Extended Visit To Nzl - Wanna Ride, Need Advice

Postby Eurosquirrel on Mon 3/Nov/08 3:56am

Dear all,

I have the distinct pleasure to visit NZL from November 16th, 2008 to mid January 2009. My 'homebase' will be Dunedin, but I willing and mobile enough to explore other areas of your country. My skill set and bike can be considered heavily on the Freeride side, i.e. I am looking for Freeride and DH trails rather than XC, even if I do not mind a longer all-mountain-ride. After all, I brought my short-travel bike, a Transition bottlerocket.

Hence I would like to enquire who could help me out with locations, trail recommendations, or even show me around or hook up for a ride, very much obliged.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Happy trails

Phil aka The Eurosquirel

p.s. I also gonna be driving from Christchurch to Dunedin and have a day on the road, any cool trails on the way?
Eurosquirrel
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby psychavoc on Mon 3/Nov/08 8:04am

Pretty sure you'll be here in time for the chairlifts to be working at the ski-fields in Queenstown (about a 3 hour drive from Dunedin) for chairlift shuttle action! :thumbsup: If you've watched Drop In Season 4, there's a section on Dreamtrack in Queenstown which you might find to be good for a giggle.

The Christchurch crew I'm sure will take you exploring their trails. There's also a shuttle service running up the Port Hills at the moment - info here: http://www.vorb.org.nz/article-87854.html

A bit of DH in Dunedin - you'll be just missing the Nationals DH race held in Dunedin at the end of January. At least the DH track will be getting pretty fluffed and ready for the race!

Some DHey type riding out in Central Otago aswell - Alexandra/Clyde area I think :)

I'm more a XC rider myself (and a rather nanna-ish one at that!) so hopefully someone else will come along with some more advice for you :thumbsup:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mjc on Mon 3/Nov/08 9:10am

Tonnes of riding to be had down there. Queenstown and Wanaka in particular have some really great riding of all types.
The great thing about NZ is its size, nothing is too far to get to in a day. Chch is well worth a visit. Other than Treble Cone, DirtPark and Coronet peak, there arent really many commercial uplift services though so you might have to do some pedalling!!
mjc
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby mitch7 on Mon 3/Nov/08 9:56am

We have Wakamarina...in our region...bit of a up hill for about 1.5hours..bit down..then hike a bike for half an hour...Lunch...

Then strap it on through Native Beech forest down down down

zigzagging switchbacks all the way..

Also we have Whites Bay loop...short sharp shock.
Mucho Funo!
mitch7
"A beard is like having a machine gun on your face. Pure badass."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Eurosquirrel on Mon 3/Nov/08 11:59am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the swift response, it appears that all the good things I did hear about the MTB community in NZL are indeed true;-) So, keep it coming.

Psychavoc - thanks for the great piece of advice, despite coming from the lycra faction, and the link you included in your message. And yes, I guess I will watch a lot of Drop in Tour Season 4 on my 22 hours flight to get stoked.

Seems like you know the region quite well, and if you want to see me suffering just hook up for a ride while I am down there. Very much obliged.

mjc - muchos gracias for the lift locations, which I might be hitting whenever I do have an opportunity to. BTW, are you currently in NZL, if yes, wanna hook up for a ride?

Mitch7 - seems like a great way to spend a day on the trails. Is it easy accessible and also easy to find for a foreigner;-) Or lemme know if I can join for a run when you'll be heading out there. Very much appreciated.

Happy trails

Phil aka The Eurosquirrel
Eurosquirrel

Postby mjc on Mon 3/Nov/08 12:17pm

:pmob: Ha! Unfortunatey I'm not in NZ at the moment... I'm currently throwing people down hills on bikes in the middle of the Andes for a living!! If you feel the need for a biking holiday in Bolivia or Peru let me know.

There will be a heap of people that will show you around on here tho!
mjc

Postby psychavoc on Mon 3/Nov/08 12:29pm

Eurosquirrel wrote:Psychavoc - thanks for the great piece of advice, despite coming from the lycra faction, and the link you included in your message. And yes, I guess I will watch a lot of Drop in Tour Season 4 on my 22 hours flight to get stoked.

