu 19/Mar/09 2:40pm

Or maybe swap out the QR axle for a bolt-up one if possible? Or, use one of those bolt-up skewers instead of a QR skewer?
Mel
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby danose on Thu 19/Mar/09 2:42pm

Mel wrote:Or maybe swap out the QR axle for a bolt-up one if possible? Or, use one of those bolt-up skewers instead of a QR skewer?

a properly designed qr (i.e. a shimano or campagnolo one - as opposed to most 'bling' ones) generates HEAPS of clamping force if used correctly.
danose

Postby JohnnyC on Thu 19/Mar/09 2:54pm

It would depend on how many Skidzz you are doing too
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Owen on Thu 19/Mar/09 7:55pm

Thanks a heap for the input, Im going to use one of those bolt up QR skewer things, they don't cost to much :)
Owen

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Fixed Gear | Road Cycling - Latest Posts