It's Not Just Hookers Floating In The Avon

Postby crazychris on Fri 6/Mar/09 3:57pm

Bid to relax sewage rule
Environmentalists are shocked the Christchurch City Council wants the freedom to pour raw sewage into the Avon and Heathcote rivers more often.

More often? WTF!! Surely we'd be better off with LESS!

A huge irony is that apparently City Care has had its budget cut by $600,000, the exact same amount the CCC pays to an Auckland company to run the Ellerslie Flower Show each year for the next 5-6 years! I hope they aren't using the Avon to fill all the water features in there!!!!

While I know that there are the occasional 'spill' may occur into the river, as it does on many beaches in Auckland, you spend money to stop it happening, not run new regulations through quietly to save you having to prevent it, and giving you more freedom to pollute in the most disgusting way possible.

Has our city council finally gone bonkers? Stark raving mad? I think I'd rather have the $millions we have spent on the flower show so far, and the millions we have committed in the future, and spend it on not having untreated raw sewerage floating down the river that defines our city.

Someone should be shot for this. My rates money is being wasted, well and truly.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: It's Not Just Hookers Floating In The Avon

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 6/Mar/09 3:59pm

You are absolutely correct. Fucking Skeletor Bob Parker.

And how much did those pointless great big stainless steel planters cost? All along Rolleston Ave!
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Fri 6/Mar/09 4:03pm

This is the face of someone I trust to make sensible decisions that affect the welfare of our city :ib:

NOT
2001466.jpg
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 6/Mar/09 4:39pm

I cant believe you guys don't like flowers :(
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby crazychris on Fri 6/Mar/09 4:43pm

j2hyde wrote:I cant believe you guys don't like flowers :(

Hehe, the Garden City does like flowers, just not rivers full of raw sewerage, and when given a fistfull of dollars, I know which I'd rather throw it at!

Weirdly, CCC paid about $2million for the name Ellerslie Flower Show, and there's the other $3million for the Auckland company to run it for the next few years, so about $5million for the show, whereas we already had a flower show (Gardenz?) and they were desperate for funding from the council, and they got shat on, like the Avon.

So I guess our council does give a shit, you can see them floating down the river.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 6/Mar/09 9:35pm

Two points;

1) Umm, isn't Ellerslie a suburb in Auckland? What's going on? Since when was the Ellerslie Flower Show in Christchurch? Isn't it in Auckland? Has it moved, or have I just been blissfully ignorant for all these years?

2) You're missing the bigger picture. The Ellerslie Flower Show will bring boatloads of tourists to Christchurch... Probably it will bring as many tourists to Christchurch as will be kept away by the river of sewerage and eviscerated hookers that will be running through the middle of your town. So on balance you come out even or slightly better - Same number of tourists, plus you get to look at pretty flowers and thumb your noses at Auckland.

Also the punts on the avon will get a new market - international grossout tourists who want to come and go for a boatride on a river of human filth and misery.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sun 8/Mar/09 3:50pm

happybaboon wrote:Also the punts on the avon will get a new market - international grossout tourists who want to come and go for a boatride on a river of human filth and misery.
I know, you could make a movie about a kid who grew up in the slums of east Chch who then won a gameshow and found his true love, you could call it ghettocat billionaire or something. The bright colours and cultural beauty of Christchurch would wow moviegoers...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Slim on Sun 8/Mar/09 5:22pm

not to mention the $175 per ticket price tag to go to the fucking flower show.

What a fuck up on the councils behalf.They would have been better spending $5mill on a public facility, that will bring tourists all year round, like say Redwoods in Rotorua ;)
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Nick_K on Sun 8/Mar/09 5:52pm

I always thought Chch was a bit of a shithole. This just confirms it.

I like Slims idea of using the 5mil for a redwoods like mtb facility. Maybe then they would have some decent riding.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Nick_K on Sun 8/Mar/09 5:55pm

Maybe I layed the troll on a bit thick there?

In all seriousness though what a disgraceful decision, dumping raw sewage into the one of the cities best attraction is moronic. I hope people create a ruckus over it.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Sun 8/Mar/09 11:49pm

Nobody will create much ruckus. The local paper has no balls so wont run the story - a bank probably overcharged some pensioner yesterday so all their "journalistic" resources will be dedicated to that. And I honestly think plenty of christchurch residents would prefer a flower show over functional essential services.

The great thing about democracy is you get the government you deserve.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby bugle on Mon 9/Mar/09 8:37am

Ah a crisp morning in Ch

Dead hookers bobbing gently on the Avon juxtaposed with the repugnant stench of liberated human waste, could it get any better?
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby xcmtb on Mon 9/Mar/09 9:46am

happybaboon wrote:Two points;

1) Umm, isn't Ellerslie a suburb in Auckland? What's going on? Since when was the Ellerslie Flower Show in Christchurch? Isn't it in Auckland? Has it moved, or have I just been blissfully ignorant for all these years?

2) You're missing the bigger picture. The Ellerslie Flower Show will bring boatloads of tourists to Christchurch... Probably it will bring as many tourists to Christchurch as will be kept away by the river of sewerage and eviscerated hookers that will be running through the middle of your town. So on balance you come out even or slightly better - Same number of tourists, plus you get to look at pretty flowers and thumb your noses at Auckland.

Also the punts on the avon will get a new market - international grossout tourists who want to come and go for a boatride on a river of human filth and misery.

It hasn't been in Ellerslie for ages, it's been in Manurewa, not even in Auckland City
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Local Politics | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Paddling | Politics | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts