Re: Miramar Track Project

Postby benw on Thu 8/Apr/10 7:25pm

Hi All,

We'll be doing a dig again this Sunday from 10am on Jail Brake. Meet near the pine tree (fourth corner from the top) and if we are not there head down the track until you find us.

A big thanks to Cyndi, Kat and the rest of the team who helped pick up so much rubbish from around the exit to Jail Brake last Saturday. The area is looking much better and Council is now looking at options for better fencing for the property there (which they own) to stop the rubbish blowing into the area again (it's a recurring problem on rubbish / recycling day). They are also going to see to the wasp infestations along there. Thanks too to Paulo and Dave from the WCC Parks and Gardens team for organising and paying for the skip bin and to Mat from the Chocolate Fish who supplied free coffees for the volunteers, cheers mate.

Thanks too to Russ who got the crew out on Sunday to do some digging on Jail Brake. Thanks to Ricky, Darren and his son, Jeremy and family, Ming and Josh. They got the line around the pine tree cut and the track scratched out nicely. They discovered a beehive in there and someone got stung for their troubles. WCC are going to see what they can do about getting it removed or seen to. And a big thanks again to Mat, Sarah and the Chocolate Fish crew who once again came through with some baking for the team and hand delivered it on Sunday, much appreciated.

I wanted to also say that if possible when you are riding a bike on Conviction or Bootleg and encounter walkers please give way. There have been mutterings from one older resident who is apparently 'not sure which tracks she can take her grandchildren on anymore' because of these mountain bikes everywhere. It is a little odd as there were not any tracks to take her grandchildren on before this project came along but some people have selective memory. Anyway, it's a good reminder that we need to sort out the protocols to minimize any minor disagreements before they become larger issues. The general idea is Conviction and Bootleg are dual use tracks by default as per WCC guidelines. The Mountain Bike community pushed hard for this as it benefits cyclists across the city to have the default position to allow us to ride on trails unless there is a good reason that we shouldn't. It used to be the opposite of that. However, as on other tracks (with the exception of Makara Peak and the jumps line on Roller Coaster) cyclists should give way to walkers as is the protocol on other tracks in Wellington City, plus it is good PR to stop and smile.

However, with regards to Jail Brake, I will be discussing with council that our signs strongly recommend no walking (those berms are pretty hard to walk down anyway) and that bikers have right of way. I am reluctant to have ask for 'no walking' signs, for a whole host of reasons including it's bad PR, I also often push my bike back up and I intend to continue to run on the track as much as my knees will allow ;-).

Finally, if you hear of / see people shuttling on Conviction and Bootleg who look like they could have more fun on Jail Brake see if they know about it and how much more fun it is, that will help avoid too many issues, really we want to keep those two tracks to be most uphill with only the less confident amongst us riding down them too often, certainly not a good place to pin it. That is what Jail Brake is for.

See you Sunday.

ben
benw
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby SlackBoy on Thu 8/Apr/10 7:41pm

benw wrote:I wanted to also say that if possible when you are riding a bike on Conviction or Bootleg and encounter walkers please give way. There have been mutterings from one older resident who is apparently 'not sure which tracks she can take her grandchildren on anymore' because of these mountain bikes everywhere.
poor lachlan
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby benw on Thu 8/Apr/10 9:32pm

SlackBoy wrote:
benw wrote:I wanted to also say that if possible when you are riding a bike on Conviction or Bootleg and encounter walkers please give way. There have been mutterings from one older resident who is apparently 'not sure which tracks she can take her grandchildren on anymore' because of these mountain bikes everywhere.
poor lachlan

He held up well under interrogation, claiming ignorance while she waved the recent newspaper article in his face demanding to know if he knew them.
benw

Postby benw on Sun 11/Apr/10 9:08am

BUMP - reminder that we'll be digging today from 10am on the new uber berm, fourth corner down from the top on Jail Brake

ben
benw

Postby Grant on Sun 11/Apr/10 9:21am

benw wrote:BUMP - reminder that we'll be digging today from 10am on the new uber berm, fourth corner down from the top on Jail Brake

ben

See you there!

And on another note:

I was up on Conviction yesterday around 2pm doing some new trail marking and saw some chaps shuttling.

Transition bikes, full face helmets, lots of skids :sly: If anyone knows who that was could you check that they are aware of the actual DH track "Jailbreak" and that it is far more betterer for DH bikes and speedy'ness.

The gravel on conviction is already starting to get cut up with the skids and to be honest it's frequented by lots of walkers with kids etc and not really suited to fast descents.

Cheers All.
Grant
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby benw on Sun 11/Apr/10 9:31am

Grant wrote:
benw wrote:BUMP - reminder that we'll be digging today from 10am on the new uber berm, fourth corner down from the top on Jail Brake

ben

See you there!

And on another note:

I was up on Conviction yesterday around 2pm doing some new trail marking and saw some chaps shuttling.

Transition bikes, full face helmets, lots of skids :sly: If anyone knows who that was could you check that they are aware of the actual DH track "Jailbreak" and that it is far more betterer for DH bikes and speedy'ness.

The gravel on conviction is already starting to get cut up with the skids and to be honest it's frequented by lots of walkers with kids etc and not really suited to fast descents.

Cheers All.

