Norwegian Student Looking For Dh-rides

Postby Bendik on Wed 18/Feb/09 2:35pm

Hi everyone!

I'm an easy-going norwegian student who just moved to Hamilton. I brought my DH-bike along with me, and now I'm looking for some DH-rides. I've understood that Rotorua might be my best and closest, option, but I'm also interested in riding at other places that might exist.
Anyways, if someone have any recommendations regarding how to get around or if anyone would like to take me for a DH-ride I would be much obliged.

Cheers,

Bendik
Bendik
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Norwegian Student Looking For Dh-rides

Postby Tama on Wed 18/Feb/09 2:45pm

Southstar Shuttles run an excellent downhill shuttle service in Rotorua: http://www.southstaradventures.com

If you can make it to Rotorua and get on the bus you'll find lots of friendly locals to point you in the right direction :)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Jono on Wed 18/Feb/09 2:51pm

Also, if you make it down to Wellington at some stage, let us know - we can show you around the various options here (the welly club has races from time to time, like the Labyrinth race run last weekend).
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Bendik on Wed 18/Feb/09 3:06pm

Thanks guys!
Bendik

Postby dhmachine on Wed 18/Feb/09 3:51pm

If you are willing to throw some gas money in, I'm sure me and my mates could give you a ride down to Rotorua, Bendik.

I am a couple of weeks away from home (I'm in Canada right now) but PM me in a week or so and we'll organise a ride soon :)

Mike
dhmachine
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby gimp100 on Thu 19/Feb/09 4:04pm

bendik im an english mountain biker that will be touring around the north island from march. and will be heading down to rotorua in the neart future do you want to meet for a ride
gimp100
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Bendik on Thu 19/Feb/09 6:25pm

Hi! That would be great!
I'm currently not sure how much work there will be at uni, but I aim at doing as much riding as possible.
So if you'd like to, you could just pm me and we'll sort something out!
Bendik

Postby Muz on Fri 20/Feb/09 12:45pm

Getting on a bus or train to AKL and riding the AKL bike parks might keep you happy until you get a proper DH ride lined up (mainly Woodhill as it's got lots of fun little trails and you can ride everything on a long travel heavy bike - you might not enjoy it as much as a smaller rig, but pretty much all of it will be rideable).
It's not too far from Hamilton to AKL and you could definitely say - leave home late on a Friday night or early saturday morning, get yourself on a train and head north. A couple of hours later you'll be in the central AKL area, then you just need to get a ride out to the main riding spots - hook up with a local and try to get them to meet you somewhere central - say the train station or the Britomart complex down town.
Woodhill has some good structures and stuff that you can have a really good play and and use your bike, but it probably won't have any proper DH tracks - it didn't when I used to live up there, but who knows what has changed since then...
Muz
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 20/Feb/09 1:26pm

If you're in rotorua or tauranga, flick me a PM
I shuttle every other saturday.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Bendik on Fri 20/Feb/09 3:52pm

Thanks for all the advices guys! Wonderful to see that there's such a good ride-culture here!
I'll hopefully have my first ride this weekend, going to Rotorua (if the whether says yes).
If anyone wants to say hi, pop over to the tall blond guy riding a blue V10.

Cheers
Bendik

Postby Mr_Bob on Fri 20/Feb/09 3:59pm

rotorua-christchurch-shuttles-cancelled-saturday-21st-feb-t93155.html
shuttles won't be running this saturday, as Jeff said, not confirmed running on sunday either - I probably won't be heading over at this stage.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Bendik on Fri 20/Feb/09 4:23pm

Ok
Bendik

Postby MTBER56 on Fri 20/Feb/09 5:45pm

Auckland Downhill club are running a shuttle day this weekend at Maraetai sign on at 11 o'clock
these will be running monthly over the remaining summer months, with some races thrown in as as well. Contact the President Jamie Roberts on the website http://akdh.co.nz
MTBER56
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Giantman on Mon 20/Apr/09 7:43pm

hey if your still around i can help you out with some shuttles up here in auckland, have ya got drivers licence as we take turns driving.

cheers karl
Giantman
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Hamilton | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts