National Cycleway Good Economic Sense, Say Cyclists

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Fri 27/Feb/09 6:09pm

A $50 million national cycleway the length of the country, under consideration at today's Jobs Summit in Auckland, makes great economic sense, according to the Cycling Advocates' Network (CAN).

"Major cycling infrastructure projects overseas have brought significant long-term benefits in terms of tourism. Here in New Zealand the success of the Otago Central Rail Trail has shown how a traffic-free route for cycling and walking can have big benefits for the local economy, creating jobs and new business opportunities," says Glen Koorey, CAN's Co-Chairperson.

CAN, New Zealand's national organisation for transport, recreational and touring cyclists, is already involved in a new project to kick-start a national cycling and walking network. Planning has already started on this project, financially supported by the Hikurangi Foundation, and involving the national pedestrian advocacy organisation Living Streets Aotearoa.

It is also one of the initiatives included in the implementation plan for the national walking and cycling strategy, Getting There - on foot, by cycle.

Discussion on Vorb here: cycleway-the-length-new-zealand-t93372.html
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: National Cycleway Good Economic Sense, Say Cyclists

Postby phunk on Fri 27/Feb/09 6:12pm

Although they would say that wouldnt they.

I wish they wouldnt represent themselves as speaking on behalf of cyclists.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 27/Feb/09 6:14pm

phunk wrote:Although they would say that wouldnt they.

:withstupid:
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby thorg on Fri 27/Feb/09 7:12pm

Wobbler wrote:
phunk wrote:Although they would say that wouldnt they.

:withstupid:
x3
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Dazzle on Fri 27/Feb/09 8:08pm

So is Stuff going to do a follow up article tomorrow?

New Zealand's leading cycling forum says fuck off to Cycling Advocates' Network and a hearty get bent to a govt funded cycleway the length of the country
:eh:
Dazzle
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Fri 27/Feb/09 8:28pm

Remember that a lot of joe public has a perception that cyclist are nothing but a bunch of lycra-clad, road hogging wankers, with either too much money or just smelly hippies that can't afford something with an internal combustion engine. I can see Phunk's point. It shouldn't be "this is a great idea for cyclists ( lycra clad wankers/poor hippies)", but a "Great thing for tourism and reduction in road congestion".

Unfortunately, you have to sell it to the majority as well as the minority.
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Ahad on Fri 27/Feb/09 11:04pm

Kazmeistyr wrote:Remember that a lot of joe public has a perception that cyclist are nothing but a bunch of lycra-clad, road hogging wankers, with either too much money or just smelly hippies that can't afford something with an internal combustion engine. I can see Phunk's point. It shouldn't be "this is a great idea for cyclists ( lycra clad wankers/poor hippies)", but a "Great thing for tourism and reduction in road congestion".

The Government don't care. Now they're in, they can do whatever the fuck they want. If John Key thinks its a good idea- its a good idea. Man you guys are a bunch of negative ideologs who seems to think any Government initiative is bad. Wake up, the worlds changed. Sorry you right wingers. When Wallstreet, the corporate sector has fucked up, and ruined the World economy its time for the Government to step in, and at least try to limit the damage.

Actually most of joe public couldn't give a stuff, and don't even think about cyclists. Whats this bullshit cyclists= lycra clad wankers etc? Think you have a warped idea of what general people think. Sure the odd arsehole with nothing better to worry about has that view, but imo they're definately in the minority. You seem to really care what these arseholes think (as if its reality) and want to find any way to dissociate yourself from any connection with being a "cyclist"? Just bizarre!
"I want to be a wanker too!! Pick me, pick me!!" is all I read from your comments. Get a grip man! Its good for tourism, road congestion, and cyclists.

Better that some of the people who become unemployed when the unemploymet rate hits 10% in this country, are re-hired out building cycle tracks than receiving the dole doing nothing.
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby nostromo on Fri 27/Feb/09 11:21pm

Hey nicely put.

My Granddad lived through the depression and got sent out on the work parties. They mostly had to break big rocks into little rocks. Still a lot of useful work got done and things achieved such as bridges, roads etc by people who had owt else to do.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Fri 27/Feb/09 11:50pm

Ahad wrote:
Kazmeistyr wrote:Remember that a lot of joe public has a perception that cyclist are nothing but a bunch of lycra-clad, road hogging wankers, with either too much money or just smelly hippies that can't afford something with an internal combustion engine. I can see Phunk's point. It shouldn't be "this is a great idea for cyclists ( lycra clad wankers/poor hippies)", but a "Great thing for tourism and reduction in road congestion".

The Government don't care. Now they're in, they can do whatever the fuck they want. If John Key thinks its a good idea- its a good idea. Man you guys are a bunch of negative ideologs who seems to think any Government initiative is bad. Wake up, the worlds changed. Sorry you right wingers. When Wallstreet, the corporate sector has fucked up, and ruined the World economy its time for the Government to step in, and at least try to limit the damage.

Actually most of joe public couldn't give a stuff, and don't even think about cyclists. Whats this bullshit cyclists= lycra clad wankers etc? Think you have a warped idea of what general people think. Sure the odd arsehole with nothing better to worry about has that view, but imo they're definately in the minority. You seem to really care what these arseholes think (as if its reality) and want to find any way to dissociate yourself from any connection with being a "cyclist"? Just bizarre!
"I want to be a wanker too!! Pick me, pick me!!" is all I read from your comments. Get a grip man! Its good for tourism, road congestion, and cyclists.

Better that some of the people who become unemployed when the unemploymet rate hits 10% in this country, are re-hired out building cycle tracks than receiving the dole doing nothing.

For Pete's sake man, my own opinion is that the cycleway in essence is a bloody good idea. But if you read and talk outside of the cyclists "circle" yo will find there are plenty of folk that are already jumping up and down spitting tacks.

IF, the NZRU came out and started advocating that building more stadiums, training centres etc. etc. no doubt a decent portion of vorbers would be packing a shit. If Maori came out and said that building a stackload of maraes around the place you would be sure as hell have an uproar.

Whenever an individual sector of society puts there 2c in advoctaing benefits for their own sector of society, folk outside of this sector will pack a shit. What Phunk has stated, and I tend to agree, is that CAN, by advocating this they way they have, can give the message that the benefits of this proposal benefit a certain sector of society, rather than illustrate the vast benefits for one and all, at least to those that are looking for something that directly affects their life. Phunk's comment "they would say that, wouldn't they" is how a lot of people would think themselves.

And whether we like it or not, which of course we don't, there are a great number of people that do not see cycling as high priority.
Kazmeistyr

Postby Kazmeistyr on Sat 28/Feb/09 12:01am

nostromo wrote:Hey nicely put.

My Granddad lived through the depression and got sent out on the work parties. They mostly had to break big rocks into little rocks. Still a lot of useful work got done and things achieved such as bridges, roads etc by people who had owt else to do.

Yes they did. Problem was, they did it for too long, which eventually lead to radical changes, such as rogernomics. Thing we hope to find is a balance between the two extremes. One would hope that some lessons have been learnt from history, but of course history hasn't seen something quite as shite as the situation that we are in now.

Blame your parents for blowing your grandparents hard yakka on caravans,BMW's and McMansions.
Kazmeistyr

Postby nostromo on Sat 28/Feb/09 12:29am

Fark Kaz, your missing the point. The cycleway idea is not 'about' cycling it's come out of a job creation forum (CAN are just saying its a good idea cos). Its one of many ideas to create jobs (and yes ideas are 2 a penny or something like that).
The idea is that 1. It'll get a bunch of people building it, and 2. It will be a good thing for people who want to come and cycle NZ who will bring tourism here.
The guy that is proposing it Mr Key, while I did not vote for him is a clever man, and money is his proven area so it might have merits.

And I saw lots of positive comments from Joe Public on the Stuff responses, even they could see the point.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Sat 28/Feb/09 12:49am

nostromo wrote:Fark Kaz, your missing the point. The cycleway idea is not 'about' cycling it's come out of a job creation forum (CAN are just saying its a good idea cos). Its one of many ideas to create jobs (and yes ideas are 2 a penny or something like that).
The idea is that 1. It'll get a bunch of people building it, and 2. It will be a good thing for people who want to come and cycle NZ who will bring tourism here.
The guy that is proposing it Mr Key, while I did not vote for him is a clever man, and money is his proven area so it might have merits.

And I saw lots of positive comments from Joe Public on the Stuff responses, even they could see the point.

I KNOW IT"S NOT ABOUT BLOODY CYCLING MAN!! But, vast qty's of joe public will not see the woods for the trees. All I am trying to say is that CAN of course will support the idea, them showing their support is like the Legalize Cannabis Party coming out and saying that planting the entire Waikato with some mad gunja is fantastic. Of course they bloody would.

I'm just acting the devil's advocate, being a cynical prick, as this is what I find most ignorant joe public's as being.
Kazmeistyr

Postby Simonk on Sat 28/Feb/09 10:46am

Thanks Dazzle for pointing out the stupidity of a large chunk of this discussion.

Anyone irritated by CAN advocating for cycling projects needs their head read. Sure, CAN's response is obvious, but when something this good for cycling gets proposed there is only one logical response. They spend a lot of time criticising a lack of infrastructure for cycling - it'd be totally rude to remain silent on this one.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby slowMTB on Sat 28/Feb/09 11:08am

I'm for it :thumbsup:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby thorg on Sat 28/Feb/09 11:16am

Simonk wrote:Thanks Dazzle for pointing out the stupidity of a large chunk of this discussion.

Anyone irritated by CAN advocating for cycling projects needs their head read. Sure, CAN's response is obvious, but when something this good for cycling gets proposed there is only one logical response. They spend a lot of time criticising a lack of infrastructure for cycling - it'd be totally rude to remain silent on this one.
I am not irritated by CAN advocating for cycling projects, I just dont like the way they do it.

I also do not believe that the 50mil proposal as it stands is necessarily a 'good' idea for cycling. there just isnt enough information to tell if its good/bad/white elephant - or an excuse to stop spending money on city based cycle infrastructure.

CAN are a special interest loby group, lobbying for their own interests. Disagreeing with them does not make one anticycling. Responses so far from seem to be indicating this is a "if your not with us you are against us/an idiot" issue is quite frankly, a load of shit.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycle Touring | Cycling | National Cycleway | New Zealand | News | Regions - Latest Posts