Yeah, I put another thread up on that too so our irregular readers would spot it... and I have just made a sign that I am going to put at the top this morning.
benw

Postby Grant on Sun 11/Apr/10 9:42am

benw wrote:Yeah, I put another thread up on that too so our irregular readers would spot it... and I have just made a sign that I am going to put at the top this morning.

So you did :blush:
Grant
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby benw on Sun 11/Apr/10 2:23pm

Well, what a great turn out today. We had one of those days when we didn't have enough tools for everyone...

A big thanks to Grant, Paul, Josh, Austin, Michael, Jeremy, BGA and Ed, Dave / Mono, Keryn, Jo, Ricky, Dave / Spacemonkey, Brendan, Mac, Darren and Ben. That's one of our largest turn outs for a dig and it meant we got the whole berm finished along with the new jump into it and the benching and corner out of it. We are confidant that it is the largest berm in the Wellington Region and is going to be super fun once it packs down...

It's now the official line although keep low on the berm as the top half is not ready to be ridden, hopefully with the rain forecast for this week it will start to pack down. So keep it at half warp factor nine.

thanks everyone

ben

ed and dave.jpg

exit_line.jpg

the berm from below.jpg
benw

Postby benw on Sun 11/Apr/10 6:39pm

Great effort by Josh today, he continued on until late in the afternoon....and with only half a one-square-meal to fuel him. Top effort mate.
benw

Postby ursavage on Sun 11/Apr/10 10:14pm

Looking mean guys!

I assume this cuts out that dodgy jump into the dusty corner - oh and remember to duck or get taken out by the large tree?

Will have to get a guided tour next time I am down!
ursavage
"Would rather be riding"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby benw on Mon 12/Apr/10 8:14am

ursavage wrote:Looking mean guys!

I assume this cuts out that dodgy jump into the dusty corner - oh and remember to duck or get taken out by the large tree?

Will have to get a guided tour next time I am down!

Actually no, better than that. The 'dodgy jump' as you call it is still there, then just after it about 10m along there is now a kicker that pops you up to land on the down slope that has been leveled and which now directs you into the berm which you then fang around on the outside of the tree. So the inside line 'duck as you go by' is gone.

The new track section is apparently is riding very nicely although super soft and dusty still (rain tomorrow night apparently).

That first jump is also going to be built up into a full table top. So from the second corner down it will be 'big launch, big left hand corner, table top, launch to transition, huge right hander berm...'.

;)

ben
benw

Postby Joshguy01 on Mon 12/Apr/10 10:34pm

Well someone's dealt to that first jump this afternoon. I was up there riding for a few hours in the early arvo, came back at about 4:30 to discover the top had been knocked off it.
Oh and technically I was up till evening rather than afternoon on Sunday :sly:
Joshguy01
"My psychiatrist said I'm special"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby MTBChick on Tue 13/Apr/10 8:59pm

Bloody great job guys. It's an awesome piece of track you got going on up there. Love the steep berms and jumps it sure keeps you on your toes.

(I was the rider in the Bike Otago shirt with Jo on Sunday :thumbsup: )
MTBChick
"Learning from the big kids"

Postby benw on Fri 16/Apr/10 1:26pm

Hi All,

We'll be digging again this Sunday from 10am on Jail Brake, you'll find us near the top, we have two projects in store for this weekend. The first is the first corner which needs to be opened up and then run in and out benched a little better. Then if we get that done we will head down the track to below the sections that were built last weekend (i.e. the mega berm) to widen the 'rock corner' and keep working on down from there. Hope to see some of you there, and thanks again to everyone who made it along last week, great turn out.

Track Issues: We've had a problem this week with kids damaging plants and putting branches across the track (Conviction). Please keep an eye out for anything like that and let me know if you see anything. We also had a dog loose on Jail Brake that got hit by a rider. Luckily the rider was OK. We're getting signs that might help but bear it in mind that dogs are often running free around the water tower area and down through the bush / across the track. Even though it is not an official dog exercise area they were there first and so there is some sense of ownership of the area (technically all dogs should be on a leash).

On that topic, we're still having dog poo issues on the tracks and around the entrances near the water towers. If you see a dog owner not cleaning up after their dog please let me know. Remind them too if you feel like it that they need to clean up after their pets. It is NOT good enough for them to kick it into the bush (we plant in there) or just to leave it. They are required to take it away with them. If the issues of dogs running out of control and crapping everywhere persist then I am going to ask the council to enforce the 'on leash only' rules which we are entitled to have enforced in the area. Best if we don't have to go there. I am also going to see if we can get ourselves one of those big green dogs from WCC that waste can be put into...

Finally, a big thanks to Grant who has kindly designed, printed and laminated a number of signs for Jail Brake and also a more perminant 'please don't shuttle Conviction and Bootleg sign'. The signs will be replaced by permanent WCC signs over time but for now will make sure that everyone is aware that Jail Brake is bike priority (walking not recommended but not banned), "expert", under construction etc..

ciao

ben

--
Miramar Track Project
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miramar-T ... 761?ref=ts
benw

Postby benw on Sun 18/Apr/10 8:20am

Morning all,

A reminder that we'll be up the top of the track working our way down on a few tweaks we want to get done before we start to build the middle section. Top corner in particular is getting opened up today and I am hoping to get the track from the entrance to the corner benched properly.

ciao

ben
benw

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts