Whakarewarewa, Please Avoid 8 Mile Gate Road

Postby Spadewerx on Tue 17/Mar/09 4:59pm

There are logging operations in Sandy skid and Whare flat rd, please do not ride along 8 mile gate road.

There is increased logging truck activity, and the area should be treated as off limits.

Thanks
Spadewerx
"These posts may contain traces of shameless self promotion"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Whakarewarewa, Please Avoid 8 Mile Gate Road

Postby Mr_Bob on Tue 17/Mar/09 5:07pm

Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
I'm guessing Pondy DH and pondy new coming down from split enz are still open?
Last edited by Mr_Bob on Wed 18/Mar/09 11:22am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby tall_erik on Wed 18/Mar/09 9:55am

There's something else that I think people should know: trucks use 8 Mile Gate Road 24-hours a day, not just during daylight hours.

I had the scare of my life when I was out riding late one night and decided to nip along 8-mile gate road, thinking the road was unused, only to have a logging truck race up behind me...

Please, stay off the road. It isn't worth the risk.
tall_erik
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Spadewerx on Wed 18/Mar/09 10:28am

Hi Bob,
yep you can still ride Pondy coming down from Split enz.
It probably should be noted that on the trail maps it says:
no cycling, horse riding or pedestrians on 8 mile gate road at all times

you are allowed to cross 8 mile gate road, but extreme caution must be taken. I agree with Erik, it's not worth the risk.
Spadewerx
"These posts may contain traces of shameless self promotion"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby gaznzo on Thu 19/Mar/09 2:04pm

I have been parking at the Hill Rd gate lately (daylight getting shorter, quick access to the trails I want to ride...) and have been amazed by the speed the trucks are going as they come down 8 Mile Gate Rd into that corner where the gate is. It is dangerous to be anywhere near that road. Fair enough for the log trucks, they are on a private road, but a loaded truck going what looks like about 80 clicks downhill would be harder to stop than a rigid hardtail with cantis. So look out for them, whatever you are doing around that neck of the woods.
gaznzo
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 19/Mar/09 7:51pm

Spadewerx wrote:It probably should be noted that on the trail maps it says:
no cycling, horse riding or pedestrians on 8 mile gate road at all times

that was what I was going to say, it amazes me the number of very recreational looking fitness (road based) riders that I see heading through the gateway to ride along 8 mile gate road
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 19/Mar/09 7:52pm

Another question then;

Is this logging based around the end of yellow brick road, ie I presume that riding yellow brick road then up the gravel to pondy new is off limits at the moment??
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby NDuroEvents on Fri 20/Mar/09 8:27am

Pushbikerider - yes, correct. The logging is all through Sandy Skid Rd to Whare Flat Road so no riding between Yellow Brick to Pondy New. Looks like you will just have to get up to the top of Split Enz, come down that and then onto Pondy New. Hmmm, sounds good to me!
NDuroEvents

Postby dented on Fri 20/Mar/09 9:22am

Assume there is signs at the start of YBR then?
dented
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 20/Mar/09 9:52am

NDuroEvents wrote:Pushbikerider - yes, correct. The logging is all through Sandy Skid Rd to Whare Flat Road so no riding between Yellow Brick to Pondy New. Looks like you will just have to get up to the top of Split Enz, come down that and then onto Pondy New. Hmmm, sounds good to me!

which really means, direct road, frontal lobotomy, billy-t, which is fine by me (as I'd rather not ride the road the shuttle uses)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby NDuroEvents on Fri 20/Mar/09 12:32pm

I have been informed that there will be signs up at the start of Yellow Birck Road. Whether they are actually up is a different story but the forestry guys have been pretty strict on those things in the last 12 months.

PBR - as another option how about Fern Drive, Sandstone, Lookout Rd, No Brains (including the awesome new line down there), Mossy and Baja, Jeffs Link, Moerangi and then down Split Enz? Different style of riding but just as much fun.
NDuroEvents

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 20/Mar/09 12:52pm

NDuroEvents wrote:I have been informed that there will be signs up at the start of Yellow Birck Road. Whether they are actually up is a different story but the forestry guys have been pretty strict on those things in the last 12 months.

PBR - as another option how about Fern Drive, Sandstone, Lookout Rd, No Brains (including the awesome new line down there), Mossy and Baja, Jeffs Link, Moerangi and then down Split Enz? Different style of riding but just as much fun.

hmmmmmmmmm I forget about No-brains, after 24 though now, as this coming week is an easy week (getting the lights tuned in and the bike bedded in) before a day of madness (and I already hate princess anne road)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby tall_erik on Fri 20/Mar/09 3:44pm

NDuroEvents wrote:I have been informed that there will be signs up at the start of Yellow Birck Road. Whether they are actually up is a different story but the forestry guys have been pretty strict on those things in the last 12 months.

There's a very good sign at the start of YBR now, but nothing at the end of Pondy Downhill where Pondy New starts. Won't a lot of riders go down onto Sandy Skid road that way? I know when I'm tired that's my favourite bail out point. Any chance of a sign there too?
tall_erik

Postby tall_erik on Fri 20/Mar/09 9:24pm

NDuroEvents wrote:PBR - as another option how about Fern Drive, Sandstone, Lookout Rd, No Brains (including the awesome new line down there), Mossy and Baja, Jeffs Link, Moerangi and then down Split Enz? Different style of riding but just as much fun.

Is there any trick to finding the new route on No Brains, or does it just start in the same place a the old track? What's it like compared with the old line? That's one track I'd like to be able to ride without fear (I crashed the last time I tried it)..
tall_erik

Postby NDuroEvents on Sat 21/Mar/09 9:55am

Tall Erik

No idea if they are going to post a sign around the Pondy DH/Pondy New area. Best to ask Julianne Wilkinson at the Visitors Centre on Long Mile Drive.

No Brains: the new line starts after the first skid site. When you cross over the skid site you get into the single track and the new line heads off to the right about 600m down. It is technically harder in places than the old line, especially the log drop near the end but if you stay left you will be fine. Awesome addition to the track.
NDuroEvents

Bay of Plenty | Conditions | Middle North Island | New Zealand | News | Public Notices | Regions | Rotorua | Trail Conditions - Latest Posts