Re: Whaka Forest To-do Maintenance List

Postby Spadewerx on Thu 26/Feb/09 3:12pm

last night was Hatupatu dig night (this trail is the Tuhoto Ariki extension) organised by the guys at Bike Culture. We finished cutting the trail through for a walking line and have cut our first bench. This trail is likely to be more technical than Tuhoto, and lots of fun.Native goodness
25-02-09_Hatupatu 1st bench.jpg
Spadewerx
"These posts may contain traces of shameless self promotion"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 26/Feb/09 3:14pm

Spadewerx wrote:last night was Hatupatu dig night (this trail is the Tuhoto Ariki extension) organised by the guys at Bike Culture. We finished cutting the trail through for a walking line and have cut our first bench. This trail is likely to be more technical than Tuhoto, and lots of fun.Native goodness

W00t, sounds awesome, especially if its to be more techy (hopefully a few steep bits too) than the main Tuhotu Ariki line
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby Spadewerx on Thu 26/Feb/09 3:33pm

Today Jeff and I looked at the second section of the Corners track, We have put in a berm and some pump rollers to help even out the speed and more importantly the flow of the track. The pump rollers we have incorporated follow roughly the guidelines from Lee McCormacks pump track book http://www.leelikesbikes.com/ebook-welcome-to-pump-track-nation these pump rollers have gentle angles and are distanced so that they enhance the sensation of rolling down the track. They will also prevent rain from running down the trail to assist the drains, double bonus! it was great having the bikes on the trail with us so we could check our handiwork, make sure we got the distances correct etc. Although i can assure you it was all work and neither of us had any fun at all ;)

Trail conditions are great at the moment, i'd say the hot ticket would be Huckleberry Hound into Corners, if you are thinking of hitting the shuttles tonight, stop thinking and get out there, its amazing!
26-02-09_new berm.jpg
this was a flat corner that flows into a mellow tabletop where most riders were stalling their speed, not anymore!
26-02-09_farly flat section of track with mediocre drainage.jpg
26-02-09_3 new rollers.jpg
26-02-09_new roller.jpg
Spadewerx

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 26/Feb/09 3:40pm

ooooh thursday shuttles, I forgot about them ooooooh, great way to try out the new stem length on the trail bike
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Robbie on Thu 26/Feb/09 4:10pm

Great work guys, go the trail builders :) :)

Corners must have been a huge task, good on you for keeping up the great work and refining it even further :)

I may have a go come the Easter Bunny time...
Robbie
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 26/Feb/09 8:18pm

work on corners is great guys, the rollers are cool and you've tidied up some of the berms, its running sweet :thumbsup:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Spadewerx on Fri 27/Feb/09 7:54pm

Glad you enjoyed our efforts.
Today Simon from DoC and I took a walk-through of Hatupatu to assess the extent of chainsaw work that would need to be done. It was great to walk the whole trail now that it is cleared and get an idea of how the trail is shaping up.
After that i hooked up with Jeff and Dave who had carved out an 80m bypass on the Corners track.i helped them finish it up, so I can't take too much credit for this, but i can take pictures...

p.s there is a log that will need cutting before this bypass can be fully enjoyed, so go careful
27-02-09_1523.jpg
existing berm and entry to bypass
27-02-09_1600.jpg
27-02-09_1555.jpg
looking back at the exit onto the existing track
27-02-09_1528.jpg
had some spare dirt so a couple of rollers also made an appearance
Spadewerx

Postby Spadewerx on Mon 2/Mar/09 6:57pm

Had a fair bit of rain on Saturday!! Rode Corners and Jumps yesterday off the shuttle. It was great to see how the work on the trails has held up. Little Red Riding Huck was very dry, Huckleberry hound mostly dry except pedally bit. Corners had quite a few puddles through section 2, section 1+3 were pretty good.
Today I went out to deal to those puddles in section 2, there is supposed to be a fair bit of rain coming our way Thursday through to Saturday, so todays work was mostly damage limitation rather than ongoing improvements.
In most cases I had to cut trenches to the puddles, which does get rid of most of the water, but does not really improve the trail long term. I hope to have the trail draining properly before April.
02-03-09_puddles before.jpg
02-03-09_puddle after.jpg
Mud!!
Spadewerx

Postby Spadewerx on Tue 3/Mar/09 4:57pm

Got out earlier today, definitely enjoying the comute to work! Worked on section 2 of Corners de-cambering for drainage and tickling up some of the features we built last week, then sessioned said features, pushed up to the top of the track and then was riding down and discovered I had missed draining a puddle (shoes are drying now :) )
Trail running really nicely.
Tuesday night, shuttle night, get out there and enjoy it!
03-03-09_more drainage.jpg
03-03-09_berm before 1.jpg
03-03-09_berm after.jpg
Spadewerx

Postby Spadewerx on Wed 4/Mar/09 10:32am

Just had txt from Jeff, he has cut the log on the short cut (section 2 Corners) check it out if you get the chance...
Looks like there is some rain sweeping in tomorrow eve.
http://metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain&region=nzni&noofdays=7
Spadewerx

Postby Spadewerx on Mon 9/Mar/09 12:12pm

rode Corners yesterday, It was in great condition. work is starting to pay off as trail is drying quicker after we have rain. As this week looks like it might be dry, it will probably be safe to move some more soil around and look to improve the drainage further. once the drainage is fully dialed will probably look to doing some well overdue maintenance on Huck Hound and Lil' Red (jump track) maybe some improvements also, i have a couple of ideas...
Spadewerx

Postby Spadewerx on Tue 10/Mar/09 6:40pm

We managed to source Four 100mm Waste pipes, so Jeff and I have been out and run some pipe from the drains on the inside of berms on section 2 of Corners. This should reduce the worst of the puddling through this section.
Trail conditions are great at the moment 8/10.
10-03-09_1503.jpg
before
10-03-09_1612.jpg
after
10-03-09_1637.jpg
before
10-03-09_1710.jpg
after
Spadewerx

Postby Spadewerx on Wed 11/Mar/09 8:27pm

Tonight being Wednesday night, was Hatupatu dig night, with the guys from BC. We walked in from the end and raked and benched our way up the track got about 300m done, placing benches between roots and steep sections and other natural obstacles.
trail conditions 8/10 (been quite windy, watch out for deadfall on trails)
11-03-09_1756.jpg
wicked tree!
11-03-09_1829.jpg
Spadewerx

Postby Spadewerx on Fri 13/Mar/09 8:44am

Did not get any work done in forest yesterday, but did manage to ride. Trails are in excellent condition, the Corners and Jump track race should be great this weekend.
Spadewerx

Postby Spadewerx on Fri 13/Mar/09 8:06pm

Went to the far end of the forest today, to do some clearing of Mossy track. If you have never ventured out this far, its well worth a look, the trail is fun and the scenery is fantastic!
Should finish clearing the trail early next week.
13-03-09_1222.jpg
13-03-09_overgrown.jpg
13-03-09_1356.jpg
not the same spot, but now a bit clearer
Spadewerx

Bay of Plenty | Conditions | Cycling | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Public Notices | Regions | Rotorua | Trail Building | Trail Conditions | Trail Riding - Latest Posts