Queenstown = Bewildering Choice :-/

Postby gammmmo on Tue 27/Jan/09 1:32pm

We're coming out to NZ in a few weeks for a one month holiday. I've started looking at biking options for Queenstown but the choice is bewildering and we are only there for 4 days. Looking for gravity assisted DH or all-mountain style riding, but would also be happy to squeeze in some XC singletrack - so what are your top three recommendations? I've shortlisted a few I've found so far:

Heli-bike from Ben Cruchan
Dunstan Mountain traverse
Leaning Rock
Coronet Peak
Mount Moka to Devil's Creek Canyon
Roaring Meg

...and what about 7 Mile Trail and trails around Naseby?

Not bothered really about helicopter bits. Any info on easy access (non 4x4) trails I could drive to myself would be very useful.

Cheers!
gammmmo
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Queenstown = Bewildering Choice :-/

Postby Tama on Tue 27/Jan/09 1:39pm

Leaning Rock is a great epic descent and the chairlifts at Coronet Peak make it great option for gravity assisted riding.

Skippers Canyon is a good self drive (or even ride back out) and is on the Coronet Peak access road, so easy to add in.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby grahamt on Tue 27/Jan/09 2:18pm

Coronet Peak season finishes on 1 March.

Right in town - Fernhill Loop / Skyline / Wynyard Express all worth a play. Wynyard can be shuttled.
7 Mile is close to town (about 7 miles surprisingly!)
Moonlight circuit is a good XC ride that can be ridden in a loop from town - can be also extended to include 7 mile tracks

Further out - Packhorse Track runs off Skippers road just past the Coronet Peak Road turn off.

If you only have 3 - 4 days there's heaps to do locally without having to use valuable time driving.

Enjoy :)
grahamt
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby gammmmo on Wed 28/Jan/09 1:59am

I guess what I am also trying to say is that cost is an issue. I'll be hiring bikes and am prepared to pay for some guiding by people like vertigobikes or fat-tyre-adventures but it makes sense to do some trails that are easy to find for myself.

Leaning Rock with fat-tyre-adventures seems a good option. So what about the DH run from the Queenstown gondola - their website doesn't even mention biking?! Coronet chairlift I assume is all set up for bikers and trail(s) are waymarked so you can sort that yourself without needing a company?
gammmmo

Postby slowMTB on Wed 28/Jan/09 8:17am

If you like wide flowy berms, log rides, drops, tabletops and that type of goodness then go to 7 mile and have one of the best days of your life. You will be back on this Forum thanking me for the suggestion ;) . Get the map from Vertigo first though or you will get lost in there. Wilson's Bay is the best access point - head up to "the hub" and enjoy :) . If you don't mind a bit of pushing then there is heaps to do within riding distance of Q'town .

Best part - you do not need a guide :thumbsup:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby DD-Rick on Wed 28/Jan/09 8:34am

gammmmo wrote:So what about the DH run from the Queenstown gondola - their website doesn't even mention biking?!

:lol: your kidding, Gondola with bike access!!, thats never going to happen, just look at Christchurch :lol:
DD-Rick
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby slowMTB on Wed 28/Jan/09 8:47am

DD-Rick wrote:
gammmmo wrote:So what about the DH run from the Queenstown gondola - their website doesn't even mention biking?!

:lol: your kidding, Gondola with bike access!!, thats never going to happen, just look at Christchurch :lol:

The map you get from Vertigo includes the runs from the top where the Gondola is - it requires some pushing up yet again. Although I believe if you get Vertigo to guide you then they have Gondola access ( can someone confirm this ) .

Regardless, you will have a heap of biking to enjoy. You will be wishing you spent more time there .
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby grahamt on Wed 28/Jan/09 9:05am

Skyline tracks are accessible through either taking the commercial guided trip with Vertigo (its on their website - not the gondola website) which provides gondola access, or riding up yourself for free. If you want to ride up you can ride up the gondola service track - about 20min - bike or walk only. No cars allowed. Can't take bikes on the Gondola unless you are with a Vertigo trip. Vertigo link here

If cost is a factor there are several places to hire bikes including decent 5"- 6" trail bikes in town, and there is a local map available from bike shops. Go to outside sports or vertigo.

Skyline, Vertigo, Fernhill, Wynyard, 7 Mile, Moonlight are all accessable within easy riding distance from town without rerquiring a car or paying for guided trips.
grahamt

Postby gammmmo on Wed 28/Jan/09 11:25am

Thanks for the info people - that should save me some time/money. Regarding the Skyline Gondola - it does seem odd that to use it with your bike you have to go with vertigo...obviously a nice little earner for someone, but hey, if they were instrumental in getting the course put in in the first place then I guess that's their payback.

From what I've seen online it would appear its the kind of course that really appeals if you can ride it not just twice (as with vertigo) but all day - starting off with session-ing stuff and then getting faster and faster...and thats when the real buzz starts to kick in. We have a track in the UK at a place called Cwmcarn and they do all-day uplifts...takes a few runs to get into it but then once you have the course dialled, thats when the real buzz hits you.
gammmmo

Postby ezybike on Thu 29/Jan/09 11:04am

Also contact Dan at freeridenz and see what he can do for you trip wise.
The Gondola used to be open to bikes but to some guys took real muddy bikes on board and made a big mess of it.
Again small group ruin it for the rest.
ezybike
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Muz on Thu 29/Jan/09 11:22am

Ummm, I think you're missing Dream-track or Mini-dream. Either of those is a must - at least for a look if you're not into jumping. There's also a small Dirt Jump park, just out of the town centre. I can't recall the street name, but it's one of the main streets that heads out from town, it passes a lot of motels and holiday parks and there's a Supermarket on the same street (New World I think). Follow that road a bit (in the opposite direction from town) and you'll find a nice little DJ park :)
Those 2 could be good options to fill in time around other riding, assuming you liked that style of riding too :)
Muz
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby grahamt on Thu 29/Jan/09 11:34am

Muz wrote:Ummm, I think you're missing Dream-track or Mini-dream. Either of those is a must - at least for a look if you're not into jumping. There's also a small Dirt Jump park, just out of the town centre. I can't recall the street name, but it's one of the main streets that heads out from town, it passes a lot of motels and holiday parks and there's a Supermarket on the same street (New World I think). Follow that road a bit (in the opposite direction from town) and you'll find a nice little DJ park :)
Those 2 could be good options to fill in time around other riding, assuming you liked that style of riding too :)

Dream Track is at the start of Wynyard Express / end of Fernhill Loop, so well worth a look. Some of the stuff up there is insane!

The street referred to above is Gorge Road (road to arrowtown and coronet peak)
grahamt

Postby gammmmo on Thu 29/Jan/09 12:42pm

Again, thanks for the info guys. DJ is not my style i.e. I'm too old for all that stuff ;-) and have my hands full with small jumps and drops on DH courses, coming from a XC background mainly. I saw the Dream Track on Drop-In TV and it looked insane...there was this older guy sponsored by Santa-Cruz and a Queenstown local (Nathan something) doing massive jumps and drops - more like FMX than biking.
gammmmo

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Otago | Queenstown | Regions | Shuttling - Latest Posts