Sorry, am living in Wellington at the moment, after spending 7 years down in Dunedin while studying. Will be down for a week around Christmas though (and may have my Nomad in tow :satan:) so I may be in touch ;)

Forgot to mention that the regional forums on Vorb are also quite helpful - check out the Otago region one here =} http://www.vorb.org.nz/index-region-otago.html

In particular, the "DH Dunedin" crew will be running monthly trailer days (shuttlezzz!) up Signal Hill. More info here: http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-87446.html

There's also a DH race being run in Kaitangata (around a 40 minute drive south of Dunedin) in December. Details here: http://www.vorb.org.nz/article-88017.html

If you get friendly with the guys and girls at the local bike shops, I'm sure you'll find heaps of people to go riding with too. I'm a big R&R Sport fan myself, but there's also Browns and the Cycle Surgery aswell.
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Eurosquirrel on Tue 4/Nov/08 6:35am

mjc wrote: :pmob: Ha! Unfortunatey I'm not in NZ at the moment... I'm currently throwing people down hills on bikes in the middle of the Andes for a living!! If you feel the need for a biking holiday in Bolivia or Peru let me know.

There will be a heap of people that will show you around on here tho!

In the middle of the Andes, sounds pretty cool, you aren't by any chance connected to the boys at Sacred Rides, are you? Thanks for all the help, though, and I will most certainly keep you in mind, because some of my former study buddies re from Peru.

Happy trails

Eurosquirrel

Postby Eurosquirrel on Tue 4/Nov/08 6:40am

psychavoc wrote:
Sorry, am living in Wellington at the moment, after spending 7 years down in Dunedin while studying. Will be down for a week around Christmas though (and may have my Nomad in tow :satan:) so I may be in touch ;)

Forgot to mention that the regional forums on Vorb are also quite helpful - check out the Otago region one here =} http://www.vorb.org.nz/index-region-otago.html

In particular, the "DH Dunedin" crew will be running monthly trailer days (shuttlezzz!) up Signal Hill. More info here: http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-87446.html

There's also a DH race being run in Kaitangata (around a 40 minute drive south of Dunedin) in December. Details here: http://www.vorb.org.nz/article-88017.html

If you get friendly with the guys and girls at the local bike shops, I'm sure you'll find heaps of people to go riding with too. I'm a big R&R Sport fan myself, but there's also Browns and the Cycle Surgery aswell.

Hi psychavoc,

Thanks for all the information, very much obliged. And, yes, by all means drop me a line when you come down here.

Nomad, sounds like a pretty sweet ride, what setup are you running?

BTW, 7 years of studies seems like quite an extended time, BA, MA and a PhD on top?

Happy trails

Eurosquirrel

Postby herbman on Tue 4/Nov/08 6:53am

alexandra is well worth a look, lots of rocks to huck off if that is your thing, but there is also loads of techy single track which tends to be one way and that is down.
there are also a few big mountain rides off some of the ranges around the area. flat out and long.

plus the weather up this way tends to be a little nicer than dunners
herbman
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Eurosquirrel on Tue 4/Nov/08 7:06am

herbman wrote: alexandra is well worth a look, lots of rocks to huck off if that is your thing, but there is also loads of techy single track which tends to be one way and that is down.
there are also a few big mountain rides off some of the ranges around the area. flat out and long.

Thanks for the info, Herbman. And yes, indeed, I have been known to be an 'old school hucker', so the terrain sounds very promising. How far away from Dunedin is Alexandra exactly? And where are the trails, or perhaps you could show me around?

Happy trails

Eurosquirrel

Postby herbman on Tue 4/Nov/08 9:20am

Eurosquirrel wrote:
herbman wrote: alexandra is well worth a look, lots of rocks to huck off if that is your thing, but there is also loads of techy single track which tends to be one way and that is down.

Thanks for the info, Herbman. And yes, indeed, I have been known to be an 'old school hucker', so the terrain sounds very promising. How far away from Dunedin is Alexandra exactly? And where are the trails, or perhaps you could show me around?

Happy trails

alexandra is about 2-3 hours out of dunners depending on how you drive and whic way you go.

the trails are in the hills around alexandra and cylde.

i would be happy to show you some trails but at times my time is very limited.
herbman
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 4/Nov/08 9:22am

couple hours tops.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Eurosquirrel on Sun 9/Nov/08 2:23am

herbman wrote:
Eurosquirrel wrote:

Happy trails

alexandra is about 2-3 hours out of dunners depending on how you drive and whic way you go.

the trails are in the hills around alexandra and cylde.

i would be happy to show you some trails but at times my time is very limited.

Thanks, Herbman,

I'll drop you a line once I settled in Dunedin.

Happy trails

Eurosquirrel

New User Introductions | Vorb - Latest Posts