Plant Order Confirmed

Postby benw on Tue 19/May/09 4:13pm

Hi All,

Just got off of the phone with Marc Slade at WCC and he's confirmed that we'll be getting our full quota of 500 plants that we requested for this year to put into the Maupuia Reserve. It's a damn fine list of 'enhancement species' including a few 'forest giants' like Kahikatia, Totara as well as bird favorites like Kowhai...

We're going to have them delivered to my place on Friday the 24th of July so pencil in Sunday the 26th of July as the planting day, and I will probably get a head start on the Saturday afternoon both ferrying them into particular spots and possibly planting a few as well.

I'll send out a reminder much closer to the time,

cheers

ben
benw
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Re: Miramar Track Project

Postby Oli on Tue 19/May/09 4:16pm

Good stuff! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Tue 19/May/09 5:35pm

so i guess that means i shouldnt feel guilty about cutting a big tree down because i'll be balancing my karma by planting a better tree :)
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Grant on Mon 1/Jun/09 5:24pm

Astonishingly good weekend considering the weather was arse and we hadn't planned to do much...

Firstly thanks to Dave who was out on Sunday cleaning up some of the lower track that wore the brunt of all the foul weather we have had in the previous week. There are some new rock armoured fords that seem to be doing the business.

Whilst Dave was working on the lower tracks Ricky and I went out for an ice skate on the middle section of the track now know as "CONVICTION" see attached picture of Ricky standing amid hailstones :blink: We also scoped some new options at the top of the reserve to link the upper "BOOT LEG" trail to the "JAIL BREAK" downhill run.

Today Ricky, Mike and Jono, Ben and myself worked on extending "BL' . All up I would estimate another 50-60m of track and more importantly we have now broken through to the end!!

A couple of grainy cell phone pics don’t really do it justice.

Lots of tuning to do and a few interesting sections that need more work but the track is looking great.

Finally a quick snap* of the bridge at the very bottom that once complete will enable us to get in and gravel some of the slippery lower sections.

*Small child added to give sense of scale...
All-Hail-Ricky.jpg
During a hailstorm on Sun
Image0003.JPG
The end!!!
Image0004.jpg
Somewhere near the end!!!
Bridge_unfinished.JPG
Grant
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 1/Jun/09 5:36pm

TeH Orbs!!!!!!

My arms are all crampy at the mo, after some 6 hours of digging today. Moved some big big arse Rocks , and dug a heap of Dirt.

We are now taking bets on how many skips worth of rubbish will eventually be taken away from the top of the hill. I'm picking 3 of the really big skips
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Mon 1/Jun/09 6:09pm

Nice work, you guys. Awesome for you to be out there putting in this work in this weather. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 1/Jun/09 6:11pm

Today was mint tho, Spent the arvo in a t-shirt. tho I was wearing my CCC compression pants, and post trackies
SlackBoy

Postby one_uknw on Mon 1/Jun/09 6:21pm

Looks sweet!
one_uknw
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Machuca on Mon 1/Jun/09 9:16pm

When do you think you will have decking timber onsite for nailing into place?
Happy to hammer hand for the day (if it's a day or morning I have off work). :)
Machuca
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Grant on Tue 2/Jun/09 8:35am

Thanks Dave, will let you know. Hopefully this week some time
Grant

Postby sifter on Tue 2/Jun/09 9:29am

Loving the names. "Conviction" for a climb up to a prison is glorious! "Jail Brake" I really like too ;)
sifter
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Grant on Tue 2/Jun/09 9:57am

Cheers John,

It was starting to get a bit difficult to direct people without track names. Hopefully we don’t attract any more* reprobates and low life’s with the theme.

*cycling community excluded of course :paranoid:
Grant

Postby Jono on Tue 2/Jun/09 12:32pm

Nice work guys. Me and mike (the hippy) took a "tour de mirimar" yesterday, and met ricky up on the top track. We helped him with our madcore tree-removal skills for an hour or so, and then rode out the (newly cleared" track to the road.

Very nice work :thumbsup:
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby ahinui on Tue 2/Jun/09 12:59pm

Grant wrote:Astonishingly good weekend considering the weather was arse and we hadn't planned to do much...

Alan and I got up there for a few hours on Saturday to do some stump pulling on Boot Leg. Cleaned out 20m of new track that Paul and his son christened straight away :)

Liking the names, makes it much easier to identify. If someone else hasn't already done it, was thinking about getting up there this weekend with the GPS and adding them to tracks.org.

Any dramas with doing this?
ahinui
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby benw on Tue 2/Jun/09 8:24pm

ahinui wrote:
Grant wrote:Astonishingly good weekend considering the weather was arse and we hadn't planned to do much...

Alan and I got up there for a few hours on Saturday to do some stump pulling on Boot Leg. Cleaned out 20m of new track that Paul and his son christened straight away :)

Liking the names, makes it much easier to identify. If someone else hasn't already done it, was thinking about getting up there this weekend with the GPS and adding them to tracks.org.

Any dramas with doing this?

That would be grand, and would save Ian the trip over to do the GPSing...and given even 'Conviction' has changed since he last GPSed it, definitely a good idea....

What we need to do is decide where Conviction stops and Boot Leg starts. I was thinking that the 'natural' place probably isn't the 'top' (under the pines, next to the grass area) since that isn't really an entry / exit...

I thought that perhaps Boot Leg might start from the Nevay Road turn off and go all the way to the western Prison sign we just pushed through to....thoughts?

I'd like to add that I didn't have my compression pants on yesterday but when I arrived Grant and Ricky were both skipping up and down the new trail in theirs, holding hands and singing 70's pop songs.

ben
benw
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts