Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby oldandlazy on Sun 28/Nov/10 7:19pm

So, the bushing on my Fox RP23 shock has an annoying amount of play. Do I replace it with the same thing, or is there a better way?

This is for a Trance X1, so it gets a reasonable amount of rotation through the travel. I'd prefer something with more longevity.

Specifically I guess I'm asking if the needle bearing option offered by Shockcraft is of any use? Or other ideas?

And if I stay with the DU bushing, do I need to replace the eyelet at the same time? Does it require anything more advanced than a freezer/heat gun?
oldandlazy
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Sun 28/Nov/10 7:26pm

You may get away with just replacing the Bushing ($10-15 each from most bike shops)
Or you might have to replace the hardware if the surface on the frame hardware is damaged and the press-fit surface where the bushing contacts is no longer smooth (Under $30 per end)
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 28/Nov/10 7:32pm

Maestro linkage frames always eat top shock mount bushings/reducers. I've replaced the one in my Glory twice, and did the reducers this time too. Astoria Paranoia has had some success on his Glory with a TFTuned Polymer bushing/pin/spacers setup instead of the usual brass DU bushing/reducer setup I think.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 28/Nov/10 7:43pm

Yeah I've had my Glory for longer and have only had to replace them once.

TFTuned ftw
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 28/Nov/10 7:44pm

buy the proper tool to do it while you are at it also, the socket method people seem to like is full of yuk

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Miscellaneou ... t-Bushings (12.7mm one)

/concur re replacing the 2 piece hardware with some proper 3 piece stuff
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby dented on Tue 30/Nov/10 6:22am

With the propensity of non-qr type forks increasingly available these days, I find it annoying that I can only purchase Hope QR skewers in pairs (F + R). Or am I doing it wrong?
dented
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Tue 30/Nov/10 6:35am

Gidday y'all! I have a query about a new bike frame I bought from Chain Reaction UK a few months ago. It's a Ragley Blue Pig.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39112

Now before I tell you my problem, I'm well aware that I took a big risk warranty wise by ordering from overseas but I really wanted something a bit different.

OK, The bottom bracket has been making a creaking sound whenever I put the slightest amount of power through the pedals and it's been doing so since I built the bike. I've replaced the bottom bracket so now think it might be the shell. I can't see any obvious cracks, should I be looking at a particular join?

I'd love if it was something I could remedy for the lowest possible cost as I REALLY don't wanna send it all the way back to the UK.

Cheers for your helps guyses.
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby dented on Tue 30/Nov/10 6:40am

If its an external bearing BB (Shimano XT hollowtech, for example), its important to chase & face the BB shell prior to installing the BB, so the surfaces are square on to the bearing cups, otherwise it will creak. Its a quick job at your LBS if the BB is removed, they will have the right tool for this job.
dented
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 30/Nov/10 6:44am

:withstupid:

Also make sure that when you re-install the BB cups that you put grease onto the threads of the cup and the frame, so that it does up nice and tight (so its less likely to creak) and helps to keep water and grit from getting into the threads
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Tue 30/Nov/10 5:25pm

Hi thanks for the help! Yeah it's an internal ISIS type BB and I've tried a few things to stop it from creaking like grease, and even thread tape which I heard works well but that just disintegrated with the grease. It's a steel frame... I only starts creaking after I've been riding it for 10-15mins...
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby danose on Tue 30/Nov/10 7:33pm

mudlover/hater wrote:Hi thanks for the help! Yeah it's an internal ISIS type BB and I've tried a few things to stop it from creaking like grease, and even thread tape which I heard works well but that just disintegrated with the grease. It's a steel frame... I only starts creaking after I've been riding it for 10-15mins...

what are you doing the cranks up with - just an allen key? isis cranks creak terribly if under torqued - and munch the splines ( so even with a new bb and done up correctly still creak). basically there's a good chance the arms are toast
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby speeding_ant on Tue 30/Nov/10 8:19pm

So....

Just received replacement warranty frame. Swapped over all the parts. Didn't use the linkage from old frame, used it from the replacement. Nothing strange with my setup, was just a stock VIP '09 frame that cracked, so got replaced with a 2011 Meta 6 frame.

Anyway, when I bottom out the linkage hits the frame. It has started crimping the metal slightly. This isn't good.

Anyone come across this? Either the new frames use a different stroke shock (in that case it should have come with a replacement shock), or this frame has a fault. See the pics for setup.

Cheers!
IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1363.jpg
speeding_ant
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 30/Nov/10 8:21pm

:crazy:

talk to the place of purchase dude.....
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby speeding_ant on Tue 30/Nov/10 8:22pm

Yeah waiting on a reply. I'm guessing there's not many 2011 Meta 6 owners here, but worth a try!
speeding_ant
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 30/Nov/10 8:23pm

:butbut:

Not your new shiny!
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts