Howdy! - Welly Newbie With A Hutt Road Commute Question

Postby flyingkiwi on Tue 29/Jul/08 8:29pm

Hi all,

I've recently moved to Welly and am still trying to find the box that the movers put my bike pedals in :hmmm: When I do I'm keen to join the commuters.

I'm living near the bottom of Onslow Road in Khandallah and should have a pretty sweet ride along the Hutt Road cycle lane (minus the traffic hazards and the power poles in the middle of the path - whats with that?!) but am wondering if anyone has advice on how to get across the Onslow Road/Hutt road intersection without ending up smeared across the road? Onslow road merges into Hutt road but you end up in the centre lane with the cycle lane way over on the left. Anyone with experience?

Cheers!
flyingkiwi
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby ThingOne on Tue 29/Jul/08 8:35pm

The onslow road turning is a bit dodgy. Just be carefull I guess, or go through khandallah and down Ngaio Gorge instead. :-)

The power poles were to stop cars parking on the cycleway by the overpass, the area used to be full of cars
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby flyingkiwi on Tue 29/Jul/08 8:37pm

ThingOne wrote: Go up Ngaio gorge instead to get to Khandallah , the onslow road turning is a bit dodgy.

Thanks for the quick reply! Hmmm, I live about 100m up Onslow Road from the bottom so on days when I want an extra long ride your suggestion will be great :D On days when I just want to get home its rather a detour!
flyingkiwi

Postby ThingOne on Tue 29/Jul/08 8:40pm

flyingkiwi wrote:
ThingOne wrote: Go up Ngaio gorge instead to get to Khandallah , the onslow road turning is a bit dodgy.

Thanks for the quick reply! Hmmm, I live about 100m up Onslow Road from the bottom so on days when I want an extra long ride your suggestion will be great :D On days when I just want to get home its rather a detour!

Are you in the townhouse complex at the bottom of onslow road?.

I cant remember but there are no traffic lights heading towards wellington?.. is that right?, and the traffic from Onslow road has to merge,
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby flyingkiwi on Tue 29/Jul/08 8:45pm

Yeah - I'm in the townhouse complex. There are lights at the bottom of the road but they don't stop the traffic heading towards the city along the Hutt Road. There is a merge lane in the centre of the road but there are two lanes of fast traffic on your left. I've seen some people riding down the road in the morning as I wait for the bus ( having trouble paying huge bus fares for 6km ride - where are those pedals!!!) but haven't manged to figure out how they get across the road.
flyingkiwi

Postby ThingOne on Tue 29/Jul/08 9:04pm

flyingkiwi wrote: Yeah - I'm in the townhouse complex. There are lights at the bottom of the road but they don't stop the traffic heading towards the city along the Hutt Road. There is a merge lane in the centre of the road but there are two lanes of fast traffic on your left. I've seen some people riding down the road in the morning as I wait for the bus ( having trouble paying huge bus fares for 6km ride - where are those pedals!!!) but haven't manged to figure out how they get across the road.

Yes that sucks.. Phone 499 4444 and ask the council to put in a Cycle crossing similar to the one at the bottom of Ngaio gorge.

Other than that I would go in the middle lane peddle like hell and merge into the other lane, sounds pretty scary though.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby flyingkiwi on Tue 29/Jul/08 9:08pm

Thanks for the replies! It will certainly be an adrenaline filled start to the morning when I first try
flyingkiwi

Postby hickie on Tue 29/Jul/08 9:46pm

Yeap, that intersection is shit for both bikes and pedestrians.

My advice would be to stay in the centre of the lane you're in and hold the left arm out as far as possible. In nothing else, by creating a queue of cars behind you you'll cause the other lane to slow to match allowing you to cross, but someone will probably slow to let you in. If you don't get in you face they'll ignore you and leave you to fight your way across from the center.

Problem is it's still 70km/h there so you get a few pricks that think they can ignore the give way to the right rule and they'll be going about twice as fast as you....
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby RJM on Thu 9/Oct/08 1:25pm

You could always do what I do each day - close your eyes, then pedal and pray
RJM
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby neats on Thu 30/Oct/08 3:40pm

Hiya, i bike like hell. Don't try and hold up traffic, it doesn't work. Most people drive at or just under 80 k/ph so unless you want to risk it just wait until you can cross and then bike like hell!!!
neats
Member for: 10 years 6 months

New User Introductions | Vorb - Latest Posts