Cycle Helmets

Postby porscha on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:16am

Our greenies at CAN now think that we should not wear cycle helmets as it gives the impression that cycling is a dangerous sport. It just goes to show that these dick heads know nothing about cycling and are there to promote their own stupid ideas.
I have seen 4 crashes where riders have struck cars / road where the helmet has split in 2 and saved that rider from brain injury.

Its time to stand up against these CAN people as they will try and put in place stupid laws that will affect us real bike riders. Ask yourself how many can people attend weekly training rides, races, tris etc Answer None.
porscha
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Flyboy on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:21am

:pmob: eh, doesnt stop anyone wearing a helmet if they want to.
If you're stupid enough not to wear a helemt, then fall off and crack your skull, well the jokes on you
Flyboy
User avatar
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:21am

Actually having riden and raced prior to the days of compulsory helmets, and having suffered heavy crashes (including a heads-on with a motorbike with a closing speed well over 100kph) on and off road, with and without a helmet, I can tell you from personal experience they make stuff all difference. I'd be fine with it being a voluntary decision.
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Fango on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:25am

I'll always wear mine (my choice), but I don't see why it should be illegal for someone to ride without one (their choice). Where's the problem in that?
Fango
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 1 month

RE: Cycle Helmets

Postby Monolith on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:28am

porscha wrote:I have seen 4 crashes where riders have struck cars / road where the helmet has split in 2 and saved that rider from brain injury.


How long have you been a crash investigator/neuro specialist? It's amazing that you can tell a brain injury has been prevented simply by eyeballing a helmet :thumbsup:
Monolith
User avatar
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:42am

Some people argue that by not wearing a helmet you are putting yourself at unnecessary risk and that we all pay for it via tax to fund the health system, and they like to use seatbelts as an example of how making them compulsory reduces injuries etc. The problem is that the stats used to justify wearing helmets aren't exactly reliable.
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 14 years 2 months

RE: Cycle Helmets

Postby iodi on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:52am

porscha wrote: Our greenies at CAN now think that we should not wear cycle helmets as it gives the impression that cycling is a dangerous sport.

Cycling is a dangerous sport. To pretend otherwise is just lunacy.

Obviously some types of cycling are more dangerous than others, and so the appropriate protective gear varies accordingly (full body armour anyone?). But even a fall at slow speed on flat ground can cause serious brain injury - an outcome that a helmet could prevent or at least lessen.
iodi
User avatar
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

RE: Re: Cycle Helmets

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:53am

iodi wrote:

Obviously some types of cycling are more dangerous than others, and so the appropriate protective gear varies accordingly (full body armour anyone?). But even a fall at slow speed on flat ground can cause serious brain injury - an outcome that a helmet could prevent or at least lessen.


Or not. There are just too many variables.
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 14 years 2 months

RE: Re: Re: Cycle Helmets

Postby iodi on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:56am

CaptainCaveman wrote:
iodi wrote:

Obviously some types of cycling are more dangerous than others, and so the appropriate protective gear varies accordingly (full body armour anyone?). But even a fall at slow speed on flat ground can cause serious brain injury - an outcome that a helmet could prevent or at least lessen.


Or not. There are just too many variables.

True. The literature on the efficacy of cycle helmets is a bit mixed.

Nonetheless, I'd rather hit the ground with my helmet than with my head. And I've done both :crazy:
iodi
User avatar
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 24/Oct/08 11:59am

I reckon if it were voluntary I'd wear one on the mtb, but not on the road.
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby iodi on Fri 24/Oct/08 12:03pm

CaptainCaveman wrote: I reckon if it were voluntary I'd wear one on the mtb, but not on the road.

Road surfaces tend to be remarkably unforgiving.
iodi
User avatar
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Monolith on Fri 24/Oct/08 12:14pm

iodi wrote:
CaptainCaveman wrote: I reckon if it were voluntary I'd wear one on the mtb, but not on the road.

Road surfaces tend to be remarkably unforgiving.


So do mature trees, large drops and maing-made trail structures.
Monolith
User avatar
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby jeremyb on Fri 24/Oct/08 12:19pm

I think meat hats should be compulsory for bikes instead.
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Fri 24/Oct/08 1:12pm

Have a good read of this thread here

http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopic-51457-0.html

It has many of the arguments for and against helmets.
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby CaptainCaveman on Fri 24/Oct/08 1:24pm

That information is out of date :cool:
CaptainCaveman
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

49 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 45 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles