Re: Miramar Track Project

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Mon 26/Jan/09 2:17pm

There is a line around the side of the fallen trees at the top ,i walked it on sunday ,wont take too much work, wont even need a chain saw me thinks. i'd be happy to open this if permission comes through.
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby benw on Mon 26/Jan/09 2:50pm

Mike_the_Hippy wrote:There is a line around the side of the fallen trees at the top ,i walked it on sunday ,wont take too much work, wont even need a chain saw me thinks. i'd be happy to open this if permission comes through.

Great, we'll need to work through the issues with the sidle track first since right now the access to the Hippy Line is over Crown Land and I suspect WCC will want to keep on their good side (by making sure people don't wander onto Prison land). The good news is that there is benching already for a good chunk of the sidle track from the top of the Green track so building it if agreement can be reached should be quick.
benw
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby kevOD on Mon 26/Jan/09 8:28pm

yep, certainly enjoyed digging a new track, look forward to the next session. On a unrelated- related matter, does anyone know the contact details of the people building the new single track on the east side of the road up to the globe in Brooklyn. It looks like it will join up to the short single track that heads south out of the carpark by the windturbine. A few of us are keen to help dig as we're locals and have tools. cheers kevin
kevOD
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Mon 26/Jan/09 8:34pm

kevOD wrote:yep, certainly enjoyed digging a new track, look forward to the next session. On a unrelated- related matter, does anyone know the contact details of the people building the new single track on the east side of the road up to the globe in Brooklyn. It looks like it will join up to the short single track that heads south out of the carpark by the windturbine. A few of us are keen to help dig as we're locals and have tools. cheers kevin

Craig Starnes might be in the phone book. Otherwise try to get hold of Ant Bradshaw... There's a huge bunch of them, but I know these two are right in the midst of it all :)
sifter
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby iodi on Mon 26/Jan/09 8:50pm

sifter wrote:
kevOD wrote:yep, certainly enjoyed digging a new track, look forward to the next session. On a unrelated- related matter, does anyone know the contact details of the people building the new single track on the east side of the road up to the globe in Brooklyn. It looks like it will join up to the short single track that heads south out of the carpark by the windturbine. A few of us are keen to help dig as we're locals and have tools. cheers kevin

Craig Starnes might be in the phone book. Otherwise try to get hold of Ant Bradshaw... There's a huge bunch of them, but I know these two are right in the midst of it all :)

That would be Car Parts Extension. PM me with your email address and I'll put you in touch with Craig.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby benw on Tue 27/Jan/09 5:55pm

An update from the WCC team, it sounds like the Tree Team is going to take on the two pines. The timing is TBD, likely to be a 'side project' when time allows but with luck we'll see some progress in the next couple of months (it's a big job).

In the meantime the track is of rideable as a there and back to the fallen trees.
benw

Postby benw on Sat 31/Jan/09 11:17am

The MoU has been sorted and signed with WCC so we are all official. The image below is the proposed 'track plan' that has been put in thus far. However everything but the Green and Blue lines (the path to the look out - great views from there) still needs to be discussed, designed and approved, we included it in the MoU so people could see where we would like to go. Lots to sort out but it gives you a sense of the shape of the tracks as we see them developing. Still more scope on the left / west side (below the water towers) although it is shorter and steeper there.

The brown circles are the places where we have either added (top two) or will add (bottom one) switch backs or track to link up what already exists. The two massive fallen trees that WCC will hopefully remove in the next month or two are just below the blue line, so it gives you an idea of just how much is rideable now as a there and back.

note: the track placement on this image is very much guess work / art, Iodi plans to fix that up in the near future when we are open so look for details on http://www.tracks.org.nz at that point...

In terms of the other potential tracks, Yellow is a gentle climb north and then a sidle track (mostly) that skirts the Crown land, leading to the Red line. Lots of work still on where that would actually be, but it gives you an idea at least.

There is also a possibility of having a line down the ridge between the Yellow and Blue tracks and as I said above, more opportunity out West in that gully / valley below the water towers although we need to do more investigation there before we understand how practical that is.

ben
MaupuiaReserveProposedTracks.jpg
benw

Postby benw on Sat 31/Jan/09 11:23am

And here are a couple of photos from last weekend, thanks again to everyone who made it along. Picnic was great fun.

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1743.JPG

Love that bush track feel, beats working in the hot sun :)
benw

Postby SteveWallace on Sat 31/Jan/09 3:40pm

You guys up there tomorrow?
SteveWallace
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Grant on Sat 31/Jan/09 8:39pm

SteveWallace wrote:You guys up there tomorrow?

Not me, I'd like to think I can get up to the T3 work party for a bit but family commitments are conspiring against me... :hmmm:
Grant
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby benw on Sun 1/Feb/09 11:13am

Grant wrote:
SteveWallace wrote:You guys up there tomorrow?

Not me, I'd like to think I can get up to the T3 work party for a bit but family commitments are conspiring against me... :hmmm:

Me neither, won't have a chance to head in today although did do a quick walk through with Wim and Sasha yesterday and removed a number of sharp stumps from the track.

Interestingly Sasha managed to walk up that second straight pinch climb (and down again with some assistance, it's the one near the trees at the top). I'd say if a 2.5 year old can walk up it I'd say anyone should be able to ride it or hang their head in shame ;)
benw

Postby SteveWallace on Sun 1/Feb/09 4:17pm

If i bike to work tomorrow i'm gonna scoot up after and check it out.
SteveWallace
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Machuca on Sun 1/Feb/09 6:54pm

Ok I went up and did a few hours work on it today, Other than taking to those pines with a chainsaw it's pretty well almost done!
Couple of things though;

Couple of spots lower down on the trail where streams cross the trail on rainy days, if some one could get some large diameter plastic pipe I could make rock bridges over those areas like the one doen the bottom of trickle falls.

And just past the fallen pines there is a large Manuka down across the track just near where that small 2nd trail joins on, it's still alive and happy and 4ft-5ft off the ground, instead of cutting thru it I'd like to just go up there with a grubber and put a sort of step down and lower the track to go under it. Recon I could knock that out in 2 evenings after work this week with out too much trouble. The slope of the track works well for doing this also.
Machuca
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby ahinui on Thu 12/Feb/09 11:55am

When is the next work party?
ahinui
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby J-o-d on Thu 12/Feb/09 6:15pm

Hey im local and keen ! Whens the next dig day?
J-o-d
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts