Calendar Event: June 28, 2009 - July 4, 2009

Bc Bike Race - Vancouver To Whistler

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Thu 29/Jan/09 8:25am

The BC Bike Race incorporates 7 days of singletrack from Vancouver to Whistler. With an epic route designed and endorsed by super endurance mountain bike racer, Andreas Hestler, BC Bike Race is in a class of its own. The lure of riding the best of BC's world-class mountain bike trails has already attracted a broad range of BC Bike Race competitors, from hardcore weekend warriors to some of the world's finest mountain bike stage racers.

The Ultimate Singletrack Experience is proud to announce a brand new route for 2009. The BC Bike Race will kick off 2009 with a ride over the Lions Gate Bridge - from downtown Vancouver to the legendary trails of the North Shore.

Built in 1938, the landmark Lions Gate Bridge connects the city of Vancouver to the North Shore Mountains and communities. The Lions Gate Bridge is the gateway to BC's singletrack and will provide a spectacular start to the 2009 BC Bike Race.

“To be the best mountain bike race in the world we must include the North Shore”, stated Dean Payne, who originally brainstormed the BCBR. Payne had always envisioned a stage on the trails of the North Shore but navigating the hoops and hurdles of big city bylaws without a track record was prohibitive in years one and two. Now that the BCBR has two solid successful years under its belt the time has come to incorporate the North Shore trails.

A few preliminary phone calls to BC Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon and a few more to District of North Vancouver Mayor Richard Walton set the wheels in motion. Mayor Walton, known to some as the “mountain biking Mayor”, immediately embraced the concept and shares Payne's overall vision of the future for both the BC Bike Race and Vancouver's North Shore.

The North Shore, considered one of mountain biking's birthplaces, has produced numerous professional riders, cultivated a range of riding styles and developed innovative trail building techniques that are currently in use the world over. And now the BC Bike Race will showcase some of the classic mountain bike trails that have been staples since the earliest days of riding 'The Shore'.

Vancouver's North Shore now joins the list of the other amazing BC Bike Race venues that reads like the 'where's where' of the finest in West Coast mountain biking - Vancouver Island, Cumberland, the Sunshine Coast, Squamish and, of course, Whistler.

The event sold out in February last year and with 68% of available 2009 entries already snapped up, it won't be long before the BC Bike Race is sold out again!

Additional BCBR route changes include a new Stage 2 and a variation of Stage 3, while the remainder of the race route remains the same. With these modifications, some longer fire road sections will be removed and more singletrack - what riders really want - will be added; better still, the arrival and departure logistics only get easier for participants.

BC Bike Race would like to thank the Stage 1 and Stage 2 towns visited over the last two years for their enthusiastic participation and support: Victoria, Sooke, Shawnigan Lake, Shawnigan Lake School, Lake Cowichan and Port Alberni.

For more information: http://www.bcbikerace.com
logo w pic web scale.jpg
BCBRMap09.jpg
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Bc Bike Race - Vancouver To Whistler

Postby RacerBoy on Thu 29/Jan/09 3:01pm

That sounds epic! If only I had a spare CDN $2250 (+ 5% GST) ... Maby next year ;)
RacerBoy
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby mtbrat on Thu 29/Jan/09 3:11pm

cool.
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Nick_K on Thu 29/Jan/09 3:19pm

Would love to do this one year. Looks like the best of the multiday/multistage races worldwide IMHO.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Simonk on Thu 29/Jan/09 3:32pm

Looks like some fun riding, but a CND$2250 dollar entry fee!!! That's a lot of bagels.
Simonk
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby sifter on Thu 29/Jan/09 3:49pm

2 hearty meals per day ;)

If you were to put together a 7 day "tour" of NZ's sweetest singletrack, how much do you reckon it would cost?
sifter
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 29/Jan/09 3:52pm

sifter wrote:2 hearty meals per day ;)

If you were to put together a 7 day "tour" of NZ's sweetest singletrack, how much do you reckon it would cost?

I could arrange that for $5k per person, the meals will be very hearty.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby DirtyRoadie on Thu 29/Jan/09 4:57pm

As a kiwi living over in Canada (admittedly further east than Van, but I've ridden BC and Alberta a fair bit before), I can seriously recommend scraping together the dosh to do a ride like the BCR - or any riding over here. While most people associate BC with serious North Shore riding, there's heaps of great XC riding there too (check out Squamish - major playground and much less posey than Whistler). The XC is way more technical than what you get in NZ - to give you an idea, the Whistler trail guide would rate Waka as "beginner" and Karapoti as "intermediate" ... It takes a little while to get through the "but I thought I could ride better than that ...", but once you do, the trails are just amazing!!! And that's just BC - there's also Alberta, Ontario and Quebec to check out ... So, yeah ... try it ... I guarantee you'll like it!!! :thumbsup:
DirtyRoadie
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Simonk on Thu 29/Jan/09 5:16pm

Don't get me wrong - having ridden at Whistler and Squamish I agree it's worth making the effort to ride there. But four-figure entry fees?! Better off using that money to buy a pile of extra leave-without-pay and spend a month or two over there, surely?
Simonk

Postby Nick_K on Thu 29/Jan/09 5:37pm

Simonk wrote:Don't get me wrong - having ridden at Whistler and Squamish I agree it's worth making the effort to ride there. But four-figure entry fees?! Better off using that money to buy a pile of extra leave-without-pay and spend a month or two over there, surely?

Depends on your situation. If you only have a limited amount of time you can take off work having something organised like this or getting guides means you can squeeze as much good riding as possible into a short amount of time rather than ending up riding crap and missing out on the good stuff. I spend a few weeks in the french alps last year and was definatly glad I got a guide.

But with the NZ dollar being what it is CD2250/NZ3500 is a fair bit of money for a race.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Simonk on Thu 29/Jan/09 6:38pm

Totally agree that events and guides can provide value-for-money riding goodness, but...

Tell ya what...a couple of weeks before Karapoti Sifter and I will go on a 4-day singletrack mission through Marlborough Sounds. The rider who can do the most sit-ups at the end of each day (within 30mins of the first rider getting there) wins that stage. The overall winner gets bragging rights and a supersize ice-cream in a cone from the Picton ice-cream parlour (paid for by the other riders). No entry fee.

Entries limited to the first 10 riders to PM me (plus me and Sifter, of course).

The tracks will be Linkwater Shortcut, Wakamarina, Nydia Bay and part of the Queen Charlotte. The road riding needed to link these together is included in the 'audax' (DON'T call it a race or DOC will get antsy). If you like the English more than the French, call it a 'Reliability Trial'.

There are no real organisers. You sort all your shit out yourself and be prepared to do all your own navigation. No support crews. You piss off any walkers and you'll be DQ'ed and soundly ostracised.

Date tba once I've checked Sifter is cool with this.
Simonk

British Columbia | Canada | Cycling | Epic Riding | Events | Mountain Biking | News | North America | Regions - Latest Posts