Ladies Who Dh

Postby spaxton on Tue 20/Jan/09 8:53am

I have introduced a policy for this season that females ride for free at my shuttle days, this is to encourage woman to come along and check it out or if they already ride DH to help balance an already male dominated sport. But in 3 events we have had around 4 female riders take advantage of this offer ( 2 of the 4 times was the same person ).
Am I wasting my time?
Are there actually No females in the sport?
Andy
http://www.dhnz.com
loading up.jpg
spaxton
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Ladies Who Dh

Postby thorg on Tue 20/Jan/09 9:31am

Have you checked out Marthahucker.com? (I belive that is the site, someone will correct me if I'm wrong) - might be a good place to start with getting some female feedback. From what I have witnessed - young males (groms if you will) tend to not be particularly nice to female riders who are out there giving it a go. They are aggressive and competitive - and not really creating an atmosphere where newbies (of any flavour) feel comfortable.

Perhaps women only times during the day? or women only days? I helped out as a marshal at the Wellington super double D cup last year, and in the pouring rain (from memory) over a dozen women turned out for a morning of shuttles and timed runs. A very well supported event, which has since been repeated in Chch.

Try contacting fauxname on vorb - one of the rising stars in gravity for women in NZ :)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Tue 20/Jan/09 10:05am

Hey Andy,
I think your initative is great and I was very keen to give this a go some time this summer. Unfortunately I've managed to break my arm over Christmas so am gutted to say it won't be happening for me this year. You are not wasting your time, however what thorg says is right. It can be very intimidating rocking up for shuttlez and having groms be all "oooh look at the chicks". For me the only reason I haven't been out to give it a go is timing issues with the shuttle days, and getting out to Methven. I think initiatives like yours to get more chicks involved is brilliant and I hope more girls take it up for the next shuttle day. (I would have :( )
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby marvinfrank on Tue 20/Jan/09 10:13am

whats the big deal ?
ignore the stupid groms, HTFU & just go & ride

dont complicate things by being so sensitive, :)
marvinfrank
"never let the truth get in the way of destroying someone's reputation"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Tue 20/Jan/09 10:17am

:lol:

damn sensitivity holding me back ;)
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"

Postby spaxton on Tue 20/Jan/09 12:49pm

thanks for the feed back
I am in contact with Marthahucker.com from the start
covered my posters with huge print the fact that ladies ride for free
advertised the fact on nzride.com
on vorb
on my site (dhnz.com)
I have posters posted all over the south island in shops etc
Maybe you could organise a group of ladies for a private shuttle day with my company? if you find the little kid's to scary?
My advice is Use it or Loose it.
Andy
spaxton

Postby thorg on Tue 20/Jan/09 12:59pm

spaxton wrote:Maybe you could organise a group of ladies for a private shuttle day with my company? if you find the little kid's to scary?
My advice is Use it or Loose it.
Andy

wow, guess I really deserved that.
no - I do not find little kids scary.
but I cant be fucked putting up with abuse for no good reason - especially if I am paying for the privilage.
If the problem with women turning up is the attidute of your current clients, and you are suggesting that the ladies should just put up with it - then I hope you get the success you deserve.
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby spaxton on Tue 20/Jan/09 1:18pm

Last comment from me, As only interested in upping the awareness for female riders not slagging them off sorry if I offended.
If you have not been to one of my shuttle days then you will be happy to hear that the racing fraternity that is sometime guilty of attitude are kept well in tow by the environment that we create on these days.
This is a day designed with the fun aspect as a top priority and coupled with the large amount of kids involved as well as families and big kids (myself included) I believe that we have succeeded.
At this stage the ladies ride for free set up is for this season and will be re valued before next season.
At this stage the results make me think that this maybe not for the ladies??
Andy
spaxton

Postby Mel on Tue 20/Jan/09 1:29pm

Keep it going Andy. It might take a while for things to take off, but as word gets around that it's a good (and free :D ) place to ride, more women should get into it. It doesn't sound like it's costing you much, so if you can do it for another couple of seasons it might help get more women into the sport.

And yeah, I always like riding more when there were more women around... so women's days or events could help too.

I live on the wrong island. :(

Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:
Mel
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Tue 20/Jan/09 1:42pm

spaxton wrote:At this stage the results make me think that this maybe not for the ladies??

oh no! :0 Please don't think that. I was hoping others would be taking it up so I'd get a chance to when I had a free weekend. I'm gutted I'm broken now and might miss out altogether.

As I said before, I think its bloody brilliant you are doing this. THANKS!
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"

Postby thorg on Tue 20/Jan/09 1:43pm

spaxton wrote:Last comment from me, As only interested in upping the awareness for female riders not slagging them off sorry if I offended.
If you have not been to one of my shuttle days then you will be happy to hear that the racing fraternity that is sometime guilty of attitude are kept well in tow by the environment that we create on these days.
This is a day designed with the fun aspect as a top priority and coupled with the large amount of kids involved as well as families and big kids (myself included) I believe that we have succeeded.
At this stage the ladies ride for free set up is for this season and will be re valued before next season.
At this stage the results make me think that this maybe not for the ladies??
Andy
and my final comment -
If you are genuine in getting more females involved, than I suggest it is the perception of what you are offering that needs to be dealt with. There are women out there doing DH/gravity as the success of martherhucker type events has already shown. You have removed the barrier of cost - so what is left? you are providing an oppertunity to a market that exists - so why a no show?

I can think of 2 reasons - you are either providing an environment that is not liked by your target, or there is that perception out there.

If you environment is what is wanted, then the easiest way to get that out there is to get the women who are turning up to speak up. You mention one has come back for a repeat day? - perhaps ask this person if they would mind writting a brief article about how they found it - and get that out in the manner of your previous advertising. Perhaps it is the issue of it coming from you, not your users, that is interferring with you message reaching the target audience?

whatever the reasons, popsting on an open forum like this leaves one open to abuse, and many dont like that. i hope that those that thought about using your service and chose not to PM or email you with your reasons if they dont post here - at least then if its an easy fix you can fix it.
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby pissface on Tue 20/Jan/09 3:42pm

hah thorg's a lady :D
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby sweet_P on Tue 20/Jan/09 3:59pm

:lol: I can assure you Thorg is ALL* man ;)

Have you not seen those hairy legs!?
sweet_P
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Tue 20/Jan/09 4:28pm

Maybe the hairy legs are some sort of european thing :p
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"

Postby thorg on Tue 20/Jan/09 4:35pm

pissface wrote:hah thorg's a lady :D
and I do lady things* :)

*blatant steal from Pulsar
thorg
"what blog?"

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mount Hutt | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Shuttling - Latest Posts