Wellington Commuter - New To Vorb

Postby Neville on Mon 14/Jul/08 9:35pm

Um - hello! New to Vorb ... commuter Petone-Wellington 5 days a week plus occasional weekend road rides with local group of friends.
Neville
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby CookedCray on Mon 14/Jul/08 9:39pm

Hi Neville - I've probably passed or been passed by you along your commute so gidday again.
CookedCray
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 27/Jul/08 7:11pm

Hi Neville, I am Matt, and I am a fine day only commuter between Maungaraki and Wellington CBD.
I am a newby to this forum (and to cycling!) too.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Neville on Sun 27/Jul/08 7:43pm

Hi Matt - good for you being out there on the road, and (presumably) biking up Maungaraki hill. Happy cycling!
Neville

Postby YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT on Sun 27/Jul/08 7:55pm

Hi Neville!

Thanks for allowing me to take that wonderful machine for a spin on Friday. And thanks for being a part of the solution to gridlock, global warming, and the paving of the planet.
Cheers,
YHF
YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby RJM on Wed 8/Oct/08 12:08pm

Hi Neville,

I having been commuting from Upper Hutt to Wellington for a few years now - been hit 3 times this year using the old Hutt Road path - including having my commuting bike written off two weeks ago when an elderly lady backed into me just past Hazelwoods (by good fortune I decided not to ride my good road bike that day).

How are you finding this part of your Ride, and what are you riding ?
RJM
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Neville on Wed 8/Oct/08 6:42pm

RJM wrote: Hi Neville,

I having been commuting from Upper Hutt to Wellington for a few years now - been hit 3 times this year using the old Hutt Road path - including having my commuting bike written off two weeks ago when an elderly lady backed into me just past Hazelwoods (by good fortune I decided not to ride my good road bike that day).

How are you finding this part of your Ride, and what are you riding ?

Hi RJM - I believe that the Hutt Road "cycle path" is unsafe for speeds above about 15kmh, because there are too many pedestrians and reversing cars. I always stay on the road and I have had no trouble so far. But (big but) - especially on the inward trip you must claim your space - on no account cycle too close to the gutter because there's too much chance that someone will squeeze you off the road.

I'm riding a velomobile - fractionally wider than a roadie or MTB, but from behind it looks much more substantial so drivers seem to leave me more space.
stgeorges.jpg
Neville

Postby DrewBroadley on Wed 8/Oct/08 6:47pm

Just bought a house in Kelson, will be doing the biking commute thing from there in a month or so.
DrewBroadley
"Spray and Pray!"
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby nzmatto on Wed 8/Oct/08 6:49pm

Cool pic. I think i'd like to try one of those one day.
Yes I ride up the maungaraki hill when coming home from work. I really enjoy the challenge and am getting better at it. Fairly soon I intend attempting riding from the bottom to the top by the water tower in one go. I live about 3/4 of the way up so I should be able to make it, but it is still a challenge for me.....maybe tomorrow...maybe next week!!
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby RJM on Thu 9/Oct/08 12:30pm

How do you get up a hill on a velomobile ?
RJM

Postby Neville on Thu 9/Oct/08 7:10pm

RJM wrote: How do you get up a hill on a velomobile ?

Slowly! The weight is around twice that of a mountain bike, so the only way is to use the lowest gear and grind away at around 6-7 km/h.

Hill climbing is possible - I have been up Wallaceville Hill, over Haywards (both directions) and up Ngauranga. Also from Petone to Wanganui - mostly flat in the middle but hills at each end.

For someone living in the Hutt Valley Western Hills and contemplating a velomobile, there is an electric support motor - see http://www.dutchbikes.nl/uploads/manual ... st_1.2.PDF. I didn't get one because it adds to the cost and the weight, plus with no motor the velomobile is always ready to go - never in need of a charge.
Neville

Postby RJM on Mon 13/Oct/08 7:44am

How do you find going past the Quarry at Horokiwi - I find the dump trucks never give way to me and I'm on a bright red Road bike ?
RJM

Postby Neville on Mon 13/Oct/08 5:43pm

Can't say I've ever had a problem at Horokiwi. Not sure if you mean trucks turning left into Horokiwi (i.e. coming up behind you), or turning right through the median barrier, or coming out of Horokiwi. But as with any vehicle, signal your intention, eyeball the driver and claim your space on the road (i.e. don't move aside indecisively which suggests that maybe there is room to pass you and maybe there isn't - because some drivers will always try it.)

And of course, be ready to avoid vehicles if they force the issue. In that situation GET THEIR NUMBER PLATE and report them.
Neville

Postby neats on Thu 30/Oct/08 4:05pm

Hi, I'm an Upper Hutt to Wellington commuter - 4 days a week. RJM - hv u ever got back ur money for the bikes? 3 right offs - no money. Not poor but can't afford to buy a new bike every year.
neats
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby RJM on Fri 31/Oct/08 7:20am

neats wrote: Hi, I'm an Upper Hutt to Wellington commuter - 4 days a week. RJM - hv u ever got back ur money for the bikes? 3 right offs - no money. Not poor but can't afford to buy a new bike every year.
Despite being hit 3 times (all in the same area oddily enough - heading home on the old Hutt Road) - it was only after the third hit that - based on a recommendation from the Bikeshop to the Insurance Co - that my Commuting Bike was written off (and it was only a year old). Took 3 weeks to sort out with the Insurance and get replaced.

I suspect next year the same will happen - although my insurance costs may go up.

I guess I should stop using the Footpath/Cyclepath thingee and risk the Road all the way home.
RJM

New User Introductions | Vorb - Latest Posts