Help To Establish Value Of Two Road Bikes Needed!!!

Postby nz_kgb on Mon 22/Dec/08 2:57pm

Hey guys & gals, I need some assistance here to put a value on a couple of bikes.

Tragically, we recently lost a friend in a tramping accident on Labour weekend. He was also an avid rider, having raced in his youth and ridden around New Zealand a couple of times as well as having completed a cycle tour of Europe.
As you can imagine, his garages (two of them and a cupboard in the house!) are full of bike parts, some new and some old. Amongst all of the bikes he also had are the two bikes here which his wife would like to sell.

The first is an ALAN bike.
I am not sure of model/type of bike - it has a sticker on the seat tube that says Campione Del Mondo then has the dates 1974 1975 1976 1979 at the bottom. Stamped on the frame above this is ALAN283.

HANDLEBARS: I have no idea - stamped in them in a wreath either side of the stem and onthe left side it says WINPISTA, Japan. They have COLNAGO plugs in the ends of them.
STEM: ATAX
CRANKS: DURA-ACE
FRONT MECH: DURA-ACE
REAR MECH: DURA-ACE
BRAKES: DURA-ACE
PEDALS: DURA-ACE with red Christophe straps
FORKS: ALAN
SEAT POST: ALAN
HEADSET: Campagnolo
HUBS/SKEWERS: Campagnolo Record
RIMS: AMBROSIO 19 (Then has words DUREX and AERO dynamic on it, made in Italy)
TYRES: IRC Road Lite EX
SEAT: CONCOR s. marco supercors (has a squiggle of some sort after the supercors)

No rear cluster and no chain.

We would really appreciate it if someone could tell us the value of this item so I can list if for sale online. I ride mountain bikes (don't hold it against me :) ) so I have no idea of what these are worth.

I will post a reply with the second bikes details.

Cheers,

K
ALAN.JPG
ALAN bike in question...
nz_kgb
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Mon 22/Dec/08 3:02pm

That is a nice 'classic' 80's bike and looks to be in reasonable condition. It is one of those bikes that would be worth virtually nothing to most people but that Connoisseurs might pay quite a bit for - I'd guess it would be worth about $1200 - $1500, depending upon exactly what parts are there and what condition they are in, but I'd put a reserve of about $800 on it.
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby nz_kgb on Mon 22/Dec/08 3:15pm

Second bike is a GIANT ALLEGRE

HANDLEBARS: I have no idea again but they have cinelli on one side and then that Campione del mondo on the other - could they be swapped off the ALAN?
FORKS: GIANT
STEM: GIANT EXT PRO
CRANKS: SHIMANO 105
BRAKES/SHIFTERS: SHIMANO 105
FRONT MECH: SHIMANO RX100
REAR MECH: SHIMANO ULTEGRA
HUBS/SKEWERS: SHIMANO
PEDALS: mallard CXC??
SEAT POST: unknown
HEADSET: FSA DURON
RIMS: MAVIC OPEN PRO
TYRES: Michelin AXIAL Super Comp
SEAT: Has SPX on the side of it but not sure of brand?
REAR CLUSTER: Sunrace
CHAIN: SRAM PC48 I think (hard to make out 8)
2 BOTTLE Holders : minoura

I know it is hard to put figures on this sort of stuff sight-unseen but if someone can help us, it really would be appreciated - don't want to rip anyone off, but also don't want to get ripped off either! :)

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers, K
GIANT.JPG
Giant bike for valuing...
nz_kgb

Postby CaptainCaveman on Mon 22/Dec/08 3:16pm

$50.
CaptainCaveman

Postby nz_kgb on Mon 22/Dec/08 3:17pm

CaptainCaveman wrote: That is a nice 'classic' 80's bike and looks to be in reasonable condition. It is one of those bikes that would be worth virtually nothing to most people but that Connoisseurs might pay quite a bit for - I'd guess it would be worth about $1200 - $1500, depending upon exactly what parts are there and what condition they are in, but I'd put a reserve of about $800 on it.

Thanks for the quick reply Captain!!! I thought this was going to be the case with this one - I believe Stehen didn't actually ride this one but just had it hanging in the shed.

I really appreciate the feedback - his wife will be most grateful.

Cheers, K
nz_kgb

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 22/Dec/08 3:58pm

:( I'm SORRY to read re your friend.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 22/Dec/08 4:04pm

Re the ALAN.
I wouldn't put such a high reserve on it.
I've seen them sell on Trademe for under $600 - sure they didn't have Dura Ace but they were in good condition etc.
It really depends who's looking - it'll hopefully go to a collector who really wants it and will pay a bit more for the previledge.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby nz_kgb on Mon 22/Dec/08 4:05pm

CaptainCaveman wrote: $50.

hahaha - quite a difference in price between these two then!

Cheers once again for the info.

K
nz_kgb

Postby CaptainCaveman on Mon 22/Dec/08 4:07pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
I've seen them sell on Trademe for under $600 - sure they didn't have Dura Ace but...

Go figure :rolls eyes:
CaptainCaveman

Postby nz_kgb on Mon 22/Dec/08 4:10pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote: Re the ALAN.
I wouldn't put such a high reserve on it.
I've seen them sell on Trademe for under $600 - sure they didn't have Dura Ace but they were in good condition etc.
It really depends who's looking - it'll hopefully go to a collector who really wants it and will pay a bit more for the previledge.

Yeah, of course our preference would be for the collector to buy it rather than just anyone - I will leave this post up overnight and see what response I get - but thank you for your comments as well - they all help to build a picture for us.

Cheers, K
nz_kgb

Postby Gordio on Mon 22/Dec/08 8:51pm

nz_kgb

I've pm'ed you..

Gordy
Gordio
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby OliverBendix on Mon 22/Dec/08 9:11pm

nz_kgb wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote: $50.

hahaha - quite a difference in price between these two then!

Cheers once again for the info.

K
You might get a couple of hundred for the Giant, if it's in good nick - it'd be good for someone who wanted to do some events as a punter.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby danose on Mon 22/Dec/08 10:12pm

nz_kgb wrote:Yeah, of course our preference would be for the collector to buy it rather than just anyone

can you post a closeup of the cranks and the brakes on the alan - the cranks look suspiciously like Dura-Ace AX (oversize pedal spindles) - in which case it's even more collectable (espec if it's got the matching AX brakes)

there's lots of 40-somethings out there likely to buy a bike like that (classic frame in good nick and totally top spec'd) to relive their glory-days :paranoid: on fine sundays, reckon it'll sell easily and for decent $$$
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby nz_kgb on Mon 22/Dec/08 10:51pm

danose wrote:
nz_kgb wrote:Yeah, of course our preference would be for the collector to buy it rather than just anyone

can you post a closeup of the cranks and the brakes on the alan - the cranks look suspiciously like Dura-Ace AX (oversize pedal spindles) - in which case it's even more collectable (espec if it's got the matching AX brakes)

there's lots of 40-somethings out there likely to buy a bike like that (classic frame in good nick and totally top spec'd) to relive their glory-days :paranoid: on fine sundays, reckon it'll sell easily and for decent $$$

I have posted a few more pics - one of the rear brake, one of the front and the other of the left hand crank. Please note, they are taken inside with a flash so not looking that good - front brake mounting bolt looks rusty in the pic but it is gleaming in the flesh :)

Should also note I guess that the shifters are Campagnolo too - I think was the good gear of the day?

Thanks for all the comments though guys - getting a better idea of what this is worth now.
Brake.JPG
Back brake
Crank.JPG
Cranks
Front Brake.JPG
Front brake
nz_kgb

Postby Spokes on Mon 22/Dec/08 10:56pm

Oh, love those brake shoes.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts