Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 29/Jun/17 8:02am

Temp fixxor a short length of spoke, elbow one end, a bend at the other - works a treat.

3$ on wiggle, out of stock
$1.20usd on Jensen...
Just gonna chuck it in with another order of something else
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby michael on Mon 7/Aug/17 1:26pm

Anyone have a lead on springs for old school Rockshox pikes? I have managed to pick up a set of U-turn Pike 409's and need an extra firm spring for them.

Happy to resort to bodge job before shelling out for one of these: http://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Pike-Spring-Kit
michael
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby poledo on Mon 7/Aug/17 2:54pm

Hey. Just getting back into my biking after a few years off, and I need to do a drivetrain overhaul. I'm running 2x9 XT, and there isn't much option these days for 9 speed parts. Am I able to run 2x10 crankset/cassette, and keep my existing 9 speed shifters? Obviously limited to 9 speed in the shifting department, can I get around this? Hopefully I'm clear! Cheers.
poledo
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 7/Aug/17 3:25pm

poledo wrote:Hey. Just getting back into my biking after a few years off, and I need to do a drivetrain overhaul. I'm running 2x9 XT, and there isn't much option these days for 9 speed parts. Am I able to run 2x10 crankset/cassette, and keep my existing 9 speed shifters? Obviously limited to 9 speed in the shifting department, can I get around this? Hopefully I'm clear! Cheers.

nope. the indexing for the gears is in the shifters, so the gaps between gears would (may) be all wrong and would only be trying to select 9 gears out of 10 anyway.
for a couple - three hundy you can get full this SLX 11spd(!) drivetrain - shifter, cable, clutch derailleur, cassette and chain, check out torp7 or some of the others... XT a hundy more. That's what i'd do. it's not a massive investment and you get clean fresh shifting, 11spd.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 7/Aug/17 4:32pm

Or if you're shopping online anyway... Vorbs affiliate sites have 9spd Shimano stock cheap as chips.

Don't feel like you have to change just because it's not current.
My HT is 1x9 and shifts sweet.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby matnz on Mon 7/Aug/17 5:39pm

Presuming from the post money to upgrade the bike is not burning a hole in your pocket. - 9spd XT Chain, Cassette, cable and Derailleur - you should get change for $200 from Torpedo 7. Unless your going to a 1x, a 10 or 11 speed is only a small no real benefit - keep in mind 9 speed is still more robust and durable than 11.

I might be wrong - but I imagine your 2x9 bike is either average quality or at least 7 - 8 years old. Likely things like BB and forks/shock will need maintenance as well. A lot of changes (improvements?) have occurred in that time - a drive train upgrade will still leave you with an older bike. Probably better to spend the minimum you have to on this one for now, if you get back into it big time, look to upgrade the bike to something newer (if not new).
matnz
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Postby jo on Mon 7/Aug/17 6:21pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Or if you're shopping online anyway... Vorbs affiliate sites have 9spd Shimano stock cheap as chips.

Don't feel like you have to change just because it's not current.
My HT is 1x9 and shifts sweet.

:withstupid:
I use my LBS to do work on my old commuter (mainly because I cant get at the bottom bracket without help) - a couple of years ago went to 8 speed. :rolleyes: Up from 7 when the shifter broke. I think the wheel is more probably a 9 speed wheel.For the last few years I was trying to pick up spare right hand shifters 2nd wherever I could - its good to have one on hand when one selfdestructed one day on my way to work. The derailleur was the same for 8/9 speed which was nice.

You may not be able to find it online, but old stuff is definitely still available.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby poledo on Mon 7/Aug/17 7:52pm

matnz wrote:Presuming from the post money to upgrade the bike is not burning a hole in your pocket. - 9spd XT Chain, Cassette, cable and Derailleur - you should get change for $200 from Torpedo 7. Unless your going to a 1x, a 10 or 11 speed is only a small no real benefit - keep in mind 9 speed is still more robust and durable than 11.

I might be wrong - but I imagine your 2x9 bike is either average quality or at least 7 - 8 years old. Likely things like BB and forks/shock will need maintenance as well. A lot of changes (improvements?) have occurred in that time - a drive train upgrade will still leave you with an older bike. Probably better to spend the minimum you have to on this one for now, if you get back into it big time, look to upgrade the bike to something newer (if not new).

It's still a good bike (Hope, King, Thomson etc), Singular Gryphon, so fully rigid, drop bar. I should have mentioned in my original post it has Ultegra shifters, so trying to get away with not upgrading them to 10/11 speed as well, I guess. It's got a crappy FSA crankset I want to swap out as the chainrings are flogged, so trying to go Shimano if I can. Cheers for your advice.
poledo
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 7/Aug/17 8:04pm

Do it.
9spd Shimano cranks were still available on crc last time I looked, and road/mtb were still cross compatible.
(mine's the other way - ultegra derailleur & XTR shifter.)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Conners on Mon 7/Aug/17 8:09pm

What sort of condition is your rear derailleur in?
If it's ok, 10 speed rings are fine with 9 speed chain. So new crankset (or rings) + 9 speed cassette and chain would be the business?

As an aside on the differences between 9spd and >9spd, clutch derailleurs only begin to exist at 10 speed. So if you're up for a new RD then that's a big consideration - but it won't play nice with your shifters...
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 8/Aug/17 12:32pm

What was the last generation/year that Shimano XT front derailleurs could clear a 44T with E-type mounting?
Dougal
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby el_booto on Tue 8/Aug/17 3:46pm

Dougal wrote:What was the last generation/year that Shimano XT front derailleurs could clear a 44T with E-type mounting?

the 770 9sp was the last to run a 44t big ring IIRC
the 770-10 may also work, but i cannot confirm.
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby KieranC on Thu 10/Aug/17 6:15pm

A while back I pulled my shimano xt 732 (mid 90s 7 speed) apart greased it up and put it back together, 50km later the free hub had bound up and it almost turned into a fixie.

I've pulled it apart again and can't figure out what's causing it to bind up;

Maybe i lost a washer from between the top cone and internal freehub body?

Maybe I need to scrub the grease off it and lock tite it into the right place?

Or I could just put it back together and hope that it doesn't tighten up by itself again?
My feeling is that it will tighten again as the freehub free wheels and tightens up the counterclockwise thread.

There's 1 there's a 1mm and .5mm washer there.

Any thoughts?
IMG_0050.JPG
KieranC

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 31/Aug/17 5:07pm

After w00ting about my new bearing press, I can't wail hard enough to get the lower pivot shaft out of the Spitty.

The first three came out as advertised with the allen up the jacksie and a nudge of gentle persuasion, this one won't budge.
The googles say heat frame + cool bearing - any tips on safe, easy ways to do this?
Or other ideas?

Chur.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 31/Aug/17 5:28pm

Yikes, people have had to drill theirs out.
Guess I better stop procrastinating with mine.
What does Keith say?
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts