Re: Penny Farthing Cycles Pnp Mtb Rd 4/5 Belmont Park

Postby fatwombat on Fri 23/Oct/09 12:12am

SlackBoy wrote:
fatwombat wrote:I'm sure the Felt would look awesome with titanium Candy .
look awesome, but ride like shit

Can you explain that for me please? I used to ride shimanos, got sick of mud and stones jamming the mechanism, a friend made me buy candys. But I am aware that the world hasn't followed my lead, I do wonder why from time to time - what is bad about crank bros (apart from the cleats only being good for a few months of hard work). I figured it was better to have a reliable pedal (in he sense of clipping in and out whenever needed) and pay maintenance (i.e. cleat replacement) than have a hardwearing product that didn't perform.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 23/Oct/09 12:52am

fatwombat wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
fatwombat wrote:I'm sure the Felt would look awesome with titanium Candy .
look awesome, but ride like shit

Can you explain that for me please? I used to ride shimanos, got sick of mud and stones jamming the mechanism, a friend made me buy candys. But I am aware that the world hasn't followed my lead, I do wonder why from time to time - what is bad about crank bros (apart from the cleats only being good for a few months of hard work). I figured it was better to have a reliable pedal (in he sense of clipping in and out whenever needed) and pay maintenance (i.e. cleat replacement) than have a hardwearing product that didn't perform.
I've never had mud or stones jam the mechanism. (with the new ones anyway, mind, only 1 or 2 times in a million years with the older ones) The shimanos have a much better feel when clipping in and out, being much more positive. They also have far more durable axles and bearings, oh and bodys. If you move the bike with your feet, then shimano IS the only option. With crank bros pedals you have lil to nil lateral support. My feet come out sideways constantly on them. You dont just steer with your hands and bars.
Yes Shimano are heavier but light isn't always right. And remember kids, friends don't let friends ride pedals that crap out a shit load.
Sure some crank bros don't die, and some shimano's do. It's about the same number. Unfortunalty it's a much bigger number of shimanos that DON'T die and a much bigger number of Crank bro's that DO
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby fatwombat on Fri 23/Oct/09 1:55am

Thanks for that. I guess being technically excellent, you don't need to put your feet down as often as a wobbly wombat so you don't pick up as much mud and stones. What you say makes sense, I'll have to convince one of my kids to swap their shimanos for my candys . . . :satan:
fatwombat

Postby fatwombat on Fri 23/Oct/09 2:08am

I went out on Thursday evening to recce the tracks on the ridge parallel and northeast of Hill Road to see if it was suitable for D grade to come back down - the track starts by the gasworks, where taht huge radio antenna is, goes down into a saddle where yau can't avoid getting ankle deep in cowshit, then a lumpy bumpy muddy cow-rutted descent to Hill Road. Apart from the one cowshit bog the track doesn't have any vices, no technical bits, have you guys ridden there? Would you send the D grade through it? What could we use to cover a 5 metre wide bog to make it easier - a couple of extension ladders lying on the bog that they could ride across?
belmont D return route 015.jpg
Ya gotta be in it to win it!
fatwombat

Postby UnimatrixZero on Fri 23/Oct/09 7:22am

fatwombat wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
fatwombat wrote:I used to ride shimanos, got sick of mud and stones jamming the mechanism, a friend made me buy candys.

I get mud an stones in them occasionally, but only ever notice at the end of my ride. I keep a small tent peg stuck in the ground just by my front door so I can clear the mud and stones out easily.

Been using my factory-standard Shimanos for more than 3.5 years, 4 to 6 rides per week. They've hit rocks/the ground/the bank pretty hard on quite a few occasions and still haven't failed. :thumbsup:
UnimatrixZero
"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 23/Oct/09 7:39am

don't make the D course too ghey...farmroads and hillslogs won't excite the D's, they have to have some challenging tech stuff. They can always choose to walk sections. what's a little crash now and again down big weta :p that's just part of the fun war story they get to tell afterwards. crashes and scars FTW!!
cruiser
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby iodi on Fri 23/Oct/09 7:51am

fatwombat wrote:I went out on Thursday evening to recce the tracks on the ridge parallel and northeast of Hill Road to see if it was suitable for D grade to come back down - the track starts by the gasworks, where taht huge radio antenna is, goes down into a saddle where yau can't avoid getting ankle deep in cowshit, then a lumpy bumpy muddy cow-rutted descent to Hill Road. Apart from the one cowshit bog the track doesn't have any vices, no technical bits, have you guys ridden there? Would you send the D grade through it? What could we use to cover a 5 metre wide bog to make it easier - a couple of extension ladders lying on the bog that they could ride across?

That would be Waitangirua Ridge. Last time I went through there (in August), it was hard work riding the bits that had been seriously chewed up by cattle. I jumped the fence along a bit from the saddle point, rather than wade through the well-fertilised mud bath around the gate area.

I assume that after Waitangirua Ridge you'd have them climb up Hill Road to Hill Road Shortcut and then climb up to the saddle point on Old Coach Road? If so, then going via Waitangirua Ridge is quite a bit longer and more difficult. However, it is certainly more interesting than the direct route of just descending the top part of Hill Road.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Monolith on Fri 23/Oct/09 8:13am

cruiser wrote:don't make the D course too ghey...farmroads and hillslogs won't excite the D's, they have to have some challenging tech stuff. They can always choose to walk sections. what's a little crash now and again down big weta :p that's just part of the fun war story they get to tell afterwards. crashes and scars FTW!!

Comments like yours are precisely the reason my wife and her 3 MTB buddies won't enter any of the PNP races. I'm certain she's not the only one in this position - there are a shitload more recreational riders (Who, incidentally, would rather not get off and walk, or get scars, or crash - they just like riding) who may well feel the same way she does, but choose not to become a part of the PNP series.

Well done on the bravado though, you must be near the front of the D grade race all the time.

Sometimes I feel like I'm bashing my head against a fucking brick wall...
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby thorg on Fri 23/Oct/09 8:16am

Monolith wrote:
cruiser wrote:don't make the D course too ghey...farmroads and hillslogs won't excite the D's, they have to have some challenging tech stuff. They can always choose to walk sections. what's a little crash now and again down big weta :p that's just part of the fun war story they get to tell afterwards. crashes and scars FTW!!

Comments like yours are precisely the reason my wife and her 3 MTB buddies won't enter any of the PNP races. I'm certain she's not the only one in this position - there are a shitload more recreational riders (Who, incidentally, would rather not get off and walk, or get scars, or crash - they just like riding) who may well feel the same way she does, but choose not to become a part of the PNP series.

Well done on the bravado though, you must be near the front of the D grade race all the time.

:withstupid:
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby way_downsouth on Fri 23/Oct/09 8:17am

fatwombat wrote:Thanks for that. I guess being technically excellent, you don't need to put your feet down as often as a wobbly wombat so you don't pick up as much mud and stones. What you say makes sense, I'll have to convince one of my kids to swap their shimanos for my candys . . . :satan:

As someone who is technically s$%t, shimano's are way better than egg beaters.

I originally got egg beaters while riding in Dunedin when the old style shimanos were still around. The cleats wear out fast, I broke two sets of pedals and it didn't take too long for the springs to be knackered and I just didn't get held in regardless of cleat age. I went back to shimano's and it has been a very happy time.
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Zoom on Fri 23/Oct/09 8:28am

I thought "D" was for recreational riders ie people who were keen to give it a go? Therefore the course should be challenging for them and hard enough for them to think "if I just improved a little this would be great" ie so they actually come back.

it is unfortunate that some of the boys grades u15 or younger also use this course. This is where there is a conflict - the young guys are bullet proof but recreational riders are not!

If we want to grow the sport we need the involvement of the Rec grade, these are the people with the money to spend on gear and the time to give to volunteering etc
Zoom
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 23/Oct/09 8:38am

Monolith wrote:

sorry to upset you sir...
my comments are direct from a child in D grade too young to be a vorber (apart from the Scars bit :p ). If you ask most of the U13's they would pick the tech stuff over slog. I appreciate the comments I made can be taken as bravado. But my motive is to give opportunities to juniors to develop a good skillset. Young people who are exposed to technical challenges can develop skills to a far greater level than an adult exposd to the same challenge. Kids should be given skill based activities, not so much endurance based.
I fully agree with you on how disappointing it is that recreational riders don't enter. Especially women!!! (Sporty women = sporty mums = sporty kids) but the goal must surely be to encourage skills capable to conquer these technicalities, not lessen the course difficulty for the lowest denominator....

LOL...hopefully that eases any distaste you may have towards my comments, I was hoping for more light-hearted chats about the subject!
And I even offer to put my hand up for more involvement if it's needed!

And for you 'ZOOM'

thank you for the more pragmatic approach...

I agree young people are more bullet-proof, and you raise good points, maybe there is scope to adjust which course the juniors do vs. the rec riders. A good discussion to have with the God-father and designers.
Because also an important issue in wellington is Youth development...Other centres are smoking us at the moment...maybe I can put my hand up for that??
cruiser

Postby thorg on Fri 23/Oct/09 8:47am

cruiser wrote:I agree young people are more bullet-proof, and you raise good points, maybe there is scope to adjust which course the juniors do vs. the rec riders. A good discussion to have with the God-father and designers.
Because also an important issue in wellington is Youth development...Other centres are smoking us at the moment...maybe I can put my hand up for that??
You are forgiven because you are prepared to help. :D Marco instituted the Enduro class for those wanting more than rec, but not really wanting 'racing'. What we need is a D grade for 'racing' (younungs and rec people wanting to move up the ranks) - and a true 'rec' grade. At teh moment rec grade (or the D course) is not really getting the rec punter along - it doesnt appeal. If PNP want more rec riders, they need courses and events that appeal to them.

The down side is - Wellington doesnt have that many 'easy' tracks, especially when you are trying to hold competitive events at teh saem location; and it all takes people to put their hands up, give their time, and make it happen.

The PNP series is already big, and difficult to get as many classes in as they do now. Adding more just makes it more difficult. As much as I think the series needs a real rec grade, I cant see it happening any time soon. sadly.
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby cruiser on Fri 23/Oct/09 8:51am

thorg wrote:
cruiser wrote:I agree young people are more bullet-proof, and you raise good points, maybe there is scope to adjust which course the juniors do vs. the rec riders. A good discussion to have with the God-father and designers.
You are forgiven because you are prepared to help. :D Marco instituted the Enduro class for those wanting more than rec, but not really wanting 'racing'. What we need is a D grade for 'racing' (younungs and rec people wanting to move up the ranks) - and a true 'rec' grade. At teh moment rec grade (or the D course) is not really getting the rec punter along - it doesnt appeal. If PNP want more rec riders, they need courses and events that appeal to them.

The down side is - Wellington doesnt have that many 'easy' tracks, especially when you are trying to hold competitive events at teh saem location; and it all takes people to put their hands up, give their time, and make it happen.

The PNP series is already big, and difficult to get as many classes in as they do now. Adding more just makes it more difficult. As much as I think the series needs a real rec grade, I cant see it happening any time soon. sadly.

I agree the logistics would be a nightmare...maybe a certain Ashley burgess could use the pool of money and resources at her disposal :lol: :lol: to develop a true rec series as part of push play???

then the PNP series would be a step up for true recs to aspire to, and a stay the awesome series that it is?
cruiser

Postby thorg on Fri 23/Oct/09 9:26am

cruiser wrote:
I agree the logistics would be a nightmare...maybe a certain Ashley burgess could use the pool of money and resources at her disposal :lol: :lol: to develop a true rec series as part of push play???

then the PNP series would be a step up for true recs to aspire to, and a stay the awesome series that it is?
This has not been far from my mind - (as in having another series entirely for rec riders) - I just cant afford to give it the time this summer :huh: may be next summer their may be a 3 event rec series leading into the PNP series :paranoid:
thorg
"what blog?"

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts