Hobart Mtb Trails Go Off

Postby TheRealBronson on Tue 20/Jan/09 11:43am

Hey all just a brief note to tell you about riding in Tasmania.
I went there for work last week and after a bit of googling decided to take my mtb. Good move. I found a local website www.dirtdevilsmtb.com and asked a few questions about where to ride and hooked up with a couple of local pedal heads - no they weren't related but apprently just about everyone else in Tasmania is!
They have this kickarse hill called Mt Wellington 1270m with tarseal road to the top - sheshesh - we dropped a car at the brewery at the bottom of the hill - yes a brewery ...and then drove about halfway up.
Bombed this fast walking/riding track and got my first blow out in under a minute. It's all rock over there, mega fast but you need 50pounds or tubeless to avoid flatting.
Sorted my flat and then screamed on down the hill before hitting an xc-ish tailor made mtb singletrack track called North South with some mellow northshore thrown in. Lush forest - a bit dryer than NZ - and most of the trail is like hand madeout of stone - super low friction.
Finished off with a firebreak dh back to the brewery - did I mention they make beer there.
I rate their trails highly and I am a fussy bastard at the best of times.
Anyway that's not all folks, they have another purpose built bike park just off the side of Mt Wellington called Tolosa Bike Park www.tasbikepark.com.au and it rocks as well. I rocked up there by myself and walked up a hill - probably around 250m vert over 2km and rode the DH track, really rocky and dry as your mouth after a big night on the steinies.
Fast open dh track with a few little drops and jumps then it finishes quite close to the top of their purpose built 4x track. They also have a jump park and bunch of XC trails.
I was so stoked I walked back up the DH track for another crack and due to enthusiam exceeding coordination had a big stack where the DH crosses the XC trail. As is always the way I picked myself up to see a bunch of lycra clad XC heads smiling as they slogged up the trail. So just to punish myself further I decided to slap my seat up and jump on the back of their little spandex caravan of hardtails. Luckily they were not that fit and I managed to keep up with their slowest guys and rode a few xc trails. They were pretty bloody good, fast flowy and winding up and down the hill.
In conclusion I think Tassy rocks, good trails, good weather, good people.
TheRealBronson
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Australia | Cycling | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking | Regions | Shuttling | Trail Building - Latest Posts