Re: Bike Mechanics Impart Their Wisdom On Vorb

Postby Nick_K on Thu 25/Jun/09 10:05am

Ahoy Mechanics.

Trying to decide on what cranks to run on my latest project and thinking about a 2 ring setup. Was thinking 24/38 (ie 24inner 38 middle) but need to know if a front der will have enough range to shift this?

Chur bols.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby phunk on Thu 25/Jun/09 10:11am

Most wont like that combo. But the new shimano SLX (or one of them) has a model that is designed for that sort of setup.
phunk
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby danose on Thu 25/Jun/09 10:42am

fox wrote:Ok so yesterday I was servicing m own fox forty's for the first time in the shop. Undid the two bolts on the bottom smacked them expecting to see oil come out and nothing came. I was quite simply thinking wtf? SO from any of you bike mechanics experience has this happened before or did i leave the service just to long and all the oil had left?

is this the first time they've been serviced - there has been isolated cases of foxes shipped dry (missed getting filled on the production line). So if you got nothing (not even a drip) that could be the case

I really wish more forks would copy the lube system on the totem
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 25/Jun/09 11:29am

Nick_K wrote:Ahoy Mechanics.

Trying to decide on what cranks to run on my latest project and thinking about a 2 ring setup. Was thinking 24/38 (ie 24inner 38 middle) but need to know if a front der will have enough range to shift this?

Chur bols.

i'm running that setup with dh rings so no pickups and it shifts mint bol, raceface rings on truvativ cranks with an xt topmount.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Monolith on Thu 25/Jun/09 7:17pm

Chur bols.

That will be fine. It's only 2 teeth more than a very common 24 - 36 setup.

WTF do you want a 24T for though?
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Nick_K on Thu 25/Jun/09 7:27pm

Monolith wrote:

Chur bols.

I have chicken legs and a hinge arse :paranoid:

Doesn't really matter what the granny gear is. Nearly everything is ridable on a 38t so I just need something for the few climbs not ridable in middle. A 22t would be too small to work with a 38 and its very difficult to find a 26 so 24 is the logical choice.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby rackerrack on Thu 25/Jun/09 7:29pm

Chur bols.

I run 22 40 and get away with it.
rackerrack
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Nick_K on Thu 25/Jun/09 7:33pm

rackerrack wrote:

Chur bols.

Really? Thats a huge range. What fd are you using?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby rackerrack on Thu 25/Jun/09 7:35pm

Nick_K wrote:
rackerrack wrote:

Chur bols.

Really? Thats a huge range. What fd are you using?

high mount x9.It takes a while to shift up to the 40 but its nice and quick on the way down.
rackerrack
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 25/Jun/09 7:38pm

Nick_K wrote:
Monolith wrote:

Chur bols.

I have chicken legs and a hinge arse :paranoid:

Doesn't really matter what the granny gear is. Nearly everything is ridable on a 38t so I just need something for the few climbs not ridable in middle. A 22t would be too small to work with a 38 and its very difficult to find a 26 so 24 is the logical choice.

yeah maing, tis pretty sweet setup, i find all of my auckland haunts rideable on the 38 front with an 11-28 on the back. use the 24 for big up's like hill rd in vegas
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 29/Jun/09 4:19pm

ok fellow grease monkeys, i has a dt swiss onyx hub that has poo poo'd its bearings, the drive side and the outer freewheel body bearings... my questions to yous fullars is... how do you get them thar bearings out and do normal bearing suppliers have them usually? as sheppards are all out. any help would be appreciated. i have gotten a bigger hammer but that didn't work
shmoodiver

Postby Mr_Bob on Mon 29/Jun/09 4:24pm

what's the number on the bearing?
See if you can match it to an enduro bearing (which you can get from shockcraft) or try your local engineering supplier (blackwoods paykels, ect) and if they can match it up, they should be able to get you something overnight.
as for getting them out, tried heating it? or if it comes out in several pieces, you can get a bearing puller to remove the inner part of the bearing.
My 2c
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby phunk on Mon 29/Jun/09 4:33pm

The freehub might not be serviceable, but the hub should be, bash the axle out after soaking the bearing in wd40 or something.
phunk
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby crazychris on Mon 29/Jun/09 4:35pm

ok, so having ridden my poor old MTB through puddles, mud, rivers and rain, I realised why there are seals on the shocks. While waiting for 'the ladies' to gear up and fishish putting on their lipstick before heading out for a ride, I did some bunny-hops, and a yukkie black liquid squirted out of my left shock. A few more vigorous compressions and I got a lot of black water (?) out, but the seal is a bit buggered. The bike itself was <$1k so I'm not really keen on slapping another set of forks on it, or bothering with a 'proper' rapair, I'd rather get a new bike with the money!

So, assuming that I have a shock full of water, how do I get it out, should I flood it with oil or something, are they permanantly fooked, and based on the fact that I almost NEVER wash my bike, and mostly do XC, if I have to replace the forks, what is a good cheap option?
arr.jpg
My cursed bike (yesterday) - so far, everything has failed on it to a greater or lesser extent. But at least it's black. Left shock shows added blackness where it shouldn't
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 29/Jun/09 4:44pm

cheers bob, got them out... just need to find a 61900rs... anybody got one?
shmoodiver

Bicycle Repair | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts