A Full Day W00ting In Hanmer

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 17/Mar/09 10:21am

8 of us heading to Hanmer early saturday AM for a day of goodness and a night of intensive rehydration before footy season starts. Can't wait but are arguing about the best way to attack the myriad of trails up the back. Neil has told me that everything is in fantastic condition up there with quite a bit of trackwork having been done so we want to get in as much habit justification as possible but can't decide the order of attack. Don't want to know where to go or how to get there, already know that, just your ideas on the optimum usage of our time. We will be up there and ready to hit the trails by 8.30, lunch on board and ready for beer and wedges by 4. How much can we fit in that 7 1/2 hrs ??? Your thoughts, photo's next week.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: A Full Day W00ting In Hanmer

Postby Trail on Tue 17/Mar/09 10:30am

Neil knows the best ways to link all the tracks together... you could ask him for a suggestion?? If you give him enough warning he may even be able to show you around...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 17/Mar/09 10:37am

i'd think in 7 1/2 hours, you'd get every trail ridden at least once, with favourites enjoyed several times. i usually clean up most of the network in about 3 whenever i get up there (which isnt often enough...)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 17/Mar/09 10:43am

Trail wrote:Neil knows the best ways to link all the tracks together... you could ask him for a suggestion?? If you give him enough warning he may even be able to show you around...

Yeah, thought that but figured we'd be a bit slow for him and he's done enough work up there as it is without goats like us bothering him (no offence if you read this Neil, but we'll try to get in for some clothing bling later in the day !) If we get a bit stuck later in the day we could give him a call.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby grahamt on Tue 17/Mar/09 11:02am

If you get a chance and are up to some steep technical riding talk to Neil and try 'addiction'. It is unmarked and requires a bit of steep climbing and pushing, but is definitely worththe effort. The first part is steep and requires lots of skill.

Also - Chattertons Track off the top of Jacks Pass is worth a look. Top part can be hard to find and it has a few technical sections also.

Both of the above are harder than the standard marked network and involve a bit of climbing to get to.

Otherwise in the main network, Bigfoot and Detox are my faves - I thought I read recently that bigfoot's days may unfortunately be numbered due to logging plans :(
grahamt
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Canterbury | Cycling | Hanmer Springs | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | North Canterbury | Regions - Latest Posts