Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Scotty on Sun 27/Oct/13 7:58am

What Eion siad. I used a chest freezer then a heat gun once upon a time.

I also used to use a can of coke, half for the seattube and half for me. I dunno if it helped much but it seemed to work for me with Dragon frames and alloy posts. :blush:
Scotty
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 27/Oct/13 9:34pm

Anyone had a nudge with a 30.8 post in a frame designed for 30.9?

Yeah, sweet - bit of anti-seize and do the collar up tight.... or
Nasty business - gradually fatigues your frame till it cracks...

It certainly requires a bit more clamp to hold it still, and can be rattled in the frame slightly when undone, but it didn't slip during a lap of Makara Peak today.

What say you, good fellows?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Philthy on Sun 27/Oct/13 9:38pm

This is another situation where a can of coke comes in handy.
I've used an aluminium can as a shim for a seat post before - works sweet, unless you want to raise or lower your seat :crazy:
Philthy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 27/Oct/13 9:44pm

I definitely want to raise and lower the seat, I've had success before with the coke shim placed between the seat clamp and the frame for that. But is it going to damage anything long-term?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby el_booto on Mon 28/Oct/13 4:02pm

Bit of finish line fiber grip or Ritchey liquid torque paste and and you'll be fine, anyone who deals with carbon kitted bikes should have it on hand
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Mon 28/Oct/13 10:08pm

I've got a 'tru temper ox platinum' cross frame, which I understand to be a fancy way of saying 'steel'. Is it possible to weld on disc brake tabs? What about strength issues on the chain stay? Thanks
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 29/Oct/13 12:33pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:I've got a 'tru temper ox platinum' cross frame, which I understand to be a fancy way of saying 'steel'. Is it possible to weld on disc brake tabs? What about strength issues on the chain stay? Thanks

i should think the steel aspect would make it very easy, but the strength aspect might make you want to consider putting a wee bracing piece in the sharp end of the triangle... have a look at Cotic Soul (among others) Frames...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 29/Oct/13 1:09pm

swtchbckr wrote:
BrokenKonaRider wrote:I've got a 'tru temper ox platinum' cross frame, which I understand to be a fancy way of saying 'steel'. Is it possible to weld on disc brake tabs? What about strength issues on the chain stay? Thanks

i should think the steel aspect would make it very easy, but the strength aspect might make you want to consider putting a wee bracing piece in the sharp end of the triangle... have a look at Cotic Soul (among others) Frames...

Tru-Temper OX Platinum is very fancy steel, the main tubes are only 0.4mm thick in the middle and 0.7mm at the butt.
Find someone who knows about top end bicycle steels. Silver brazing is stronger than welding.
Here's a bunch of info in bike steels collected by a USA framebuilder:
http://www.desperadocycles.com/Lowdown_On_Tubing.html
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Tue 29/Oct/13 2:10pm

Post your ride thread isn't on minivorb and I hate looking for threads.

Got this badass ready for summer. 32mm gatorskins (because Strayans are really bad at throwing gravel all over the broken glass road surface), new saddle as a treat for my ass, new shimano single sided spd doodads.
DSC_0119[1].jpg
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Tue 29/Oct/13 8:38pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

Thanks to you both. I'll take some photos of the stays and email them with my questions to kiwibikes and anyone else I can think of, or that my lbs suggests. The bike also comes in a disc model, so hopefully it should be ok strength wise.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby charliehopkins on Wed 30/Oct/13 7:20pm

I'm running a 11-34 SLX 9spd cluster on a SLX hub, will this same hub run a 10spd SLX cluster
charliehopkins
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Wed 30/Oct/13 8:07pm

Yep!
Oli

Postby stealth mode on Thu 31/Oct/13 6:01pm

hello wise ones

want to run ultegra 11 speed shifters and derailers with 10 speed cassette? was looking at building a new rear wheel with 11 speed hub but can't find a 11 speed MTB disk hub. Maybe the Hope 11 speed hub with Sram cassette?

TRP spyre's for braking will they work with ultegra leavers

cheers
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 31/Oct/13 6:40pm

Chris King do an R45 disc hub that's 11sp compatible if your budget stretches? Is aimed at the cyclocross/disc brake road crowd I guess. Don't think the 10sp cassette would work with the 11sp shifter (I assume you were just wanting/intending to limit the last cog/shift out?) as the spacing between the cogs is also narrower as far as I am aware, so wouldn't index properly.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 31/Oct/13 6:46pm

prolly running 135mm spacing too?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts