Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 22/Feb/10 5:19pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:yeah, thats what i thought... might have to spend more + get something more durable..

cheers

apart from rocker issues, those ironhorse mk111's are a very good trailbike.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 22/Feb/10 7:16pm

Too late!

buying Trail's old 5 Spot instead [+ someone bought the mkIII frame anyway]

Cheers all
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 22/Feb/10 7:46pm

nice bike
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby thorg on Wed 24/Feb/10 8:52am

where do I get 20 inch rims from? (mind out of gutter please) - for a commuter, not a BMX - all i can find are BMX ones at over $100 - I'm after cheap old school (preferably chrome). Interweb has not helped me (wanting to find in NZ as well, cant be faffed with international and would rather support local)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby wuffy on Sat 27/Feb/10 6:13pm

Hi. I've got a carbon frame that I think needs an internal integrated headset, can one of you confirm this? And also, for the right headset I was told (by a Basic bikes chch staff member) i'd need to take in so they could measure it and fit the right size, what measurements would these be as I can just buy one and do it myself saving a lot of money. Help me please :)
DSC_0049.jpg
Upper headtube.
Last edited by wuffy on Sat 27/Feb/10 7:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
wuffy
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby JohnnyC on Sat 27/Feb/10 6:21pm

wuffy wrote:Hi. I've got a carbon from that I think needs an internal integrated headset, can one of you confirm this? And also, for the right headset I was told (by a Basic bikes chch staff member) i'd need to take in so they could measure it and fit the right size, what measurements would these be as I can just buy one and do it myself saving a lot of money. Help me please :)

You need to measure the inside diameter of the inside wall where the bearing seats. You will need some verniers to measure it accurately, there is only a couple of different sizes but they are pretty similar so you need to get it right.
JohnnyC
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 27/Feb/10 6:23pm

looks like it needs an "integrated headset" or "drop in" type

the measurements are quite fine, and relate to the angle on the outside of the bearings, it could be one of 2 different headsets, I can't imagine that you will save that much money by buying on-line, its not like there is a labour charge to fit the headset (unless you're a munter)

and at least then you get the right headset first time
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 27/Feb/10 6:49pm

There's help here on the Cane Creek Headset Finder

:thumbsup:
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 28/Feb/10 5:21pm

I'm looking at having a crack at re-greasing this bottom bracket myself as it seems Tylersdad may have the right tools. new question....What sort of grease should I get? Is any old off the shelf repco stuff OK or is there something specific for this task?
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 28/Feb/10 5:35pm

when it comes to threads mat generally grease is grease.
shmoodiver

Postby Wobbler on Sun 28/Feb/10 5:44pm

red ptfe grease from supercheap (comes in a black tub about 10cm high) is a goer. Some of the thinner stuff isnt much chop
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Owen on Sun 28/Feb/10 6:20pm

shmoodiver wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:yeah, thats what i thought... might have to spend more + get something more durable..

cheers

apart from rocker issues, those ironhorse mk111's are a very good trailbike.

I have a MKIII and love it. Enduro bearing kits are available from www.shockcraft.co.nz at a cost of $90 (when I bought them at least..)

Derailer hangers are still available from a range of overseas online stores that deal in such things. I am also told that cycle supplies have them (to be ordered through LBS), but I have not investigated this.

I am sure you will enjoy the 5 spot just as much :D
Owen
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby notanotherhillscoach on Sun 28/Feb/10 9:57pm

thorg wrote:where do I get 20 inch rims from? (mind out of gutter please) - for a commuter, not a BMX - all i can find are BMX ones at over $100 - I'm after cheap old school (preferably chrome). Interweb has not helped me (wanting to find in NZ as well, cant be faffed with international and would rather support local)

Next inorganic collection? :D
notanotherhillscoach
"take my advice, I don't need it..."
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby JohnnyC on Mon 1/Mar/10 7:08am

Wobbler wrote:red ptfe grease from supercheap (comes in a black tub about 10cm high) is a goer. Some of the thinner stuff isnt much chop

Yeah I recently had to undo a 20mm axle that had been installed with grease that was too thin-that was a bitch! :crazy:
JohnnyC
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Mon 1/Mar/10 10:06am

So, I've got an issue with my rear wheel rubbing against a chainstay. I've inspected it closely, and found that if I undo the quick release, I'm able to shift the axle thing inside one of the drop outs. The other drop out is tight, but this one seems to have formed a little indentation in the frame that allows that side of the wheel to shift forwards. I'm guessing this is to do with a combination of riding with the qr slightly too loose, too many times, and the rear axle thingy only sitting a few mm in the drop out.

I've put some builders paper in there to try and force the axle back into the right spot so I can ride the bike, but it won't last long. Anyone got any better ideas? Frame is an XTC1
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts