Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby KonaGirl on Sun 1/Feb/09 2:58pm

I really don't like store brought sports drinks for their sugar, colourings, price and waste of packaging so am wondering if anyone makes their own electrolyte drink and if so what they use and in what proportions? I've got some Himalayan salt so was planning on using that with a little lemon juice for flavour.
KonaGirl
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby inzane on Sun 1/Feb/09 3:14pm

Yep the salt will give you good replacement of electrolytes lost. Good sea salt (not ordinary table salt) has a good electrolyte balance too.

Do you want some carbohydrates in there to help you keep going as well?? Most sports drinks are actually carbohydrate and electrolyte replacement. If you want to go the natural way I would suggest adding rice malt (can get it from Piko in bulk).

Lemon juice for flavour sounds good.

As to proportions, you could always work backwards from the nutritional information on a current drink. I know the carbohydrates should be at about 4 to 6% but I dont know what the recommended rate for electrolytes are...
inzane
User avatar
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby inzane on Sun 1/Feb/09 3:15pm

or you could just make your own energy gu??

http://www.alpinedave.com/make_gu.html
inzane
User avatar
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 1/Feb/09 3:16pm

have a look in a herbalist or decent health food shop they have good mixups or alternatively have a talk to a herbalist about what you should be putting in there
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby Mr_Bob on Sun 1/Feb/09 3:20pm

half strength vitafresh powder with half a teaspoon of salt, and throw in a berocca :thumbsup:
I like the idea of the home made goo too.
Mr_Bob
User avatar
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby inzane on Sun 1/Feb/09 3:24pm

Mr_Bob wrote:half strength vitafresh powder with half a teaspoon of salt, and throw in a berocca :thumbsup:
I like the idea of the home made goo too.


I think she was trying to avoid the sugar and colour and packaging that vitafresh will have...
inzane
User avatar
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby KonaGirl on Sun 1/Feb/09 3:51pm

inzane wrote:
Mr_Bob wrote:half strength vitafresh powder with half a teaspoon of salt, and throw in a berocca :thumbsup:
I like the idea of the home made goo too.


I think she was trying to avoid the sugar and colour and packaging that vitafresh will have...


yep sure am. And berocca is the devils work as well. imo of course.
Rice syrup, interesting. I'll have a look in piko tomorrow. Thanks Zane. you make your own stuff, is that right? Seem to remember going on rides with you and you put some salt into water.
This is the salt i have:
http://www.himalayansalt.co.nz/index.php?page=harvest
KonaGirl
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby Ahad on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:03pm

Personally I just go down to the beach scrape some salt off the rocks, grab a bit of seaweed. Go home pick a lemon from the lemon tree- chuck it in my bottle and Viola!! Instant world-beating electrolyte drink of champions! :thumbsup:
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby inzane on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:06pm

To be honest if I am just out riding I usually just use water... but if I was actually racing (especially anything that was over a couple of hours) I would definitely use a sports drink. You can go harder for longer when you are getting the carbohydrate and electrolyte replacement.

Can't say I have ever felt the need to put salt into my water, but then I dont tend to cramp much...

I make my own Gu, but for isotonic sports drink I can just grab ready made stuff from work (has sugar and colour etc in it...) so I just use that.
Last edited by inzane on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
inzane
User avatar
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:16pm

nuun is good too, electrolytes with no carbs.
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby Chickenman on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:22pm

shmoodiver wrote:nuun is good too, electrolytes with no carbs.


But you are missing the point. She doesn't want to pay excessive amounts of money and get excessive packaging waste (sic).
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby musket on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:27pm

You can probably get hold of medical grade electrolyte - gastrolyte powder if you ask nicely. It's cheap and very effective.
musket
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby KonaGirl on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:37pm

inzane wrote:To be honest if I am just out riding I usually just use water... but if I was actually racing (especially anything that was over a couple of hours) I would definitely use a sports drink. You can go harder for longer when you are getting the carbohydrate and electrolyte replacement.

Can't say I have ever felt the need to put salt into my water, but then I dont tend to cramp much...

I make my own Gu, but for isotonic sports drink I can just grab ready made stuff from work (has sugar and colour etc in it...) so I just use that.


ha, thought you'd made your own.
Dare i say it, this is all for a half I'm doing in a few weeks. Running in the heat I feel like I need some electrolyte replacement as I'm losing heaps. Would usually just use water.
Do you follow the recipe you gave before for your GU?
Last edited by KonaGirl on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
KonaGirl
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby musket on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:46pm

KonaGirl wrote:
inzane wrote:To be honest if I am just out riding I usually just use water... but if I was actually racing (especially anything that was over a couple of hours) I would definitely use a sports drink. You can go harder for longer when you are getting the carbohydrate and electrolyte replacement.

Can't say I have ever felt the need to put salt into my water, but then I dont tend to cramp much...

I make my own Gu, but for isotonic sports drink I can just grab ready made stuff from work (has sugar and colour etc in it...) so I just use that.


ha, thought you'd made your own.
Dare i say it, this is all for a half I'm doing in a few weeks. Running in the heat we've had I feel like I need some electrolyte replacement as I'm losing heaps. Would usually just use water.
Do you follow the recipe you gave before for your GU?


It's very wise to use whatever you plan to race on a fair bit before the race to ensure your gut is prepared for it and able to handle it. Nothing worse than nasty cramps or nausea in a race because you're experimenting.
musket
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Homemade Electrolyte Drink

Postby cruiser on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:56pm

I think a wise investment for athletes is Magnesium pills. It's near impossible to replace this thru a healthy diet. Works everytime for people who cramp alot. I used to often cramp when contracting my calves or curl my feet even when relaxing. Took a couple of these pills and all gone. I just take when needed or before an epic day!

Magnesium comes in all kinds of forms, some digest well some don't...

It's quite easy to get enough sodium and Pottasium from the diet.

It's also possible to buy all kinds of sugars and stuff from Food wholesalers etc.

I've made my own carb loaded drinks from Fructose and Maltodextrin powder bought in 5kg tubs. It costs a bit up front but lasts ages and the unit cost per bottle is cents not dollars.
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

61 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 58 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop