Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby yakuza on Tue 8/Dec/09 8:50pm

pushbikerider wrote:
yakuza wrote:anyone know who imports wheels manufacuring derailiuer hangers?

A Christchurch based company called cycle supplies, any good shop will be able to order their hangers for you

sweet, thanks dean
yakuza
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby nostromo on Wed 9/Dec/09 8:49pm

My gooble skills have failed me on this..I know theres various ways to measure chain wear, that notwithstanding if the little rollers are loose and can move about on the pins does that mean the chain should be replaced?
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 9/Dec/09 8:51pm

nostromo wrote:My gooble skills have failed me on this..I know theres various ways to measure chain wear, that notwithstanding if the little rollers are loose and can move about on the pins does that mean the chain should be replaced?

not necessarily
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 9/Dec/09 8:56pm

nostromo wrote:My gooble skills have failed me on this..I know theres various ways to measure chain wear, that notwithstanding if the little rollers are loose and can move about on the pins does that mean the chain should be replaced?

slightly loose rollers aren't usually a problem, measure chain wear with a 12 inch ruler. there should be 2 pins exactly 12 inches apart on a new chain [pulled tight], if they are 12-1/16th apart, start thinking about a new chain. if 12-1/8th, add a new cassette to the shopping list.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 11/Dec/09 4:23pm

righto spanners,

i have just replaced the oil in my old [2002] OEM bombers, but couldnt find a manual for the exact ones...
i picked a marzocchi fork from the same year, same travel, and air sprung and took a punt.

it said to fill the legs to 40mm from the top when fully depressed, when i opened and measured the level before emptying it was 60mm from the top on both sides.

i filled with new oil to 60mm from top and will fit back on the bike tomorrow..

my question is:

what is the relationship between oil height / air volume and fork behavior?
if i could make the travel more progressive i would.

any hints?
or shall i just experiment?
Brimer F.JPG
OEM Bombers
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 11/Dec/09 5:57pm

if they are 100mm forks they should have an air gap of 40mm (per spec), to run a larger gap, such as you have will make the forkmore linear, and more likely to bottom out harshly, the smaller the air gap (ie the more oil) the more progressive the fork will be (to the point of being very hard or impossible to get all of the travel out of it)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 18 years 11 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 11/Dec/09 6:43pm

Hmmm so I replaced the rim tape on my road wheel whats been doing a lot of flat tyres - did a careful job of it and checked thoroughly to make sure there's nothing pokey inside there. And there's no evidence of cuts on the sidewalls or any part of the tyre... But still the punctures. Thoughts?
I'm beginning to think the murmurings of discontent I've heard of the Taupo vittoria tyre could be true. I've got a refuse with some K's left in it so I'll whack that on and see if it sorts the problem.....
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 19 years 1 month

Postby ArjanH on Sat 12/Dec/09 5:36am

happybaboon wrote:Hmmm so I replaced the rim tape on my road wheel whats been doing a lot of flat tyres - did a careful job of it and checked thoroughly to make sure there's nothing pokey inside there. And there's no evidence of cuts on the sidewalls or any part of the tyre... But still the punctures. Thoughts?
I'm beginning to think the murmurings of discontent I've heard of the Taupo vittoria tyre could be true. I've got a refuse with some K's left in it so I'll whack that on and see if it sorts the problem.....

I had a similar problem a few weeks back .... ended up marking the tyre and tube for alignment. Foundthe hole in the tube and then realigned the two. Found a very small (so small I would never have found it any other way) thorn had come through the tyre and was stickin into the tube.
ArjanH
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 12/Dec/09 10:52am

cheers PBR, 80mm not 100mm as post says, but the manual i found was for an adjustable 80-100mm fork: it said 40mm from top for 80mm travel and 40mm left / 45mm right leg for 100mm travel...

will add it up to 40mm from the 60mm current, hope it gets less linear.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby dented on Sat 12/Dec/09 1:04pm

happybaboon wrote:Hmmm so I replaced the rim tape on my road wheel whats been doing a lot of flat tyres - did a careful job of it and checked thoroughly to make sure there's nothing pokey inside there. And there's no evidence of cuts on the sidewalls or any part of the tyre... But still the punctures. Thoughts?

I have heard about this trouble before, its hard to explain, but my understanding is it stems from an undertide of flip-flopping and phillabustering over issues relating to one's belief (or not) in a higher power.

Basically God has smoten you, and it wont matter what tyre or tube you run, you now face a life of premature puncturing.

Sucker.
dented
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Oli on Sat 12/Dec/09 1:16pm

:D
Oli
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby NzidaR on Sat 12/Dec/09 2:36pm

Righto. Who knows what a Coda Expert Front wheel with a 4bolt disk hub would have originally come on?
NzidaR
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 12/Dec/09 2:37pm

My guess is Cannondale
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 12/Dec/09 2:38pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:My guess is Cannondale

deduction at it's finest
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby NzidaR on Sat 12/Dec/09 2:41pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:My guess is Cannondale

Cheers Just thought I'd check up as it came on a secondhand Giant STP of all things !
From a quick look online it seems a strange place for a wheel from the early 2000's to end up :hmmm:
Last edited by NzidaR on Sat 12/Dec/09 2:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
NzidaR
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts