Bathurst Maaaaate

Postby Tama on Wed 8/Oct/08 6:52pm

:pmob: Struth cobber mate. Holden, Ford, beer.

I'm not a great motorsport fan but I'm always up for a bit of Bathurst. Who's your favourite this year?
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby nzmatto on Wed 8/Oct/08 6:56pm

Might get to see the end of it, out for the rest of the day. I don't care who wins, so long as there is no blue on the podium!
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby phantasim on Wed 8/Oct/08 6:58pm

Murph ftw definately, Got the tots in blenheim so will miss it tho :thumbsup:
phantasim
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:07pm

Whincup/Lowndes will be tough to beat again. Tander/Skaife, Kelly/Radisich, Johnson/Davison, Winterbottom/Richards, Courtney/Besnard will all be right up there, any of those combinations could take it out or at least be on the podium.

I don't think Murphy/Richards are gonna be in the hunt, their car reliability has been shocking this year. Ingall/Morris could pull an upset if Morris doesn't have a brain explosion.

I think Van Gisbergan/Webb have a decent chance at a top 6 if they find the consistency to go with their speed. Same with Holdsworth/Caruso, they're another one of those young but fast combinations. Steve Owen and whoever his co-driver is (Warren Luff?) could pull a top 6 too, Steve Owen really should still be in the main game, he's a hugely underrated driver IMO. McConville/Jones are a good endurance combo too, they were doing well at the 500 til Jones did his sick barrel roll. :lol:

So yeah. Lots of options. Should be another good one. I hope for lots of rain. Van Gisbergen is awesome in the rain...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby TheRealHotKarl on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:15pm

I don't see the Super side of these cars?
TheRealHotKarl
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby dented on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:17pm

TheRealHotKarl wrote: I don't see the Super side of these cars?

Dont look at them then. Cock.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby dented on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:20pm

I would also pick Whincup/Lowndes as favourites. Very hard to go past 2 such consistently good drivers in the same car.
I would rate Kelly/Radisich as a good chance for a bolter. Anyone who thinks the Rat is past it, must have missed watching him in the NZV8's at Taupo on Sunday, the dude is driving incredibly well.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

RE: Bathurst Maaaaate

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:20pm

Tama wrote: :pmob: Struth cobber mate. Holden, Ford, beer

You forgot the car burning, and other assorted mayhem at the mountain top campground - though I think they may have toned that down a bit recently.

Anyone for the win except Skaife :satan: - last year (I think) was classic - he was on pole, but clutch went tropo as he got away, and whilst staggering along the side of the track he got clobbered real hard from behind = out on lap 1. Haven't really been following Aussie V8'as much this year but it is one of those races where anything can happen. Murph has been a bit off the pace, but his team mate/co-driver - lesser known kiwi Jason Richards - has good speed, and they could be up there. Murph holds the outright lap record from qualifying a few years back. Also Fabian Coultard kiwi) has been going OK in a Ford - a few top 10 finishes, but not sure who he's teamed with. I'm a bit of a blue oval man myself, so teams like Triple8 - Whincup / Lowndes, Stone Bros (kiwi) - Courtney / Van Gisbergen (kiwi), and FPR - Steven Richards (born in Oz, but immortal kiwi dad) / Winterbottom would be my picks.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:26pm

Mate, have you never heard of hype or branding ..... what do you think they should call it ? "Ordinary family sedan racing with V8's" would sound exciting !!
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Flyboy on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:32pm

phooooooooooo, where to start???

wachys got the main contenders about right, though given how the Rat did at the island i owuld expect an above average performance from him. skaife/tander get my money though no doubt. the way tander was able to hunt down the Ford at the first enduro was seriously impressive, and his team mate Skaify is anything but a slouch at The Mountain!

If Murph was ever going to shine this season, it'll be this race but Im not holding my breath.
The parity issue will be interesting to watch. the general idea is that the Fords are faster on the straights, but that didnt really show at Phillip Island, which is a fairly fast track. The best way to tell will be to watch the end of conrod straight with great anticipation.

The usual, time-honoured traditions apply for me and a few others this year; watch the shootout saturday night, have a few brews, then get stocked up with food and Ginger beer for the big race sunday morning to enjoy the spectacle that is the Great Race :cool:
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Flyboy on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:35pm

I see that wachy mentioned the Rat already now.

Oh, and die Team kiwi, die. theres SFA Kiwi about it these days, and its a bit of an embarressment that team anyway. dodgy bookkeeping, scrounging people for money, and a number of other strange goings on I have caught wind of.
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby evilknieval69 on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:35pm

dented wrote: Anyone who thinks the Rat is past it, must have missed watching him in the NZV8's at Taupo on Sunday, the dude is driving incredibly well.

W3rd. he was mint at taupo!

EDIT: oh and wont be watching bathurst :( Will be at taupo at the drifting :0
Last edited by evilknieval69 on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
evilknieval69
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:36pm

dented wrote:

Dont look at them then. Cock.

Nice. :D
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Monolith on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:43pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:

Mate, have you never heard of hype or branding ..... what do you think they should call it ? "Ordinary family sedan racing with V8's" would sound exciting !!

How about "Taxi racing"? :eh:

They just need some beaded seat covers. :thumbsup:
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 8/Oct/08 7:47pm

Monolith wrote:
pedalingkiwi wrote:

How about "Taxi racing"? :eh:

They just need some beaded seat covers. :thumbsup:

:lol:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts