Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 16/Dec/12 9:48am

I did follow the installation guide regarding chain length when putting the drivetrain together.
Might revisit that today.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 16/Dec/12 6:13pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:I did follow the installation guide regarding chain length when putting the drivetrain together.
Might revisit that today.

Yep everything is in check.
As the clutch is a one-way system, the chainlength does not change the amount of force exerted on the chain.
It doesn't help when there is an obvious stress riser on the hanger where it's starting to crack:

DSC04017.JPG
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby el_booto on Sun 16/Dec/12 7:43pm

Maybe invest in a hanger banger made by the same crowd
have had a run of similar goings on with older Dmr frames pre swapouts
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 16/Dec/12 8:02pm

el_booto wrote:Maybe invest in a hanger banger made by the same crowd

Don't think they work on bolt-on Hope hubs though.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 17/Dec/12 8:07am

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
el_booto wrote:Maybe invest in a hanger banger made by the same crowd

Don't think they work on bolt-on Hope hubs though.

you should get a QR, heaps better than bolt up
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby TheyLookLikeUs on Mon 17/Dec/12 8:55pm

Is $150US a good price to get a steel 29er frame shipped from the states? Anyone know a cheaper method?
TheyLookLikeUs
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 17/Dec/12 9:01pm

Fairly large item. You probably won't do much better....
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby el_booto on Mon 17/Dec/12 9:25pm

If youre game, i heard something about Nz post starting a US post forwarding service
may be worth a look :eh:
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby TheyLookLikeUs on Mon 17/Dec/12 9:35pm

el_booto wrote:If youre game, i heard something about Nz post starting a US post forwarding service

Looked into it, but they don't do items as large as a bike. :(
TheyLookLikeUs
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 18/Dec/12 8:28am

TheyLookLikeUs wrote:
el_booto wrote:If youre game, i heard something about Nz post starting a US post forwarding service

Looked into it, but they don't do items as large as a bike. :(

I've got a mate who is expecting an XL frame to arrive this week from the US using YouShop, so there should be a way.
oldandlazy
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 18/Dec/12 3:09pm

Just got a set of 2002 Manitou Black 100-120 Elites to put on the SS (replacing 80mm OEM Bomber of the same vintage, so real upgrade despite how it might look)

Some questions about servicing them... (hoping Mr Bob will help out, I remember using his excellent instructions in an old spoke for the travel adjust on some Shermans I used to have)

The travel adjust seems to work.

The rebound makes a very small difference - I remember the Sherman doing much more for similar lever movement.

From the 2003 & 2004 manuals I have tracked down, the dials on the crown are L-preload and R-compression... Is this right? Neither seems to make the slightest difference, and they don't turn very far, maybe one complete turn each.
(aside here, how similar are the 2002 to the 2003/04 model? anyone got service manuals for 2002?)

The stroke action feels pretty good for the first 60mm or so, then they ramp up very fast, getting nowhere near full travel, I'm thinking this could be related to the damping units feeling crap - fresh oil and service could help here perhaps?

And one annoying physical issue (the reason I prefer IS to post mount) the lower post mount is partially stripped, anyone had any luck putting a heli-coil into a PM? Done it with pedal threads in cranks, but there you have access to both sides... Or some kind of loctite/glue/etc... I'm putting a 203mm adapter on it, so will still be able to remove the calliper - doesn't matter much if the adapter stays put, I'll likely be the last owner of the fork.

Any handy hints out there in spanner-land?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby danose on Tue 18/Dec/12 3:42pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:The stroke action feels pretty good for the first 60mm or so, then they ramp up very fast, getting nowhere near full travel, I'm thinking this could be related to the damping units feeling crap - fresh oil and service could help here perhaps?

And one annoying physical issue (the reason I prefer IS to post mount) the lower post mount is partially stripped, anyone had any luck putting a heli-coil into a PM?

I had a set of 04 blacks with similar massive ramp up and inability to get full travel - problem was incorrect oil levels. Stripped/cleaned/fresh oil to correct levels (bath and damper) and they were good again.

and I did have helicoils done on both post mounts on some old minutes - worked fine
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 18/Dec/12 3:46pm

danose wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:stroke action feels pretty good

And one annoying physical issue
heli-coil into a PM?

I had a set of 04 blacks with similar massive ramp up and inability to get full travel - problem was incorrect oil levels. Stripped/cleaned/fresh oil to correct levels (bath and damper) and they were good again.

and I did have helicoils done on both post mounts on some old minutes - worked fine

Promising, thought oil might sort that out.

Helicoils at a bike shop or some other type of establishment?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby danose on Tue 18/Dec/12 4:11pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Helicoils at a bike shop or some other type of establishment?

a good shop with a decent workshop and skilled staff should have zero issues helicoiling them - however if your LBS workshop wall seems to contain nothing but a range of hammers and crescent wrenches maybe take it somewhere else with a bit more finesse (you only get one shot)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 18/Dec/12 4:29pm

danose wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:Helicoils at a bike shop or some other type of establishment?

a good shop with a decent workshop and skilled staff should have zero issues helicoiling them - however if your LBS workshop wall seems to contain nothing but a range of hammers and crescent wrenches maybe take it somewhere else with a bit more finesse (you only get one shot)

Yes indeed, and I thought I might be riding the bike this weekend, silly me.
Velocipedestrian

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts